• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

Any mention on your local news of the emergency situation in eastern Nova Scotia and PEI? People are snowed in by that slow-moving storm last week, with 30-40 inches on the ground. Could be an opportunity for anyone with a plow on their pickup to contract some work as local crews are overwhelmed trying to keep major routes open. 

Last few days at Sydney, NS (converted to F and in): 

Date ___ max __ min _____ snow ___ snow depth

Feb 2 ___ 32 ___ 28 _____ 3.9 _______ 5"

Feb 3 ___ 31 ___ 29 _____ 16.1 _______11"

Feb 4 ___ 33 ___ 28 _____14.0 _______28"

Feb 5 ___ 33 ___ 32 _____ 4.4 _______41"

Feb 6 ___ 33 ___ 29 _____ 0.6 _______42"

winds have been N-NNE 25-35 mph so not severely drifted just a level or undulating 3-4 feet. 

It's an area used to snow and probably 2' cover is not unusual but 3-4 feet is trapping people in their residences.

10 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah agreed. I was thinking our first big shot was Feb 16-18 range but there’s definitely another window there after 2/20. 

I like seeing the block north of AK too because it keeps the source region pretty cold. That helps in avoiding a totally rotted airmass with the -NAO. We had that problem in late Feb/early Mar 2010. 

You don't say...can't recall.....

3 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It makes sense to me see more variability as far as streaks like this.....that 2010-2015 bonanza followed by this.

well .. yeah  .. fits the CC modeling - the variability was always hit hard in what even the primitive models always put out.  Now we're living it and going 'what the f is all this short term variability' ...

humans are an interesting walking talking diametric super position of utter genius and astounding beauty at the same quantum space and time of cartoon stupidity and hideously disregard-able personal ugliness'

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, met_fan said:

This map looks off, right? (Tweeted by NWS Buffalo)

IMG_0182.jpeg

That little blob in Miane between the big blues is off.  My site was 7.4" AN for that period and the co-op in town was nearly +9".  The Oct-Jan average is 40-45" and that map would indicate only 15-20" rather than what's in my sig.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

GFS blizzard for nrn NC. PD III!!!

I’m intrigued by that Feb 17-18 period. All guidance has a pretty broad southern stream wave…question is whether we can amplify it into the PV lobe over S E Canada. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I’m intrigued by that Feb 17-18 period. All guidance has a pretty broad southern stream wave…question is whether we can amplify it into the PV lobe over S E Canada. 

I got excited for a sec looping it for that reason. Yeah end result squashed...but man that's a solid look.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, powderfreak said:

+9.4 for the first week of February.

What a torch.  Max of 37F this past week, min of 7F.  Big departures, no where near as cold as usual. The obscene departures continue.

Almost the same as here. +9.0, max 37 (yesterday), min 8 (twice, including yesterday).  Jan 23 thru Feb 7 is +9.4 (max +5.7, min +13.2).

55 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I got excited for a sec looping it for that reason. Yeah end result squashed...but man that's a solid look.

You would think that comes north to at least Philly.  They almost always do.  Maybe a mid Atlantic special that gets to you for a few?

10 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Overperformer today, 54⁰ and light winds....so ready for spring if it doesn't snow soon.

I got news for ya ... you're in spring.

These cold outlooks since ... maybe 15 years ago but more so recently, are behaving more and more so like spring cold snaps.   A qualitative appeal that too few are really aware of, either because they don't want to be, .. or it simply hasn't occurred to them.

And guess what?  It snows in spring sometimes. 

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

well .. yeah  .. fits the CC modeling - the variability was always hit hard in what even the primitive models always put out.  Now we're living it and going 'what the f is all this short term variability' ...

humans are an interesting walking talking diametric super position of utter genius and astounding beauty at the same quantum space and time of cartoon stupidity and hideously disregard-able personal ugliness'

Yet we magically have increased length of live 2 fold in 100 years. Humans will be fine and will adapt. Warmer world equals less starving people.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I got news for ya ... you're in spring.

These cold outlooks since ... maybe 15 years ago but more so recently, are behaving more and more so like spring cold snaps.   A qualitative appeal that too few are really aware of, either because they don't want to be, .. or it simply hasn't occurred to them.

And guess what?  It snows in spring sometimes. 

You will be wishing for spring next week. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yet we magically have increased length of live 2 fold in 100 years. Humans will be fine and will adapt. Warmer world equals less starving people.

Okay...  lol     - if you need to go there, that's fine too.   Not sure why but okay -