• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential extensive winter event, I-95 west and with again a chance for NYC first inch(es) of snow Mon or more likely Tue Jan 16, 2024 (serves as OBS thread as well)

wdrag

8 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The GFS may be playing to its bias of being too far to the SE at this range as the 12z UKMET looks as amped up as the CMC.

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?carte=1021&ech=24&nh=1&archive=0

In winter, as the last inland storm. CMC is I think the leader.  I continue that now that we’re in real winter.  That means at least some rain coast Will check back tonight sometime.  Glad there is something to track

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Based on current model guidance, do I have a chance for some snow down here in northern Ocean (about 8-10 miles inland)? 

I have that pang of doubt that the coast will rain but with a much further south and east mix zone / cutoff than the last storm, which of course will be good for NYC. But my anxiety is slowly ratcheting up. The theme of “the coast rains” has been strong this season, though I think NYC latitude will do better this time (which is good). Also thinking Middlesex and north should be solid. 

1 minute ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Based on current model guidance, do I have a chance for some snow down here in northern Ocean (about 10 miles inland)? 

I have that pang of doubt that the coast will rain but with a much further south and east mix zone / cutoff than the last storm, which of course will be good for NYC. But my anxiety is slowly ratcheting up. The theme of “the coast rains” has been strong this season, though I think NYC latitude will do better this time (which is good). Also thinking Middlesex and north should be solid. 

Still 5 days away. Gonna be lots of changes. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I am concerned that the Euro is hanging too much energy back to the SW and it comes closer to the CMC in later runs.

B031C76D-C1BF-4E78-9752-55C2A5C928B0.thumb.png.d2b0ac6520add880f7e8151d6ac15c3d.png

9950FCFB-AB96-4EEA-8A7C-520BFBE24754.thumb.png.d033c993ab8faea8c2f4770a01105d49.png

Well any model could be off 5 days out.And your smart enough to know that GEM is a crap model. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 2

The key piece here is the Southern vort near Texas on Monday. That has to get out ahead of the deepening trough coming down from the Plains. If that piece is too far out ahead it will get kicked OTS. If too slow we will have a cutter. This is far from a slam dunk. Right now it's a bit too far out ahead so the system deepens more after it passes us and closes off over Maine. First shot at a true Miller A this season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The key piece here is the Southern vort near Texas on Monday. That has to get out ahead of the deepening trough coming down from the Plains. If that piece is too far out ahead it will get kicked OTS. If too slow we will have a cutter. This is far from a slam dunk. Right now it's a bit too far out ahead so the system deepens more after it passes us and closes off over Maine. First shot at a true Miller A this season.

I don't think you're getting any cutter from this but certainly something that tracks from say Nola to overhead NYC is possible which in essence is the sane result ptype wise as a cutter I guess :D

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I don't think you're getting any cutter from this but certainly something that tracks from say Nola to overhead NYC is possible which in essence is the sane result ptype wise as a cutter I guess :D

I don't think this is going West of the mountains but I think a costal hugger or a track right overhead like you said is certainly within the range of possibilities. 

• Like 1