Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Weekend Rule? Saturday 2/17 - The Icon Storm

DDweatherman

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Oh it is, but no matter what Baltimore is only getting 5" because they aren't allowed to have warning events there anymore.  @Maestrobjwaknows  

Thought about that a little while ago...I believe we finally broke that during our first wintry week (I THINK...we ended the week with 9.1 inches so at least one of those must've been over 5). Listen, given what we could facing next winter (and the next if the next will double dip like ninas LOVE to do), and the overall uncertainty in our climo, I may not be as picky now. Gonna enjoy the moderate--although I'll still hope for the big one one day :lol:

11 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Well this one certainly could've been one had the waves timed up better and phased more, right?

no this setup was always way too noisy to likely be a HECS event.  The way this evolved was probably one of the best scenarios we could hope for.  If this tracks right I really do think a 4-8" event is possible and short of getting lottery level lucky with a very complicated phasing scenario...that's about max potential this could have been IMO 

• Like 2

Lot of models have wanted to paint this band of much lighter precip over Baltimore for several runs now and its really showing up on the HiRes stuff too... makes me a bit nervous. 

I seem to remember a storm a few years ago that did this "crab claw" thing and it became a big joke on here but it really did screw people inside the claw

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

All 10:1 maps are wrong. Most of the Kuchera as well. Multiply your qpf by 12, possibly as high as 15. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

If the soundings look like the 3k NAM at 6-7z around DC, then I think 12:1 during that period is reasonable. 

• Like 2

If the soundings look like the 3k NAM at 6-7z around DC, then I think 12:1 during that period is reasonable. 

I can’t remember the last time @MN Transplant reported in his ratios and we had more than 10:1 in and around the Beltway. That may because I have a godawful memory but I’m never counting on more than 10:1… and should probably be expecting worse.

13 minutes ago, caviman2201 said:

Lot of models have wanted to paint this band of much lighter precip over Baltimore for several runs now and its really showing up on the HiRes stuff too... makes me a bit nervous. 

I seem to remember a storm a few years ago that did this "crab claw" thing and it became a big joke on here but it really did screw people inside the claw

The last couple of storms... The Baltimore area was supposed to be jackpotted... It never happened.  Maybe it can be reverse psychology this time too and we actually get jackpotted.