Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,540
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    lakebreeze
    Newest Member
    lakebreeze
    Joined

The Weekend Rule? Saturday 2/17 - The Icon Storm


DDweatherman
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, snowmagnet said:

This little clipper that was headed north of us originally, looks to be the best so far this season for a forum-wide event. I remember one clipper in the past 10 years where we got about 6-8” in Fairfax, but we were just expecting a few.  Hopefully our 3rd over-performer this year! 

Technically this one isn't a clipper. It a northern stream shortwave from the Pac. We had some of these in 2014 and 2015 when the tpv acted as a block. They can carry much more juice than a clipper diving from the polar regions.  Stripes are narrow but pretty juicy. Should be a fun storm 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Technically this one isn't a clipper. It a northern stream shortwave from the Pac. We had some of these in 2014 and 2015 when the tpv acted as a block. They can carry much more juice than a clipper diving from the polar regions.  Stripes are narrow but pretty juicy. Should be a fun storm 

Oh thanks for clarifying! Good to know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Technically this one isn't a clipper. It a northern stream shortwave from the Pac. We had some of these in 2014 and 2015 when the tpv acted as a block. They can carry much more juice than a clipper diving from the polar regions.  Stripes are narrow but pretty juicy. Should be a fun storm 

Yeah not a clipper. Nice timing with the upper level features. The region is gonna be under the left exit region of the jet streak with PVA as the shortwave approaches. With cold air in place, perfect for a quick shot of moderate to heavy snow.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Yeah not a clipper. Nice timing with the upper level features. The region is gonna be under the left exit region of the jet streak with PVA as the shortwave approaches. With cold air in place, perfect for a quick shot of moderate to heavy snow.

NWS considers it a clipper.

SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT/... A fast moving clipper system is forecast to track across southern Virginia tonight into Saturday morning. Cold air aloft will be in place for much of the area, although the thermal gradient will be very close to central Virginia and southern Maryland. Surface temperatures may be a few degrees above freezing at onset and may fail to drop much below freezing closer to the waters/urban areas and from Charlottesville to southern Maryland. However, the snow rates and overnight time frame will result in some accumulation across much of the area, with the main question mark being south of I-64. Onset time will be between 7 PM and midnight from west to east. Strong frontogentical forcing and the cyclonic side of a 200 kt jet aloft will result in very strong lift and good dendrite growth. This will lead to banding potential with 1-2 inch per hour rates. The location of the heavier bands remains in question, however the overall QPF maximum lies squarely across our forecast area. Travel will likely quickly deteriorate due to the snow rates. The main limiting factor is the very fast movement of the system, with most areas only seeing 3 or 4 hours of heavier snow rates. Snow will quickly depart to the east around or just after sunrise, except for some light lingering upslope snow which could last into the afternoon.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Yeah not a clipper. Nice timing with the upper level features. The region is gonna be under the left exit region of the jet streak with PVA as the shortwave approaches. With cold air in place, perfect for a quick shot of moderate to heavy snow.

I've liked this period for a quick hitter for a while but I was silent because it was a little normal opportunity during a time when everyone wanted something 10x the size lol. 

I am suprised how much it juiced up. Definitely another potential max performer even if in the modest category. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TSSN+ said:

NWS considers it a clipper.

 

Certainly has a clipper vibe from amounts, speed, northern stream but the origin is Seattle. Lol. Alberta Clipper, Manitoba Mauler, and now.... hold on to your seats... the Seattle Slammer!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 8
  • Weenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Certainly has a clipper vibe from amounts, speed, northern stream but the origin is Seattle. Lol. Alberta Clipper, Manitoba Mauler, and now.... hold on to your seats... the Seattle Slammer!

Seattle slammers are the best lol 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, TSSN+ said:

NWS considers it a clipper.

SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT/... A fast moving clipper system is forecast to track across southern Virginia tonight into Saturday morning. Cold air aloft will be in place for much of the area, although the thermal gradient will be very close to central Virginia and southern Maryland. Surface temperatures may be a few degrees above freezing at onset and may fail to drop much below freezing closer to the waters/urban areas and from Charlottesville to southern Maryland. However, the snow rates and overnight time frame will result in some accumulation across much of the area, with the main question mark being south of I-64. Onset time will be between 7 PM and midnight from west to east. Strong frontogentical forcing and the cyclonic side of a 200 kt jet aloft will result in very strong lift and good dendrite growth. This will lead to banding potential with 1-2 inch per hour rates. The location of the heavier bands remains in question, however the overall QPF maximum lies squarely across our forecast area. Travel will likely quickly deteriorate due to the snow rates. The main limiting factor is the very fast movement of the system, with most areas only seeing 3 or 4 hours of heavier snow rates. Snow will quickly depart to the east around or just after sunrise, except for some light lingering upslope snow which could last into the afternoon.

 

 

'Clipper' used to refer to an Alberta clipper. Well, those are apparently extinct. So call it whatever. It's gonna snow.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, snowmagnet said:

How quickly will we warm up tomorrow? I don’t want it melt!!!

Can't remember what year it was but @WinterWxLuvr was just getting lambasted compared to the metros. At first it was funny but then it got to me so I had a crazy idea. I was going to rent a big dump trailer and run up there in the middle of the night haul all his snow off while he was asleep. It was an awesome idea but the crazy factor was a bit much...  I had a change of heart and ripped a u-turn in Front Royal at midnight and returned the trailer the next day 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

The juicing has begun. Love to see the 0.5”+ QPF numbers show up and expand, particularly when they’re over my house :scooter:

Just got a text from the HoCoMoCo deathband telling you and me to get our places ready to rumble. TSSN is trying to make an appearance but busy elsewhere. Maybe a cameo

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Can't remember what year it was but @WinterWxLuvr was just getting lambasted compared to the metros. At first it was funny but then it got to me so I had a crazy idea. I was going to rent a big dump trailer and run up there in the middle of the night haul all his snow off while he was asleep. It was an awesome idea but the crazy factor was a bit much...  I had a change of heart and ripped a u-turn in Front Royal at midnight and returned the trailer the next day 

Lol I remember that …. I think that was early in 2013.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...