• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter 2024

George BM

I dont how many are gardeners in here. But the USDA updated their zone maps this year. I was moved into a warmer zone here. I was moved from a 6B to a 7A. That is a pretty major difference in planting schedule. And basically ends their thoughts of me getting frosts here into mid May. I was actually kind of shocked. Because we had a really cold spring last year. And I had my last frost on May 7th. Type your zip code into this map and you can see what the temperature change for your area has been since 2012. Mine was 4 degrees.

https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/

• Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I dont how many are gardeners in here. But the USDA updated their zone maps this year. I was moved into a warmer zone here. I was moved from a 6B to a 7A. That is a pretty major difference in planting schedule. And basically ends their thoughts of me getting frosts here into mid May. I was actually kind of shocked. Because we had a really cold spring last year. And I had my last frost on May 7th. Type your zip code into this map and you can see what the temperature change for your area has been since 2012. Mine was 4 degrees.

Same, 7A. +6 since 2012. Hard to believe, since I ran the numbers on IAD and it's a more gradual +4 since 1962

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 87storms said:

All bs, pessimism, reverse psychology, and whatever other mind tricks we play...the reality is that this winter is at least better than the last one...and there's still time to stat pad.

I am almost 60% of climo. With 5 weeks of good chances left here. I am not gonna complain about that. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I am almost 60% of climo. With 5 weeks of good chances left here. I am not gonna complain about that. 

Another key ingredient is that the drought is all, but over.  Creeks in and around Gambrill/Watershed are moving well.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, AlexD1990 said:

Ah, there's the hostility again. But why repeat yourself, good or bad? It's been said and now it's just variations on a theme. I don't disagree with what you're saying. You've been acting with a undertone of anger the past few weeks, and it just seems to me like your upsetting yourself more than anyone else. Maybe I read the room wrong.

I have no intention of putting you on ignore. That function is for trolls like ji or manic depressives like maestro. I greatly enjoy your analysis, even if it becomes a little repetitive. But maybe it is time to adjust expectations in a big way, for all of us. I had hopes this kind of change would wait till I was a old man, but the planet seems to have other plans...

I've said my piece, maybe I shouldn't have wasted the time to begin with, because I meant no disrespect or offence, so for that I apologize. I'll go back to lurking. ..

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

How can you say you meant no offense or disrespect and then call me manic depressive? Do you have any idea how hurtful that is folks thar suffer with mental illness? That, sir, is part of the stigma. It is difficult enough with folks making fun of it.

7 minutes ago, Snowguy66 said:

Here we go, global warming alarmist. I heard today that Valentine’s Day and the sale of flowers increases the worlds carbon footprint. That is the problem I have with the global warming wackos out there. Instead of focusing on valid global warming concerns there are cuckoos out there that are fixated on this kind of crap. Geez I was having a good day until I saw these posts. The fact that we have had snowless winters. The last few years is not because of global warming.

We were discussing snow, and how the FACT that it's been warmer lately is affecting our snowfall.  You are the one that brought up all that other crap.  Absolutely no one else mentioned anything to do with any of that.  

36 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Ah so that's what "catching strays" feels like, lolol

I can agree that was uncalled for and insensitive, and I am times myself can be insensitive, but objectively the best way you can stop it is to have thicker skin and ignore it, and be less reactive to everything.  I should take my own advice.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Not if it's a Nina...I mean, we got lucky one time with Commutagedon...but outside of that? Wouldn't want to bet on that.

In all seriousness we can't be 100% sure next winter is going to suck.  1996 happened, although there was a -QBO that winter and we ended up with massive blocking which is associated with a -QBO.  2000 was pretty awesome for 10 days!  2006 wasn't bad and had one great storm that maybe we would have enjoyed more if everyone wasn't obsessed with how fast it melted for some reason.  Early December featured some nice snows also.  2011 wasn't too awful if you can get past Boxing day.  I personally enjoyed 2018.  BUT... given the solar, QBO, enso, AND recent temperature trends and the raging warm waters everywhere....if we are being honest the odds favor another 2020, 2023 type outcome.  But that doesn't mean there is 0 chance things turn out better, and even if we did go that route there were a couple periods where it was possible we could have got more snow even in those winters and we just didn't get lucky.  So if you want to be optimistic go for it.  Just be aware that the odds to not favor a good outcome.  

13 minutes ago, nmyers1204 said:

I honestly get confused as to why people deny the reality in front of them. Are ya worried about being accountable (ie humans at fault)? Or are ya thinking Jesus is just gonna slide on down and fix it? 

I honestly do not understand the take I often observe that goes like "god put it here so obviously we can't destroy it" or something to that general effect... no one treats their own stuff that way.  No one throws their TV on the floor and expects it to be ok because God put it there so....  I really really honestly don't get where that attitude comes from.  

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 3:22 PM, Maestrobjwa said:

In non-snowy news (I'm trying to figure out who the other music needs are here besides @Scarlet Pimpernel, @09-10 analogy, @stormtracker and myself, lol)

Today is the 100th anniversary of the premiere of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue :D! On February 12, 1924, the world first heard that rising clarinet jazz wail that began the meeting of the classical world with the jazz and blues of the American sound. Now the interesting thing is...the original was only 9 minutes long (apprently it was embellished later) and, according to an article I read, this was a program that Gershwin had initially declined to participate in, lol They put his name on the program anyway, and he was convinced later. And the rest was history :)

Here is the original version heard that day, with Gershwin himself playing:

Hey @Maestrobjwa, thanks for sharing this!!  I had heard it was the 100th anniversary of that amazing piece!  I had the opportunity to see this performed live many years ago by the Atlanta Symphony (when I lived there)...and it was played on a midnight-blue piano (can't remember who did the honors in that performance!).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Hey @Maestrobjwa, thanks for sharing this!!  I had heard it was the 100th anniversary of that amazing piece!  I had the opportunity to see this performed live many years ago by the Atlanta Symphony (when I lived there)...and it was played on a midnight-blue piano (can't remember who did the honors in that performance!).

Wow! Ya know, while I usually don't care for funny-colored pianos...that there sounds like it was awesome! But yeah man right now, I've got Gershwin comin' out of my ears--a theater group I've been playing for is having a fundraiser concert the first weekend in March, and it's  "Gershwin & Friends" (the "friends bejng a few others from that era like Baltimore's own Eubie Blake! I appreciate Gershwin even more now! (As "Fascinating Rhythms" plays in my head, lol)

18 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

They may change things but we have had frosts here almost every year for the past 5 or 6 at or after May 10

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Yeah. It kind of surprised me as well. I havent noticed an earlier planting cycle at all. 

Not at all. The one true constant, no matter what the recent climate is, spring sucks in this part of the country. Miserable couple of months usually.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Not at all. The one true constant, no matter what the recent climate is, spring sucks in this part of the country. Miserable couple of months usually.

I like spring here. Yea, it can get dreary with easterlies at time but on the balance I find the weather near perfect most of the time. We get a lot of low humidity 60s-70s mixed in with foggy 50s. Warm humidity doesn't hit too hard until May. 

My only complaint with my CO years was spring/mud season. Lasted 6-8 weeks. Spring in the rockies was so bad I used to leave the state during May. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I like spring here. Yea, it can get dreary with easterlies at time but on the balance I find the weather near perfect most of the time. We get a lot of low humidity 60s-70s mixed in with foggy 50s. Warm humidity doesn't hit too hard until May. 

My only complaint with my CO years was spring/mud season. Lasted 6-8 weeks. Spring in the rockies was so bad I used to leave the state during May. 

Buddy who relocated from RI says the same thing re spring up north, mud season. 

1 hour ago, yoda said:

Anybody else see the new preview for the movie Twisters coming in July?  Looks meh

The original Twister movie is cringey in a good way, and I simply never tire of watching it....probably because it had such a good cast, that redeemed the dumbed-down, melodramatic story stuffed with iffy CGI SFX. The carved-up soda-can propellers attached to the "sensors" stuffed into "Dorothy" which then "light up" the finale twister are just...priceless:D

Based on all advance reports I've read about the standalone storyline for this summer's sequel, I'm reasonably sure it will be far more cringey...and NOT in a good way. But I'll watch it for free on a streamer at some point for "franchise closure" -- just as I watched the subpar Pacific Rim: Uprising sequel a couple years ago, which (similarly) doesn't compare to the original 2013 Pacific Rim movie directed by the incomparable Guillermo Del Toro.

Also...R.I.P. Bill Paxton...can't imagine a Twister movie without him. "Game over, man."  :( 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic