• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential extensive winter event, I-95 west and with again a chance for NYC first inch(es) of snow Mon or more likely Tue Jan 16, 2024 (serves as OBS thread as well)

wdrag

4 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I think the TAFs are a tad too fast at the airports...RASN at LGA by 12Z just seems crazy to me...I'd say PLSN or FZRAPL by 14-15Z makes more sense.  The TAFs tend to be automated these days now anyway so often they can disagree with the grids

I just don’t understand what happened with this forecast. any changeover was supposed to be down by the coast at 1 PM now they have me going to ice up here, and the coast going to rain by 10 AM. major shift that I don’t see reflected in the models.

fwiw on the megalopolis cities first 1".  

DCA AT 4P 0.7.  Since then en ought measurable to suggest at least 1"

BWI at 4P 0.5.  Since then approaching 1.

PHL Trace through 4P.

I've seen 1-2": near Richmond and just southwest of DCA, with 0.5 to near 1" DCA-BWI.

This seems to be a mainly Tuesday morning snow-ice show for our NYC subforum...about a 12-15 hour event. Short term guidance is getting pretty firm on warming aloft NYC and to just west if I95 near or just after sunrise.   I'm not counting on. the globals regarding changover.

Best snow in the broad 4-6" axis in dark blue.  I think this forecast may be 2" too low in northwest Ct/w MA.

image.thumb.png.eb20eedcafdf217afdd908f85615150e.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, wdrag said:

fwiw on the megalopolis cities first 1".  

DCA AT 4P 0.7.  Since then en ought measurable to suggest at least 1"

BWI at 4P 0.5.  Since then approaching 1.

PHL Trace through 4P.

I've seen 1-2": near Richmond and just southwest of DCA, with 0.5 to near 1" DCA-BWI.

This seems to be a mainly Tuesday morning snow-ice show for our NYC subforum...about a 12-15 hour event. Short term guidance is getting pretty firm on warming aloft NYC and to just west if I95 near or just after sunrise.   I'm not counting on. the globals regarding changover.

Best snow in the broad 4-6" axis in dark blue.  I think this forecast may be 2" too low in northwest Ct/w MA.

image.thumb.png.eb20eedcafdf217afdd908f85615150e.png

That would be two snowstorms in a row where the better amounts go around me to the N/NW by just a few miles

3 hours ago, psv88 said:

Interesting. Upton sees Suffolk all the way to Nassau border going to plain rain for 7 hours. Not sure any model has that. It also increased some amounts to 3.5 or so for western Suffolk. Will be interesting to see. I doubt we hit the forecast high of 38. Temp busted low today as well

For us we may reach 32-33 but we probably have several hours with light freezing rain or freezing drizzle. The immediate coast probably goes to 35 or so and rain. A good bit tougher to get rid of the surface cold on the north shore. The mesos are more sticky with the cold air here which is likely more accurate. 

• Like 1