Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 11-13th Blizzard

1 hour ago, nwohweather said:

Where are you? I'm by the river in P-Burg/Waterville

I'm just outside of Perrysburg. It's like 1" with a terrible snow ratio. but hey, large flakes. could be some rain/drizzle upcoming shortly

Here's what it looks like at street level here before it gets dark. I don't have measurements, but our total compacted depth (all gained in the past week) is ~12". The bottom 2 inches was thick crust I needed to punch through.

It's been all snow except for about 30 minutes of mixed SN/IP at about 8:30am.

Sorry I didn't get a morning shot - buildings were plastered with snow from the weenie band but then temps went to 33 and most of it melted off the sides of buildings.

PXL_20240112_222225155_2.jpg

• Like 6

This might be the strangest storm I have seen out this way. Too see Chicago with rain while to the east the rain/snow line has been nudging south ( Near Ft. Wayne  ) and a slp nearly over Chicago? At worst it looks like the so called dry slot will be paying a visit here later on. 

1 hour ago, frostfern said:

I really doubt lake temperature has any significant impact on the track of winter storms.  The lake only becomes an issue when temperatures are marginal to begin with.  If the air coming over the lake was in the middle 20s, the warmth would boost snowfall. Milwaukee got a boost from the warmer lake temps. If the air is 32 to begin with, then raising the temp 3-4 degrees is a problem.

Maybe I should have re-phrased the issue.  If the lake temps were 2-4 degrees cooler like they should be this time of year, we could have gotten away with the imperfect tracks of both systems.  Once the winds turned east, areas near the lake were toast in both cases. It was even bad further inland. Last night, temps in SW Lake County IL were in the low 20s around 8PM, then shot up 8-12 degrees very quickly once the winds turned east.  There was no margin for error.  If this were November, you expect these issues...but not in January.

Chicago and RC's points about the poor antecedent airmass were also true - can't argue with that - and I I tip my hat.

Not trying to argue with anyone on this - but simply acknowledging and relating to the pain of snow lovers in the city who have a legitimate right to be furious and sad right now. Oh well, first-world problems...but it's a weather board after all, and the past two winters have been bad enough in our area. 

Edit: Just saw mimillman mention that Wicker Park has no more snow cover right now...that's ridiculous. Warm lake temps are definitely a factor...how could they not be? Not saying it's the only factor. Hopefully you guys can get some of the wraparound snow overnight. 

Edit: Just saw mimillman mention that Wicker Park has no more snow cover right now...that's ridiculous. Warm lake temps are definitely a factor...how could they not be? Not saying it's the only factor. Hopefully you guys can get some of the wraparound snow overnight. 

I’m in Humboldt Park, about 4 miles from the lake, and we still had about 2 inches of compacted snow before the sun started setting. Been steady rain for hours though, really a bummer after this morning.

Front of my house at 9am
7e9673d31c419450a50b59b3a6c18cfc.jpg
vs 3:30 pm:
aba8e94bdc51f1ed12ee9ce373c5fed0.jpg

Bonus pic of my slushman - he looks worried for the same reason we all have been.
0540b3aaae6fe9981ad8c583662a0349.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Also fun fact, because of the snow wednesday night occuring over midnight. Madison now is on a 3 day stretch of recording over an inch of snow, which is already the 6th longest on record. We will definitely get 4 today and most likely get 5 tomorrow. Which would tie the stretch from 12/15/74-12/19/74 for the most consecutive days with an inch or greater snowfall on record.

• Like 3

Maybe I should have re-phrased the issue.  If the lake temps were 2-4 degrees cooler like they should be this time of year, we could have gotten away with the imperfect tracks of both systems.  Once the winds turned east, areas near the lake were toast in both cases. It was even bad further inland. Last night, temps in SW Lake County IL were in the low 20s around 8PM, then shot up 8-12 degrees very quickly once the winds turned east.  There was no margin for error.  If this were November, you expect these issues...but not in January.
Chicago and RC's points about the poor antecedent airmass were also true - can't argue with that - and I I tip my hat.
Not trying to argue with anyone on this - but simply acknowledging and relating to the pain of snow lovers in the city who have a legitimate right to be furious and sad right now. Oh well, first-world problems...but it's a weather board after all, and the past two winters have been bad enough in our area. 

It’s all about the track of the low and its speed. Aside from the immediate lakefront, prolonged north easterly fetch would have made things interesting.

• Like 1

This morning was briefly exciting, but rain throughout the day has eliminated nearly all snowcover. Unless a miracle happens with passing snow showers overnight, we’ll go into the deep cold with a bare ground. Even so, it’s been fun tracking the storm and watching it evolve over the past several days. Congrats to those who cashed in! 

On somewhat of a futility watch - if we don’t get appreciable accumulation in the next two weeks, will be slightly behind the disaster of ‘22-‘23 winter to-date. Nuts. :blink:

Just to echo what’s already been said about lake influence, this had nothing to do with the lake and everything to do with the secondary low not taking over as early as previously progged. You had a primary low bomb out and track directly over Cook county into a stale antecedent airmass. Even if the lake were frozen over, that would still be a rainstorm outside of the preliminary WAA, which is exactly what happened.

• Like 1