• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid/Late February will be rocking. (This year we mean it!) February long range discussion.

JenkinsJinkies

1 minute ago, wasnow215 said:

Haha see above. @psuhoffmanor someone knowledgeable like to weigh in?

OK, I'm not @psuhoffman and don't play him on TV...and yeah my previous comment was meant as snarky humor.  But in all seriousness, just giving a cursory glance at the 500-mb flow around that time, it seems to me that the GFS just lifts everything more.  The PV seems to get shunted north or elongated a bit, with little confluent flow; rather than forming a 50/50 type low it sits way up there in northeast Canada.  We end up with flow coming right off the Pacific.  At least according to the GFS ops.  Here's one snapshot:

gfs_z500_vort_namer_41.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimpernel said:

OK, I'm not @psuhoffman and don't play him on TV...and yeah my previous comment was meant as snarky humor.  But in all seriousness, just giving a cursory glance at the 500-mb flow around that time, it seems to me that the GFS just lifts everything more.  The PV seems to get shunted north or elongated a bit, with little confluent flow; rather than forming a 50/50 type low it sits way up there in northeast Canada.  We end up with flow coming right off the Pacific.  At least according to the GFS ops.  Here's one snapshot:

gfs_z500_vort_namer_41.png

Ty! Seems like if things are still this volatile from run to run things can still pan out.

PD is by no means "dead". No it doesn't look like big dog potential, but there is a signal for a storm there. The latest op runs indicate it will require timing with NS energy. Well this isnt surprising- it has been a theme, even in the one week deep winter period back in Jan. So far this has not been the quintessential 'quiet' NS Nino. My wag is it won't be going forward either.

1708311600-c8mGOmvQk0E.png

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, wasnow215 said:

Ty! Seems like if things are still this volatile from run to run things can still pan out.

I'd let others more knowledgeable chime in, but that was just my back-of-the-envelope thought and assessment.  And yeah, it's looking at the ops GFS at 240 hours.  I wouldn't put a huge amount of stock in that...being an ops run at that time range, plus, well, the GFS.  But taken in isolation, I don't care for that flow as it's shown.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CAPE said:

PD is by no means "dead". No it doesn't look like big dog potential, but there is a signal for a storm there. The latest op runs indicate it will require timing with NS energy. Well this isnt surprising- it has been a theme, even in the one week deep winter period. So far this has not been the quintessential 'quiet' NS Nino. My wag is it won't be going forward either.

1708311600-c8mGOmvQk0E.png

The real question. How many 120’s deep are you!? :lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, CAPE said:

Zero.

One RAR triple IPA and half a KBS so far.B)

Those 2 together easily in ABV probably = 1-120 Min?  Is that how math works? I dunno. Pretty good reason I dropped trying to be a meteorologist my freshman year of college. Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Why do you think that is?

The southward displaced TPV between the developing NA block and the amped up EPO ridge. That should close off and shift north heading into the end of Feb/beginning of March per LR guidance. Somewhat different setup, but during our wintery period in Jan there was a TPV 'stuck' under a retrograding -NAO. These H5 configurations will produce a busy NS. Going forward the developing block with a legit 50-50 low should help shift/consolidate the NS energy in that region and inhibit it from dropping southward as much.

1708246800-fksfC6NeQtk.png

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Indication of NS interaction at h5 and norther SLP on the 18z GEFS for PD window.

1708236000-TRiDyIlOgRk.png

1708257600-kC9okrqFlzA.png

If the gfs is correct and other models trend this way, we might have another tracking opportunity sooner than most are expecting. I don’t think any of the models are doing a good job with the ns/ss interactions and just smoothes everything out in the long range.

My wag is that there will be an unexpected plot twist in the next 10-14 days. Just hope one breaks in our favor. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Change the physical properties of water so that it freezes at like 45 degrees???

Increase the air pressure. Remember at higher altitudes it takes longer to cook foods? Because lower air pressure = lower boiling point. Higher air pressure, higher freezing point. THIS, is how you get water to freeze at say 45 degrees.  We might need to increase the planetary gravity some. Invent gravity plating, or better yet, gravity inducing force fields.

I am desperate for snow in the Mid Atlantic.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

If the gfs is correct and other models trend this way, we might have another tracking opportunity sooner than most are expecting. I don’t think any of the models are doing a good job with the ns/ss interactions and just smoothes everything out in the long range.

My wag is that there will be an unexpected plot twist in the next 10-14 days. Just hope one breaks in our favor. 

All we can say with certainty is there should be multiple chances beyond mid month, given the advertised h5 pattern progression.

• Like 2

Latest WB 18Z GEFS is colder than normal over Feb. 17-21 but not as cold as previous runs thereafter.  Any concerns?

7 minutes ago, CAPE said:

All we can say with certainty is there should be multiple chances beyond mid month, given the advertised h5 pattern progression.

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

The southward displaced TPV between the developing NA block and the amped up EPO ridge. That should close off and shift north heading into the end of Feb/beginning of March per LR guidance. Somewhat different setup, but during our wintery period in Jan there was a TPV 'stuck' under a retrograding -NAO. These H5 configurations will produce a busy NS. Going forward the developing block with a legit 50-50 low should help shift/consolidate the NS energy in that region and inhibit it from dropping southward as much.

1708246800-fksfC6NeQtk.png

So I'm guessing that's just something more random that just so happens to be a thing this winter? (In the case of PD I guess we need that ns interaction like a couple of you have mentioned).

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic