• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

3 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I don’t see it actually ranked on the site but an older article says it would’ve been category 4. 

Interestingly, December 13-20, 2022 is ranked 4th. If you’re wondering what storm that was…I did too :lol:  :axe: 

YA85qcd.png

I did too.  I don't remember any snowfall at all last winter hmmm lol

3 hours ago, Krs4Lfe said:

A few things that astonish me, and yes I know, I’ve said them before, but I can’t help but repeat them now. 
1. a quick pattern regression after Feb 25th or so, into one that is consistent with a western trough and eastern ridge, which would provide west US with ample opportunity for both winter weather and severe storms (this is a complete shift from the projected pattern for the same period that has been showing up the past few weeks)

2. If any winter could be dubbed “the year without a winter” it would be this one. Only twelve named winter Storms from the weather channel up until this point. And for all those who will say it’s unscientific to name winter storms (I agree on some level), lake ice extent is at a record low, temperature anomalies are near a record high for the northern tier, and almost the whole nation is well below average for both snowcover and snowfall to date. 

3. in terms of winter weather and severity, this is even milder than 2012,2020, and 2023 for almost the entirety of CONUS. Remember, 2023, while being historically un snowy for this board, was historically snowy for many from west coast through upper Midwest and the Great Lakes. This year, no one is winning (except for a few places in Deep South where one snowstorm is a good season for them). I think NYC has only dropped into the teens like 2 nights at most. 

4. And with the projected jet extension in beginning of March, that will put this winter to bed, the chefs kiss. 3 jet extension torches. One for the last 3 weeks of December, one in first 2 weeks of February, and one projected in early March. Critical timeframes of winter totally shunted CONUSwide by a dominant pacific. Incredible. Surprisingly, with the clipper event coming up (and other snow not withstanding), NYC has more snow than 2020, 2023, 2002, 1998, and will likely have more than 2012 when all is said and done. Yet with the great patterns indicated for much of the season, somehow this hurts even more. And it’s awful for storm tracking when much of the nation has been void of snow. 

There is a scientific way to name winter storms, I just don't like the silly names they use.

We can tie winter storm naming to areal coverage of winter storm warnings, that's the most objective way to do it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

LR 6z gfs has 50's/60's to end month :wub:

Right... The "LR " lol

We may get some warmth then... But, all this talk of it being the end of Winter by the end of this month is speculation. So much can and will happen as we head into March. And of course it's the transition month from Winter to Spring, but as we've seen in many Winters past, we can get some whoppers in March ( and we already know about the Sun angle deal ). 

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Seems like a 1-3/2-4” type deal pike south 

Man... Where are you seeing 2-4 anywhere in that map for the pike south.... It shows we'd be lucky for 1-2! Lol

Love your enthusiasm though..you must be all pumped up from that run!

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

True.... And it's coming, but it's not over yet. Still can't predict what we could see in March. We've seen the 80's in March and we've seen huge Snowstorms as well. 

March doesn’t look all that wintry from what I’ve seen. And given there’s no snow anywhere across the Conus that will add increasing warmth as well.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Some don’t wanna hear the end is near

We don’t care about that Scott.  We care that March is a fickle beast….it ain’t gonna  be upper 50’s to 60’s and sun on 2/28 right through March. So that’s more the issue. So don’t feed the trolls..no matter how distraught you may be. 

• Weenie 1

Two storms this winter is about what most expected, a week of winter in Jan with a storm and another ongoing week now with a very similar storm just displaced 100 miles or so south.  Upstate NY to NNE have seen nothing for months which is really amazing and that doesn't look to change at all going into March.  Just an historically bad winter, last year was MUCH better overall for the Northeast.  Most Ski resorts finished normal to above normal, not a chance this winter.  The best month for the ski resorts was November...think Jay had 100 before December this year...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

March doesn’t look all that wintry from what I’ve seen. And given there’s no snow anywhere across the Conus that will add increasing warmth as well.

I won’t ruin folks’ enjoyment of the upcoming refreshers. However, let’s turn up the dial on this rat and cook it alive!  Leaf out by Opening Day. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Lots of snow here and lots to be added to our North.  Winter ain't done. Of course the calendar is moving but I doubt we skunk March.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

This is one of those that keeps trending north right up until go time. Won’t be shocking to get light snow up to NH border 

uq56iiN.png

Be interesting if the evolution of tonight’s clipper pulls Saturday north.  I have no idea if or how that might happen, but hey…

17 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

Two storms this winter is about what most expected, a week of winter in Jan with a storm and another ongoing week now with a very similar storm just displaced 100 miles or so south.  Upstate NY to NNE have seen nothing for months which is really amazing and that doesn't look to change at all going into March.  Just an historically bad winter, last year was MUCH better overall for the Northeast.  Most Ski resorts finished normal to above normal, not a chance this winter.  The best month for the ski resorts was November...think Jay had 100 before December this year...

Everyone I talk to said Jan skiing was fantastic.  

18 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

We don’t care about that Scott.  We care that March is a fickle beast….it ain’t gonna  be upper 50’s to 60’s and sun on 2/28 right through March. So that’s more the issue. So don’t feed the trolls..no matter how distraught you may be. 

I think I’ve been one of the most grounded here. Nobody is distraught but it’s a rat for the most part except for two areas.15 miles wide. It’s a sucky winter. And March doesn’t look like it offers any much better than what we’ve seen. I think some of you just can’t accept it.

• Like 5