• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid/Late February will be rocking. (This year we mean it!) February long range discussion.

JenkinsJinkies

3 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Lots of cold air lurking nearby on that run. I don’t think this will be a complete rainstorm

Sure... the "favored areas" could see snow aka west of i81 corridor into the Alleghenies... but it needs a lot of work east of there.  DCA is near 40 at that hour 

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Terpeast said:

Lots of cold air lurking nearby on that run. I don’t think this will be a complete rainstorm

Yeah saw that.  I mentioned above that energy (or PV) north of the Lakes maybe looking like it screws us being farther west...but does it almost seem that a phase is in the works (which may or may not be good in the end either for us)?

• Like 1

Just now, Terpeast said:

I don't think the next few weeks are going to be simple SS waves coming a cross. Alot of NS waves passing to the north. I think if that Northern stream would of gotten out of the way a little quicker and allowed the colder air to come east it could of been a snowier solution.  But maybe it would of shunted everything east. Who knows but it won't matter in 6 hours as it will look different. 

• Like 3

Just now, Chris78 said:

I don't think the next few weeks are going to be simple SS waves coming a cross. Alot of NS waves passing to the north. I think if that Northern stream would of gotten out of the way a little quicker and allowed the colder air to come east it could of been a snowier solution.  But maybe it would of shunted everything east. Who knows but it won't matter in 6 hours as it will look different. 

Wasn't that NS energy originally what suppressed the hell out of the potential PD event in the first place?  And now it's farther west.

Just now, DarkSharkWX said:

this shouldnt have to be said but therma

i remember the sne storm in 2022 was modeled rain for them
wasnt 2016 modeled as rain far out?

Not sure of 2016, but I honestly don't recall at 10 days if it looked rainy (or various rainy solutions).  I just remember a week out everything locked in to a major winter event.  Now, Feb. 5-6, 2010...I've heard from others (@psuhoffman maybe?) that it was a bit dubious farther out in time once it got on the radar of interest.

2 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Wasn't that NS energy originally what suppressed the hell out of the potential PD event in the first place?  And now it's farther west.

Get that bowling ball up in Canada a little East and it might be a little colder.

gfs_z500_vort_us_34.png

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Not sure of 2016, but I honestly don't recall at 10 days if it looked rainy (or various rainy solutions).  I just remember a week out everything locked in to a major winter event.  Now, Feb. 5-6, 2010...I've heard from others (@psuhoffman maybe?) that it was a bit dubious farther out in time once it got on the radar of interest.

Those storms had less NS interaction to figure out. 

15 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

Unfortunately, this has become a common occurrence, basically since 2017.

It’s not as bad as it’s been in the recent Nina’s but guidance is still showing a tendency for mid latitude and subtropical ridges to extend too far north despite blocking. Gfs even links the ser with the high latitude ridge again. 

For the last 5 years I’ve heard “that’s a Nina problem not you know what, we have to wait for a Nino”.  Well…

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Gfs even links the ser with the high latitude ridge again. 

Been an occurrence ever since the Atlantic started to warm. The Atlantic is very warm and the Pac is warm as well.  

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It’s not as bad as it’s been in the recent Nina’s but guidance is still showing a tendency for mid latitude and subtropical ridges to extend too far north despite blocking. Gfs even links the ser with the high latitude ridge again. 

For the last 5 years I’ve heard “that’s a Nina problem not you know what, we have to wait for a Nino”.  Well…

If the same happens in a nino, then we can’t simply say it’s a “la nina problem” 

IMG_6050.thumb.jpeg.b25ae13bf88f3d9bd88ba342bd263e66.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

4 minutes ago, frd said:

Been an occurrence ever since the Atlantic started to warm. The Atlantic is very warm and the Pac is warm as well.  

Need to let ships emit SO2 again. Good idea to curb it... bad unintended consequences.

https://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/lower-sulfur-warmer-oceans-scientists-debate-unintended-impact-of-imo-2020/

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

What's your thoughts on PD weekend? Looks like precip may come further north now. What do we need to see happen so it's cold enough other than a miracle lol.

Unfortunately what’s allowing it to come further north (a more relaxed flow than expected) is also allowing for thermal issues. We need that NS wave to play nice. Come across ahead and set the boundary. Or phase in behind. Riding right over the top is not going to work. It’s got a shot. I never said it didn’t.  But it’s still more complicated than I like. I’m tracking it through. Just have nothing to add really. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic