Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 19th Storm OBS Thread

DCAlexandria

Just now, Paleocene said:

Agreed. Luckily MoCo schools closed for tomorrow. So did Prince George's.

yea schools closing was a must, but the roads here don't look salted and even if they are it'll be largely ineffective with how cold it is imo. roads were already horrible for 1/16, can't imagine that they could be even worse given the higher rates coupled w the fact that it lines up with peak commute time.

Just now, Terpeast said:

Difficult call for LWX to make. Upgrade to warning or keep it as advisory level, considering tomorrow’s commute?

honestly the way this system has been continously uptrending and the radar looks juiced up compared to models, i would opt for a warning. i think snow sticking all over the roads and causing a mess is pretty likely tomorrow, and the way i see it it's much smarter to go for a warning and be safer than sorrier and risk a pile up

• Like 1

Kinda wild considering one of those cities has a warning up for 5-6” and the other has an advisory for 1-3”

Yep, and I think they’re wrong. I think just like the last event your NWS will be playing catch-up. Ours will bust high except maybe S NJ or C DE

Sterling NWS in their discussion to be fair said low confidence but warning level snow possible.  Being a govt employee I can tell you there is probably a metric that if they put up a Winter Storm Watch they have to have a certain confidence level and they are graded on the success rate of their watches.  Being next to headquarters where all the bigwigs are makes it even harder for them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AtlanticWx said:

honestly the way this system has been continously uptrending and the radar looks juiced up compared to models, i would opt for a warning. i think snow sticking all over the roads and causing a mess is pretty likely tomorrow, and the way i see it it's much smarter to go for a warning and be safer than sorrier and risk a pile up

If they’re gonna upgrade, they should do it before bedtime for most folks

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

RAP still dropping bombs. It is still snowing here:

snku_acc-imp.us_ma.png

The RAP is consistent with a band of heavy snow from the northern neck and adjacent WV panhandle up through Frederick into northern Carroll. Like, super consistent and the ECMWF had it for many runs in a row at one point as well. Might have something here! Makes sense when you look at the 7H VV panels. It is textbook for that corridor. Let’s get it!! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

Sterling NWS in their discussion to be fair said low confidence but warning level snow possible.  Being a govt employee I can tell you there is probably a metric that if they put up a Winter Storm Watch they have to have a certain confidence level and they are graded on the success rate of their watches.  Being next to headquarters where all the bigwigs are makes it even harder for them.

Also, LWX mentioned possible CSI. I've seen that before and that kind of snow can pile up in a real hurry

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MillvilleWx said:

The RAP is consistent with a band of heavy snow from the northern neck and adjacent WV panhandle up through Frederick into northern Carroll. Like, super consistent and the ECMWF had it for many runs in a row at one point as well. Might have something here! Makes sense when you look at the 7H VV panels. It is textbook for that corridor. Let’s get it!! 

Oh yeah. Preach brother! We are starting to get hi rez agreement that a PUMMELLING is incoming. We are a god damn #snowtown in Nino's. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Difficult call for LWX to make. Upgrade to warning or keep it as advisory level, considering tomorrow’s commute?

30/20

$20 says they hold with advisory. Only spot I could see a warning is the Mason-Dixon counties.

Atmospheric train tracks are real. Even when we started losing north it jumped right back. Defied a common outcome. Why this time? Luck? Chaos? Or was it already lined up on the heels of the last one?

Had a heater feel to it. That's why I was bullish early. What an awesome week to be in MD. Heading to VA Monday for the heat wave. Lol. 

• Like 19

2 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Also, LWX mentioned possible CSI. I've seen that before and that kind of snow can pile up in a real hurry

This. Before (Few days back) it was looking like that was favored for areas well to our north so I was content with the scraps. Now the trend is very much for this to happen overhead and the soundings/spatial outputs for 7H VV’s and correlated QG-convergence panels indicates that’s the expectation. We will see rates in some bands surpass what just occurred from the past event. It’s a vigorous jet streak we are working with. If you know anything about synoptic scale meteorology and translating to the mesoscale, this is prime for some surprises, so long as we aren’t being lead astray by guidance. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1