joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2024

wdrag

32 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

4:1 to 6:1

when you went inland it was more like 8:1

Newark was 8.4:1 and even at my house in Metuchen it was 8.3:1.  I'm guessing everywhere NW of the TPK from Trenton to Newark also had ratios of at least 8:1.  East of the TPK in NENJ/NYC it was often lower, possibly due to lower intensity, possibly the UHI.  And I assume it was at least 10:1 N of 78/W of 287 in NJ and N of 287 in NY.  

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Newark was 8.4:1 and even at my house in Metuchen it was 8.3:1.  I'm guessing everywhere NW of the TPK from Trenton to Newark also had ratios of at least 8:1.  East of the TPK in NENJ/NYC it was often lower, possibly due to lower intensity, possibly the UHI.  And I assume it was at least 10:1 N of 78/W of 287 in NJ and N of 287 in NY.  

Initially due to UHI, then due to rates. Only had the good stuff for around 90 mins in Manhattan. 

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

But if we end up getting 2 snow events out of it (yesterday and saturday morning), at least we'll be able to say that the mid to late February pattern produced decently. 

Anyway 12z Euro gets light snow up here. About an inch, with more for  southern NJ. Hopefully the RGEM is right and we'll see some north trends with the other models. Would be nice to get 2 or 3 inches. 

The funny thing is our two biggest storms - 1/6 and yesterday, both occurred before the pattern was supposed to become more favorable

• Like 3

Just now, Allsnow said:

Getting the feeling we are just about done with snowfall around the area after Saturday 

yep-fast flow might be our final nail.   if it comes down to that it will be 2 brief intervals of cold/snow chances in an incredibly warm winter.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Getting the feeling we are just about done with snowfall around the area after Saturday 

honestly, if we get a little snowfall this weekend i'll take that run. im about done with snow for this season. i enjoy it more in december and january. once feb rolls around i start itching for some warmer weather. yesterdays event was really nice to see, and kind of brought a sort of closure to me for this winter. anything else is the cherry on top

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Prime snow season ends around here the middle of next week. After that sun angle becomes a growing problem for anything that falls during the day. Heck, it was even somewhat of an issue yesterday in the immediate costal plain and the city.

5 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Prime snow season ends around here the middle of next week. After that sun angle becomes a growing problem for anything that falls during the day. Heck, it was even somewhat of an issue yesterday in the immediate costal plain and the city.

Sun angle isn't an issue until March 15th or so down on LI.  If the rates are good with cold temps snow accumulates on the roads during the day before then.  After March 15th it becomes much harder to snow cover roads during the daytime.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, vegan_edible said:

honestly, if we get a little snowfall this weekend i'll take that run. im about done with snow for this season. i enjoy it more in december and january. once feb rolls around i start itching for some warmer weather. yesterdays event was really nice to see, and kind of brought a sort of closure to me for this winter. anything else is the cherry on top

This'll probably be a one hit wonder season like 94-95 with the smaller events like maybe Sat thrown in. Not the absolute basement of lousy but next step up. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

I agree. Enjoy whatever we get for Saturday, which my guess is probably a plowable event (maybe something like 3-5 inches?). The final few days of this month and early March looks ugly

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

I agree. Enjoy whatever we get for Saturday, which my guess is probably a plowable event (maybe something like 3-5 inches?). The final few days of this month and early March looks ugly

It feels odd to read posts from you that are pro snow haha. Either way, I hope you’re correct about the 3-5

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Would be funny if the Park ends up with more from this one

• Like 1

2 hours ago, forkyfork said:

maybe the huge area of near 90 degree water in the west pac will magically cool down despite co2 emissions not dropping

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

2015: “the west coast pacific warm blob isn’t going to magically cool”

2024: “the tropical pacific warm blob isn’t going to magically cool”

Sorry Forky just for fun. Good discussion though in the NE thread.

48 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

MJO is the latest fad to explain a small sample size of outcomes IMHO. We’ve seen it for decades now. 

- Late 1990s literature blamed the big reversal of NAO/AO to predominately positive phases on CC

-early 2010s literature blamed the big flip back to -AO/NAO on CC via melting sea ice

- mid-2010s literature blamed the western drought and cold eastern winters in the pacific warm blob due to CC

I remember being called a climate denier for being skeptical of the sea ice theory circa 2012 or so. It’s hard to have rational discussions about these attribution studies with people who don’t really care about rigor. 

MJO is popular right now because “it makes sense” in explaining a small sample of shit winters in the east. To your point, maybe the MJO stuff is true in a vacuum but people are over-attributing the MJO to our own weather. 

What is going to be the next explanation when we get a couple of cold-loses winters in a row?

IMO ORH_wxman and Forky two of the best posters. 

• Weenie 1

Just now, NEG NAO said:

and this doesn't fully take into account 12 - 15:1 ratio's 

Be careful with just expecting high ratio snow. Yes it's colder aloft but surface temps are still not as cold as I feel needed for higher ratio. Id temper it a bit and say more 10-12:1

• Like 2

Just now, SBUWX23 said:

Be careful with just expecting high ratio snow. Yes it's colder aloft but surface temps are still not as cold as I feel needed for higher ratio. Id temper it a bit and say more 10-12:1

really ? how cold do the surface temps need to be for higher ratio's ?