Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Storm Thread 3: Obs and Disco

stormtracker

2 minutes ago, 87storms said:

Legitimate light snow in Frederick with visible flakes out the window.  Might have to sneak in a hike soon.

Just came in here to say this. It is a legit light snow that’s accumulating on everything. Radar looks great for this early. It’s beautiful out

• Like 10

Just not doing much here.  Radar keeps showing very light returns to my SW.  I know I'm being impatient but just stinks to have hours of snow, no accums and people already reporting SN and roads pummeled.  

Guess the silver lining is that it IS snowing.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, H2O said:

Just not doing much here.  Radar keeps showing very light returns to my SW.  I know I'm being impatient but just stinks to have hours of snow, no accums and people already reporting SN and roads pummeled.  

Yeah, feel the same way down here around Fredericksburg.

1 minute ago, H2O said:

If you try to compare DC metro snow with people out in Frederick you're gonna have a bad time.  We'll get our couple of inches once the sun goes down and it'll be fine.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, H2O said:

It hasn’t started accumulating again on paved surfaces here either. Finally starting to show again on my car after I cleaned it off earlier around 11. 

Btw, we picked up my wife’s car from dealership after getting some work done down in Gaithersburg off Watkins Mill. She had 1” on her car pretty easily when we got it (Body shop so was sitting in the lot). I think MoCo up through Howard and Carroll/Baltimore Co’s should do well with this one. Baltimore and Carroll will get theirs later. 

• Like 2

Just now, EHoffman said:

If you try to compare DC metro snow with people out in Frederick you're gonna have a bad time.  We'll get our couple of inches once the sun goes down and it'll be fine.

We’re getting snow dude. I have like 0.8”. Andy will get his.  But might take a little longer 

• Like 1

Just now, EHoffman said:

Its not that.  Its the radar.  There is a hole in precip that happens from culpepper to Orange to Fredricksburg.  If you watch a loop on Radarscope you can see how it just takes forever to fill in

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

Btw, we picked up my wife’s car from dealership after getting some work done down in Gaithersburg off Watkins Mill. She had 1” on her car pretty easily when we got it (Body shop so was sitting in the lot). I think MoCo up through Howard and Carroll/Baltimore Co’s should do well with this one. Baltimore and Carroll will get theirs later. 

No issues sticking here, just had to wait for the column to saturate. 

• Like 2

Just now, Deck Pic said:

We’re getting snow dude. I have like 0.8”. Andy will get his.  But might take a little longer 

Yeah exactly we're gonna get our couple of inches when the sun goes down but we're not gonna accumulate like people up north during the day time.  Tonight should be beautiful out.

• Like 1

I thought sun angle was just a meme, but it’s real.
Beautiful scenery, zero work productivity

Far as the roads go, yeah. Think we might be very slowly stacking it up on the grass.

Decent rates in the little green band parked over Arlington at the moment. Think we’ll need to wait til later to really get going, though the consistent snow now is a nice surprise.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, H2O said:

Its not that.  Its the radar.  There is a hole in precip that happens from culpepper to Orange to Fredricksburg.  If you watch a loop on Radarscope you can see how it just takes forever to fill in

Come on Ji.  The good stuff starts tonight.  Roads will cave.  My bar is Connecticut Ave

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, H2O said:

Don't I know it but starting to see some returns between CHO and here in the past hour which is a good sign.  Right in line with NAM's timing thus far.

It’s honestly hard to tell. Many of the globals seem to blossom more precip over us from the coastal, so it’s hard to gauge when it ends by just looking at the back edge on the radar. Hoping it snows through 12z tomorrow.

Imagine believing the HRRR

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Come on Ji.  The good stuff starts tonight.  Roads will cave.  My bar is Connecticut Ave

The real trick is to walk towards Cathedral Heights where all the roads cave and you can pretend the DC heat pump doesn't exist.  Plus the church is pretty in the snow.

9 minutes ago, H2O said:

The 3km NAM from 12z gives us 3+ inches of snow.  Through 4pm it had 0.01” qpf.  This is all just bonus scenery snow.

• Like 10