• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential extensive winter event, I-95 west and with again a chance for NYC first inch(es) of snow Mon or more likely Tue Jan 16, 2024 (serves as OBS thread as well)

wdrag

Attached are two 24 hour EPS graphics from the 12z/10 cycle that are significant for D6-7. The CMCE and GEFS are much less of snow risk for the northeast USA, so far. This thread is started because of the several consecutive cycles, although variable placement, EPS persistent snow threat for the I84 or I95 corridor, and it's possible snowfall outcome for NYC.  

Also is attached the 19z/10n Blend of Models from the NWS as a sketchy idea for I95. 

Reminders: The CMCE and GEFS are weak with the snow risk.  

Tags may be adjusted in a few days as it becomes clear whether our NYC subforum only gets a short period of snow/flurries in the wake of a strong windy cold frontal passage with single number-teens wind chill by Wednesday morning, or we realize a nice coastal wave of low pressure that produces hazardous wintry weather for the majority of the NYC subforum, then followed by a shot of the wind driven cold.  

This system is not as clear cut at D6-7 as previous storm threads in Dec-Jan, so uncertainty exists. 

[Typo on headline     Thread.    updated 854PM/10]

Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 5.45.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 5.45.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 5.48.09 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• wdrag changed the title to Potential extensive winter event, I-95 west and with again a chance for NYC first inch(es) of snow Mon or more likely Tue Jan 16, 2024 (serves as OBS threa as well)
  • wdrag changed the title to Potential extensive winter event, I-95 west and with again a chance for NYC first inch(es) of snow Mon or more likely Tue Jan 16, 2024 (serves as OBS thread as well)
  • Rjay pinned this topic

best looking OP model solution at 0Z so far is the GEM - but 1 important ingredient is missing for a SECS - strong HP in southeast Canada also temps near the surface are too warm too support much accumulation in the metro

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_24.png

gem_T2m_us_25.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

This airmass coming is alot colder 

yes that is why the intensity and the timing of the heaviest precip is critical because the beginning hours of the precip don't look cold enough need a few hours of steady snowfall when the colder air arrives

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

It's going to snow. Just wait til Friday's storm is out of the way. 

2 possible snow events likely before mild up followed by more threats in February.

Agreed. Upcoming pattern much better. Sick PNA ridge modeled on some of the globals for next week. I am optimistic 

• Like 4

Good morning: one and done for me today on this event.  Here's how I'm melding what Ive seen. 

What is said below is only my take... 

Next Monday -Tuesday the 15th-16th: Virginia to NYS and northern New England. A period of light snow possible Monday with an inch or less ,if it occurs, especially Philly Baltimore. Then a widespread snow event with delays-cancellations sometime Tuesday. Note: this disagrees with the current NWS outlook and is much heavier than the NWS proposed outcome---so what I say is not a lock. It is what I think will occur but I could be too heavy. Thinking the primary snowfall of more than 4" lies probably just west of I95 but even the big cities from DC-NYC-BOS will probably see some sort of snow accumulation-just too early for the big cities with potential for an ice-snow mix near I95.  Modeling is showing consensus for an impact player. Axis unknown- this is my best guess. I use this for my own planning which means probably no work for me Monday-Wednesday next week because of MLK holiday and then snow covered  outdoor infrastructure and unsafe for me. Temps Monday-Wednesday probably do not exceed freezing or barely above freezing from just northwest of I95 to Canada so the ground will be frozen again making it easier to accumulate despite treatments.

• Like 4