• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Another intense Great Lakes storm late Friday 1/12 with the brunt of 1" rain/shore gusts ~50 MPH Friday night, followed by widespread west gusts 40- possibly 50 MPH late Sat-Sun 1/13-14/2024. This serves as the OBS thread late Fri onward.

wdrag

7 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

Problem will be the Passaic River which is still rising and not forecasted to crest until late tonight or early tomorrow morning. Any additional rain will prolong the major flooding into early next week as indicated on the hydrograph predictions. 

Stage forecast from the ensembles which NERFC is following, has a higher crest this weekend on the Passaic.

Kind of gutsy no high wind watches NJ, e PA, e NYS LI.  (I know I'm not that good at discerning 5 knots model bias too high). Could be just a few less power outages than Tuesday night but am pretty sure all offices will have some LSR's wind related.  Between 9P-5A, I think we're going to see 45-50 knots at a number of metar sites from the Poconos through NJ LI (a 2 hour buffeting and I'm not counting on holding onto power)  Looks to be slightly different areas getting hit this time... so maybe LI will stay below 45 kt,  but am not counting on it.

Will recheck tomorrow morning. 

I can't add any more now.  I'll be looking at snow-sleet here in Sussex County of nw NJ around 5-7P tomorrow for an hour or 2, I think. 

• Like 1

Would expect two rounds of convection with (a) occluded P front and (b) arctic front about 6 hrs afterwards, so around 0400-0600h and 1000-1200h EST. 

Will say widespread gusts into 40s but isolated 50s, it's active but not loaded with energy. Temp peak around 10:00h 51-54F. Falling into low 40s after arctic front passes, scattered flurries likely by evening in 32-34F range. 

• Like 1

MEH... Winds generally below 40 knots so far. 50 KT Scranton and power outages northern PA, eastern-central NYS/ northwestern NJ where 62 Mph occurred near Hamburg Mountain. Max rainfall missed the previously flooded basins (missed to the east) which is a good thing so the second even higher stage for the mainstreams may not occur in NJ.  Will post CocoRaHs map and any LSR's around 10A, as time available.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Looks like the highest tide at Freeport of the 2020s so far.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=01310521&legacy=1

0EFC4D73-1A8F-4781-930C-8AD456DAABD1.png.7ae9d5ecbaccd93a4710c9a2819e1a9e.png

Definitely more tidal flooding today than the last storm. Meadowbrook Pky, Wantagh Pky near Jones Beach under water. Parts of Howard Beach and Broad Channel under water along with a couple of blocks of Cross Bay Blvd in Queens.

Edit: Island Park LIRR station also flooded.

• Like 2