• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Man the absolute last resort . Trail riding in n N Maine . Please , please happen pattern change 

I’m definitely jonesing for a period of trackable winter weather.

Even up here tonight is 33F with unknown precipitation at the ASOS… white rain.  It’s just been so warm.

Flooding North America with Pacific air… chilly but not cold.  It hasn’t been like super warm with days in the 40s up here.  It’s just maritime air Pacific or Atlantic that rots around freezing… days aren’t super warm but the nights are torches. 

We need a legit cold air supply for a sustained period of time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I rafted with them a number of years back. Great outfit.. plus a small brewery

It's a blast. Used to do the Dead River release in early May. First time I did it pounded beers the night before. Bad idea. Putting on a wetsuit with temperatures in the upper thirties doesn't start your day off right.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Even up here tonight is 33F with unknown precipitation at the ASOS… white rain.  It’s just been so warm.

Flooding North America with Pacific air… chilly but not cold.  It hasn’t been like super warm with days in the 40s up here.  It’s just maritime air Pacific or Atlantic that rots around freezing… days aren’t super warm but the nights are torches. 

Just gouge eyes out with grapefruit spoon kind of things going on right now thru mid month. When there’s 6-9” on Taboo Trail in Eustis , ME there are serious problems 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We’ve had two weeks worth of it down here.  I mean we just had like three days in a row when highs stayed below freezing …,nights single digits. My guess is it wasn’t warmer up there than it was down here? It also happened about Two weeks before that. So I think it’s been colder than last year in terms of just getting any but I might be wrong there. 

Yesterday was a good example of this winter for temps up here.

High of 34F (+8) and low of 27F (+24).

The normal min is 3F right now.  That is so far from what we’ve experienced.  Last year min was -1F, where it should be.

Nights in the NNE mountain valleys should be around 0F and climo is just getting crushed relative to normal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

17 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

We’ve had two weeks worth of it down here.  I mean we just had like three days in a row when highs stayed below freezing …,nights single digits. My guess is it wasn’t warmer up there than it was down here? It also happened about Two weeks before that. So I think it’s been colder than last year in terms of just getting any but I might be wrong there. 

We just went +8.1F locally at MVL in January… Saint Johnsbury (1V4) with a period of record to 1800s was also +8.1F.

SLK at +7.2F… BTV +6.1 (less reliant on mins).

It turned into a +6 to +8 above normal January here.  Thats pretty high-end to have temps of 30.2/17.4 for a mean up here.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We just went +8.1F locally at MVL in January… Saint Johnsbury (1V4) with a period of record to 1800s was also +8.1F.

It turned into a +6 to +8 above normal January here.  Thats pretty high-end.

Unreal might be the word. Wow.

31 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Man the absolute last resort . Trail riding in N Maine . Please , please happen pattern change 

Kev, sledding in northern Maine is one of/if not the best place to sled.   They don’t call it the Crown of Maine for nothing.  

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It turned into a +6 to +8 above normal January here.  Thats pretty high-end to have temps of 30.2/17.4 for a mean up here.

Down here Jan went +4 to +5 at CON/MHT and last year ran +8.9/+9.1. As warm as this Jan was its pretty amazing last Jan was almost 5F warmer across SNH. Ironically, both months above average for snow. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

31.2° and spitting something.

It looks the same out there right now as it did Monday morning. Everything caked in snow. We can’t get above freezing.

That’s also a good theme of this winter.  We missed the last event, but have also had long periods of time with caked and pasted trees previously.  Those snowfalls and the ensuing “cold” have often had a good period of barely below freezing temps… keeps things plastered but doesn’t dry snow out to cold dust. It’s a very maritime snow look.

And then eventually it warms up and process repeats with another marginal system moving through the area. If you score, it’s a nice visual hit.

5 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

I had great fun snowmobiling in charlevoix, 2 hours NE of Quebec City.  Beautiful  up there and snow like crazy.  

Yup..I’ve been to Jonquiere and Chacoutime a few times(right near Lake St Jean)…that’s 2hrs due north of Quebec City, on the other side of the Laurentian Mountains.  Incredible areas. They call those two towns Saugenay City now.   Absolutely Huge Snowmobiling area(s). 

23 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Unreal might be the word. Wow.

It’s pretty incredible to have only 2 days of the month exceed 40F… but yet be at +8.1 for a departure.  We’ve had snow cover basically the whole time it feels like, like the type of snow that makes you want to follow the previous footsteps.  But +8 is a big departure.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MBRI said:

We road Rangeley to NH  on Friday and Sunday.  Its groomed all the way to within 1/2 mile of NH border. They are logging about  1/4 mile.  not to bad and they may be done by now.  Nh to Boundary pond was well worth it.

East to jackman is all open as of tomorrow

Screenshot 2024-02-01 202548.png

We’re heading to Coburn Mtn then Hawks Nest over to 15 mile stream then the Forks tomorrow then pick our way from there.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

@40/70 Benchmark said January wasn’t warm

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

And lets get one thing straight...snowfall has sucked near the coast. Not inland. Much of the interior is near normal. I know my spot isn't the best example, but if you extrapolate January outpout through February and March, I am over 80". Pretty sure much of the interior can participate in that exercise and arrive at least near normal.

Yes, it has been very warm because of December....January was nothing extreme. More awful luck to get that much precipitation in the absence of exotic warmth and have that little snow near the coast.

I said that there wasn't "exotic" warmth near the coast of SNE. Enough with the spinning BS. Tough to justify getting more then 5PPD when you waste them on this sophomoric shit....yea, please, pretty please give us more of this.