• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential extensive winter event, I-95 west and with again a chance for NYC first inch(es) of snow Mon or more likely Tue Jan 16, 2024 (serves as OBS thread as well)

wdrag

Just now, vegan_edible said:

can someone explain to me why the cutter would change the track? i think i get it but also don't lmao

Models are speculating what they think in regards to how the cutter will change the pattern or what will happen. When models get data after the cutter it will be more up to date. I think 

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

More so in El Nino patterns or patterns with strong NATL blocking you'll tend to see changes from Day 5 inside than you otherwise would because the faster flow in other patterns is likely to mess things up but the big cutter yet to happen is likely something that will change the evolution 

Typically, the Euro shines during El Niños (southern stream) and the GFS sucks, it does much better in northern branch dominated/Nina winters

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

Models are speculating what they think in regards to how the cutter will change the pattern or what will happen. When models get data after the cutter it will be more up to date. I think 

Adding to this:  First, the cutter is a huge storm. Watch what it does on the GFS on tropical - hit PLAY on this map on the link and you can see in motion how the whole eastern half of the US is impacted by this thing. 

GFS Model – 500mb Height & MSLP for CONUS | Tropical Tidbits

It ultimately acts as a 'gear' helping pull cold down in the eastern 1/3 of the US.  Exactly HOW that low amplifies the pattern is whats at stake.  A Met will chime in right now and correct me.

• Like 1

Just now, SBUWX23 said:

I feel like what's going on in the 50/50 region is very important to this outcome. Let's hope it's onto something because I think this prevents the low from being an inland runner.

gfs_z500_vort_atl_21.png

However any closer and it's a ptype problem for the coast and big cities 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wishcast_hater said:

You must be one of the most negative posters on here. Always bringing up worst case for it not to snow, always looking forward to “torches”. It’s tiring.

Always supports his opinion with thorough explanations, images, data etc. 

Although, it may not be what everyone wants to hear, I have learned a lot about weather from him. As well as a lot of others on here. 

Hoping it snows for All in this forum

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 3

5 minutes ago, milleand said:

Although, it may not be what everyone wants to hear, I have learned a lot about weather from him. As well as a lot of others on here. 

Whether you want to read it or not (put him on Ignore if you don’t want to read it), he hasn’t been wrong. He might be right for the wrong reason and he picks too many fights but there is some analysis/reasoning behind what he says. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, milleand said:

You are obviously new here. The guy never thinks it's going to snow and any model that shows nothing or warm and wet is the model that he hugs. I have never seen a positive post from him about an upcoming event if it means a snow possibility. With this snow potential next week the CMC, GFS, Ukie, Icon show a possible wintry solution to differing degrees. The Euro shows nothing. Which model do you think he is touting right now? I just laugh. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

Close to the coast is what we want. You want a rapidly deepening system and then the rest will take care of itself.

We don't want it too close as that introduces issues aloft and potentially surface.