Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

1 hour ago, donsutherland1 said:

3.2" at Central Park. Snow-to-liquid ratio: 4.2:1

The record streak without 2" or above daily snowfall ends at 744 days.

image.png.cbe765f7e28c6d36d3f8f3132854aed8.png

Don, can you give us the snow to liquid ratio for JFK and LGA too? Thanks.

The only number out of those three I feel confident about is JFK, there is about 4 inches here-- or there was at the end of the storm-- it's been melting rapidly since it ended at 1 PM.

1 hour ago, brooklynwx99 said:

6.5" here! can't believe we're going to see widespread 6-12" totals in NNJ, LI, and the LHV (heat island spots in inner NYC notwithstanding)

about 4" here on the south shore of western Nassau too.

I'd say 4-6 on the south shore and 6-8 inches elsewhere.  Double digit numbers are for areas further inland.

1 hour ago, the_other_guy said:

We don’t know that they do measure low.

It is a narrative on this site.

If it was really that bad at one of the Marquis weather sites in the country (because of location) it would be fixed.

The fact that it isnt tells me it isnt as bad or off as many on this site claim it to be. More of a folklore with a little grain of truth gone wild.

Nope totally wrong, and I have a long history with them regarding this.

15 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

It didn't threaten it actually came out and most of the snow on the trees has already fallen off or melted and we have large puddles on the streets now.  An hour after it got done snowing, a significant amount of snow has already melted lol.

Unpopular opinion…I don’t mind at all. Love getting the occasional 2-footer, and love the sight of the snow in the air, but once the storm has cleared, it can all melt as far as I’m concerned. If it’s not a monster storm, anything less than a foot gets sloppy and inconveniencing. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Don, can you give us the snow to liquid ratio for JFK and LGA too? Thanks.

The only number out of those three I feel confident about is JFK, there is about 4 inches here-- or there was at the end of the storm-- it's been melting rapidly since it ended at 1 PM.

JFK Airport: 6.5:1

LaGuardia Airport: 5.2:1

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, guinness77 said:

Unpopular opinion…I don’t mind at all. Love getting the occasional 2-footer, and love the sight of the snow in the air, but once the storm has cleared, it can all melt as far as I’m concerned. If it’s not a monster storm, anything less than a foot gets sloppy and inconveniencing. 

I don't care either-it's not like we live in a great snowpack retention area

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Seems urban vs rural made the biggest difference in this storm. 

Coney Island is not rural though... I'd say that 7 inch measurement at Coney Island is a bit suspect but who really knows? Could be they were under better banding.  JFK had 4.2 which is in line with my 4.6 measurement.

8 minutes ago, guinness77 said:

I feel the same way, I just like taking pictures of it after it's finished.  After that it can melt.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Nope totally wrong, and I have a long history with them regarding this.

I measured 4.6 about 5 miles to the east of JFK's 4.2 so that is one number I can vouch for.  Not sure about the other 2, a 4:1 snow to liquid ratio seems suspect lol.

Also, add this in, JFK didn't change over completely to snow until 6:15, I actually woke up when the last sleet pellets were falling right around 6:08 or so.  And there was only a coating of snow and sleet on the ground here until about 7 AM when Central Park already had an inch and a half on the ground and that's when the heavier bands moved in for us. So I guess we somehow caught up to them and then passed them and ended up with an inch to an inch and a half more than them lol.

23 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Probably closer to 4-4.5.

The reason we care is they have been doing this for decades. Not every time, but the majority of the time, and they're especially bad on most of the big ones.

The only period I've ever seen decent accurate measurements was when they had the Conservatory taking the measurements for several years in the 2010's. Why they stopped that I'd love to know.

I do care too and have made many comments about their inaccuracy in the past. For this storm I don't think they were far off. I measured around 3.5 in a few spots. 

Edit: To add, I woke up early (630) and even then there was only an inch at most so there was some lost totals due to UHI. Also we were in the heavy rates for only 90 mins or so mid morning so this also really prevented higher accumulations. 

• Like 2

I got this storm all wrong. Definitely one of the most challenging storms I’ve ever seen since I’ve been a weather hobbyist. Never seen the models this bad, this close in. But I’m more than happy to admit I was wrong. Hope everyone enjoyed the snow. It was impressive and really a big surprise is what has been a complete dud of a winter until today….

• Like 9
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, snowman19 said:

I got this storm all wrong. Definitely one of the most challenging storms I’ve ever seen since I’ve been a weather hobbyist. Never seen the models this bad, this close in. But I’m more than happy to admit I was wrong. Hope everyone enjoyed the snow. It was impressive and really a big surprise is what has been a complete dud of a winter until today….

Lots of people with egg on their face from this. Boston had a snow emergency for less than 1” total. :yikes: 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

We can all admit failure. This storm was definitely challenging to forecast. I also couldn’t help but weenie you, it was well deserved. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Just shows a thread the needle storm like this can work sometimes even with the odds stacked against it 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

This wasn't exactly a great storm, but it was a nice storm to get after 2 years of nearly nothing.

Pretty much everyone got this storm wrong, even the people who thought the city would get a foot of snow or that north of the city would get barely anything lol.

All the models were wrong too, don't beat yourself up about it lol.

• Like 1