• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring first regional significant winter impact event. Magnitude likely tempered. At this time NE PA/SE NY and SNE primarily. Jan 7/8.

Typhoon Tip

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That was from weathermodels.com which is paid....pretty cheap though. I've been considering switching, but I'm giving this site one more winter.

cool - thanks for the heads up.  I don't keep up with that stuff because I arrogantly don't think I need it so up to the date.  haha.  

-then I'm all pissed off when my hot dogs are cooking and I can't take a bite yet

It will also be interesting to see how the NWS forecasts go today. Primarily starting with the NBM is producing better and more consistent forecasts, but the data is a cycle old. So the afternoon forecasts today will be using mostly 00z data fed into the NBM. That means chances of snow will be lower with this NBM run because of the inclusion of the paltry GEFS/GFS (and at this time range it is almost entirely GFS/Euro based). Blindly populating with NBM may lead to artificially lower snow forecast if the 00z guidance was indeed a burp.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It will also be interesting to see how the NWS forecasts go today. Primarily starting with the NBM is producing better and more consistent forecasts, but the data is a cycle old. So the afternoon forecasts today will be using mostly 00z data fed into the NBM. That means chances of snow will be lower with this NBM run because of the inclusion of the paltry GEFS/GFS (and at this time range it is almost entirely GFS/Euro based). Blindly populating with NBM may lead to artificially lower snow forecast if the 00z guidance was indeed a burp.

Not to impugn you guys ( seriously ) but that seems kind of questionable as auto practice?   Tell me that's not what's happening there.

We can't just dump a bunch of raw output mass into a blender - doesn't that utterly defeat the very real possibility that the nuanced solution is more correct? 

I'd argue that latter aspect is pretty prevalent in these fast flows scenarios.  Also whence it's become more apparent that telecon correlators seem to skew relative to results

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

cool - thanks for the heads up.  I don't keep up with that stuff because I arrogantly don't think I need it so up to the date.  haha.  

-then I'm all pissed off when my hot dogs are cooking and I can't take a bite yet

For American models (GFS and NAM), I still think PSU is one of the best combos of decent graphics and fast updates. Faster than TT usually on those two models.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/ewall/ewall.html

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not to impugn you guys ( seriously ) but that seems kind of questionable as auto practice?   Tell me that's not what's happening there.

We can't just dump a bunch of raw output mass into a blender - doesn't that utterly defeat the very real possibility that the nuanced solution is more correct? 

I'd argue that latter aspect is pretty prevalent in these fast flows scenarios.  Also whence it's become more apparent that telecon correlators seem to skew relative to results

I don't think so. The NBM is pretty sophisticated, bias correcting a lot of variables at each individual grid point. But it can have limitations when ensemble make big swings or you have dramatic pattern changes. It also struggles with mesoscale features at longer ranges (obviously), but that is what the forecaster is for. Make the right adjustments vs messing around with day 7 sky cover and dewpoints.

The problem before the NBM was that each office was starting with whatever they felt like, and for people who live close to the border of two offices you could have wildly different forecasts. It was also pretty poor practice to try and cherry pick the model of the day, nobody is actually any good at that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

A lot of the models are showing a valley snow shadow . Just something to notice 

It’s been more like a black hole for two years. I can work with a shadow. Whitening the grass is a huge win at this point. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

For American models (GFS and NAM), I still think PSU is one of the best combos of decent graphics and fast updates. Faster than TT usually on those two models.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/ewall/ewall.html

Yeah ... I didn't know that about the GFS/NAM specifically with that site, but I do use it first thing in the morning over a cup of coffee for the Euro and Canadian.  I like a coarse/cursory eval to either confirm, deny or piss me off before I dig deeper later in the morning (when I'm supposed to be doing my actual day job...)

haha. 

• Haha 1

I like the GFS thus far. What could really help this storm overachieve somewhere is the tight baroclinic zone with this. That's a pretty strong temperature gradient in the latitude. I also like how the sfc low is more tightly wrapped up and the 850 low track looks good. You can argue 850 may get going too late but the scale of lift is pretty strong over a large area.