• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-7 Storm Discussion: we’re due?

WxUSAF

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

3k Temps and Dews just before precip starts. I think its going to be close for the metros. But I think it would start as snow there as well.

yeah 3k is cautiously optimistic for a few hours of snow. And frankly, it's on the razor's edge for the hours afterwards.

rates would do a lot -- plus a rare positive trend. We've still got ~2 days to cut temps by 1-3 degrees. image.thumb.png.8ec9a179d60704541a3fe361d8fd10c0.png

• Like 3

Really stinks for Virginia ski resorts if they can't get a nice clean snow to drizzle event. 

4 minutes ago, Ellinwood said:

Been awhile...

I could see some "boom" areas in the far NW burbs of the I-95 corridor if there's heavy rates late Saturday afternoon into Saturday evening, otherwise I'm more pessimistic than optimistic. Lines up fairly well with the NWS at least from Philly southward.

image.png.7bc0fd35434d5b0a2b370ec0f8a0e4f8.png

Seems reasonable. Not your focus, but the euro (and to a lesser extent, GFS) had some interaction with that trailing low that provided some hope for NYC/Boston. 

5 minutes ago, mappy said:

Sounding IMBY per NAM (looking at 3k and 12k) and I hover right at 31/32 the entire time. If it's dumping precip, it should be snow. A sneaky warm nose pops up around hr66 but precip is moving out by then. 

Can’t see where you are on my phone, but 850s look good for most of the region.

Surface temps are definitely struggling now though, with just about the worst timing possible (that’s a big part of what killed us, this was initially going to be an all-overnight Sat storm.) 

But yeah, if the rates get up there something should stick… LWX seems to think most of this will transition to rain, which I don’t really agree with given most of the 850s in the area. 

It’s starting to sound like one of those messes that just goes back and forth. 

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

yeah 3k is cautiously optimistic for a few hours of snow. And frankly, it's on the razor's edge for the hours afterwards.

rates would do a lot -- plus a rare positive trend. We've still got ~2 days to cut temps by 1-3 degrees. image.thumb.png.8ec9a179d60704541a3fe361d8fd10c0.png

The real issue with this event has been that since 6z yesterday we’ve seen every cycle wobble just a little warmer. If we can just reverse that trend there’s still some potential … 

3 minutes ago, paulythegun said:

Really stinks for Virginia ski resorts if they can't get a nice clean snow to drizzle event. 

Seems reasonable. Not your focus, but the euro (and to a lesser extent, GFS) had some interaction with that trailing low that provided some hope for NYC/Boston. 

Most around here and WV haven’t had good snow since Covid, I can’t comprehend how any are still in business - though I guess Timberline was sold and re-structured, but wow.. bad timing for the new guys. I miss going out there. 

3 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

How confident are you?

That we see snow? Very. That we get 8+? Not at all. The 3k manages to hold on to the column through the entire event out here. It is close at 20z. But that is a solid thumping going on at that time. My wag is a 4-6 event with some 8 inch lollis out on the ridges.

nam4km_2024010412_056_39.18--78.23.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SnowenOutThere said:

The real issue with this event has been that since 6z yesterday we’ve seen every cycle wobble just a little warmer. If we can just reverse that trend there’s still some potential … 

The surface has been holding pretty steady but the 850 level in particular has been degrading across the past few model cycles to a razors edge at this point 

1 minute ago, EstorilM said:

Can’t see where you are on my phone, but 850s look good for most of the region.

Surface temps are definitely struggling now though, with just about the worst timing possible (that’s a big part of what killed us, this was initially going to be an all-overnight Sat storm.) 

But yeah, if the rates get up there something should stick… LWX seems to think most of this will transition to rain, which I don’t really agree with given most of the 850s in the area. 

It’s starting to sound like one of those messes that just goes back and forth. 

Oh sorry -- I'm in far northern Baltimore county, about 5 miles south of the PA line. Have some elevation too, which is helpful.

850s aren't too much of an issue, but the surface will be the issue. Could see it starting as snow for most (except Eastern Shore and far southern MD), but not accumulating where it's 33 or so at the surface. Places north and west will hang on to the cold a bit longer, and with heavy precip, it will snow even if it doesn't amount to much. It's most likely going to be a real-time event where every degree makes a difference on what is falling and what is accumulating. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Trend has been warmer, faster, lower QPF, and NW - granted some of those are directly related, but still kinda a sucker punch for most of us. 

• Sad 1

3k Temps and Dews just before precip starts. I think its going to be close for the metros. But I think it would start as snow there as well.
sfct-imp.us_ma.png
sfctd-imp.us_ma.png

The issue the last few days seems to be with the low level winds out of the south and east as that ridge slides off the coast. I think we’re gonna need cad to be under-modeled. Frederick still seems to be in the game, but closer to the fall line you’re really gonna need to fend off that easterly wind component.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m taking the TT 3k NAM 10:1 snowmap as my final call, no takebacks, all in. 

In reality, it does show about 4 hours of pretty heavy snow from 16-20z IMBY. If that did happen…

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, EstorilM said:

Most around here and WV haven’t had good snow since Covid, I can’t comprehend how any are still in business - though I guess Timberline was sold and re-structured, but wow.. bad timing for the new guys. I miss going out there. 

What's your definition of good snow? While far below their average, Timberline still had almost 100" last year and have had several decent snowfalls so far this winter.

• Like 1

I’m taking the TT 3k NAM 10:1 snowmap as my final call, no takebacks, all in. 

In reality, it does show about 4 hours of pretty heavy snow from 16-20z IMBY. If that did happen…

18z and especially 00z gets the NAM within 48 hours, where it’s at least (somewhat?) useful. Then again, it’s being retired and hasn’t been updated in a while, so who knows. Hoping it scores a coup being a meso vs globals. Certainly have nothing to lose at this point.

32 minutes ago, Ellinwood said:

Been awhile...

I could see some "boom" areas in the far NW burbs of the I-95 corridor if there's heavy rates late Saturday afternoon into Saturday evening, otherwise I'm more pessimistic than optimistic. Lines up fairly well with the NWS at least from Philly southward.

image.png.7bc0fd35434d5b0a2b370ec0f8a0e4f8.png

Not even greyed this time :( 

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Right or wrong it refuses to budge. Sub 1000 over OC again. Been basically the same for days at this point.

It’s been the same for you, for everyone else it’s trended slightly warmer run on run on run to the point of which is decidedly west of the first western counties.

17 minutes ago, notvirga! said:

3k sticks a 6 inch lollipop right over my place west of Owings Mills. I guess that 650 of elevation feet does wonders lol 

Having lived in Owings Mills for 10 years, then moving to Hampstead that elevation change does make a big difference. From OM to Hampstead, it's only about 15-20 minutes north and west but the elevation climbs to 850'.

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic