Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 19th Storm OBS Thread

DCAlexandria

2 minutes ago, wxmvpete said:

Latest 02Z HRRR at 6AM-- area averaged sounding including most of the DCA-BWI corridor shows a sufficient sounding for some great looking dendrites. We've had more saturated soundings, stronger omega, deeper DGZs in bigger events, but this will still produce some locally heavy snowfall rates and lead to some pretty tough travel conditions. Looks like snow lovers will want to enjoy this one. May not get another real good shot at this again for several weeks.

hrrrarea.png

hrrr.png

LFG!  Weenies rejoice with this post.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Negnao said:

Makes no sense to close an urban district with no rural bus routes for 1-3/2-4 inches of snow. It would be embarrassing if they did close. 

totally agree - but if Metrobus routes are significantly impacted, then you have problems.

Latest 02Z HRRR at 6AM-- area averaged sounding including most of the DCA-BWI corridor shows a sufficient sounding for some great looking dendrites. We've had more saturated soundings, stronger omega, deeper DGZs in bigger events, but this will still produce some locally heavy snowfall rates and lead to some pretty tough travel conditions. Looks like snow lovers will want to enjoy this one. May not get another real good shot at this again for several weeks.

This made me set a 5:45 alarm

This week has really woken me back up to pay attention to weather again. I stopped being active here after the last several times the rug was pulled out from under me and just sort of let the weather do what it will do.

But this week I'm back and hooked on the excitement, and the kiddo has enjyoed the heck out of the sledding!

Excited to see fresh snow on snow, I think I've only seen that once in my life? haha

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, nj2va said:

LFG!  Weenies rejoice with this post.

Alarm set for 5am. Coffee (maybe an espresso martini instead) and a Jebwalk definitely happening. For me personally, this is why I spend countless hours obsessing about snow in this place. I truly just love getting outside when it’s rippin white fluffy asteroids, and the only sound I can hear are the flakes hitting my jacket (and JI screaming he sees the back edge). So soothing and peaceful. Lolz. Looking forward to another beautiful snow day in the DMV…

• Like 12

Just now, Wetbulbs88 said:

They closed for the last event. But that may have gone WSW during. 

If they are right here about the weather, either they are going to have to re-evaluate in the morning or it's going to be a cluster commute. Even with reduced in-person, that's still alot of federal and federal related people moving on roads in way of plows.

5 minutes ago, ErinInTheSky said:

This week has really woken me back up to pay attention to weather again. I stopped being active here after the last several times the rug was pulled out from under me and just sort of let the weather do what it will do.

But this week I'm back and hooked on the excitement, and the kiddo has enjyoed the heck out of the sledding!

Excited to see fresh snow on snow, I think I've only seen that once in my life? haha

I am very glad that you are back; we've overlapped in years of posting.  I stopped being active here after the 2020/2021 season. There were so many actual Winter Storm Warnings issued that far unperformed that season that I just didn't feel like following the weather anymore. But, I guess this season is pulling me back as well.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Scraff said:

Alarm set for 5am. Coffee (maybe an espresso martini instead) and a Jebwalk definitely happening. For me personally, this is why I spend countless hours obsessing about snow in this place. I truly just love getting outside when it’s rippin white fluffy asteroids, and the only sound I can hear are the flakes hitting my jacket (and JI screaming he sees the back edge). So soothing and peaceful. Lolz. Looking forward to another beautiful snow day in the DMV…

This is one of my favorite parts of snowstorms.  Give me a jebwalk at 2a ripping fatties while I’ve got a beer in hand any day.

24/11 with a few flurries.

• Like 5