Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 Banter

George BM

1 hour ago, Jebman said:

A tremendous amount of Pac moisture is heading into the southwestern US. I can clearly see this on GOES 8 water vapor imagery!

That last surge last night dumped 5.3 inches!

MOAR Rain!

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=regional-southcentral-13-200-1-100-1&checked=map&colorbar=data

I might need to add COD satellite/wv to my rotation, at least as a backup.  I've only been using it for radar.

Ya know...I'm not sure I could just lurk on here...particularly not during a niño winter. I just want to be in the discussions. Like...I'm interested in this stuff and of course have a passion for snow. And who else to discuss this stuff with? There's literally no other place where a bunch of people feel the same about snow.

I'd like to think I was doing better...as I hadn't said anything terrible in the main thread. But once again, one bad post and a response to it that gets all manner of likes and thank yous--all a forum-wide indictment of one of a single bad post of mine. I've been working on managing my emotional outlook of all this, and I've been making progress....but dang it I just messed up again, lol Ah well...I won't be on here much if we get a nina next year, so I ain't going nowhere :lol: (but I do have to pick my wounds for a little bit)

14 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

8 years ago. The Great Blizzard of 2016.

5IA46NX.jpeg

It's scary how fast time flies these days. Think about how far apart 1st grade and 9th grade felt compared to these last 8 years.

Anyway, as many have said countless times already, that was a fun storm and a fun limited production week leading up to it. The skating rink that past Wednesday evening was fun as well.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AdamHLG said:

Interesting. Im not sure how it is affecting my well, but ironically we need to add salt to our water to soften it. But that’s pure rock salt. Not sure what is in the actual chemicals they put on the road but I’m sure they’re not buying the big bags of rock salt at home depot like me.

replying in banter as to not derail the long range thread.

its pretty bad, I think you would notice if it was impacting your well. We've been in our house for almost 11 years now. We have replaced our well pump/tank, water heater, faucets, etc. many times in those 11 years. the sodium chloride they use in road salt is corrosive, eats away at pipes and tanks like crazy. we actually sued the state and won and walked away with a small settlement that would pay for an RO system in the house. But then covid happened, and we kept the money in savings in case shit hit the fan. Our water still sucks and I hope one day we can put the RO system in the house. But its going to a pain, a new well field will need to be dug, a big trench off the house out to the new well field, etc. So much work to do to have good water. 

So we have water delivered to the house to eat/cook with, and we have a great plumber on call when our well pump/tank and water heater fail. Yippee. 

• Sad 1

Also! They do not require wells to be tested for sodium chloride when purchasing. I would highly recommend taking a water sample yourself and having a lab test it prior to purchasing a home with a well tank, especially if you live along a snow emergency route like I do, where they are constantly salting during the winter. 

replying in banter as to not derail the long range thread.
its pretty bad, I think you would notice if it was impacting your well. We've been in our house for almost 11 years now. We have replaced our well pump/tank, water heater, faucets, etc. many times in those 11 years. the sodium chloride they use in road salt is corrosive, eats away at pipes and tanks like crazy. we actually sued the state and won and walked away with a small settlement that would pay for an RO system in the house. But then covid happened, and we kept the money in savings in case shit hit the fan. Our water still sucks and I hope one day we can put the RO system in the house. But its going to a pain, a new well field will need to be dug, a big trench off the house out to the new well field, etc. So much work to do to have good water. 
So we have water delivered to the house to eat/cook with, and we have a great plumber on call when our well pump/tank and water heater fail. Yippee. 

O wow. You know… we did have pinhole leaks years ago in our copper pipes. A whole bunch over the course of a few years. Like 10 years ago. Now I’m wondering if that was related to PD1 PD2 and 2009-10 etc. I never even thought of that !!!

27 minutes ago, AdamHLG said:

O wow. You know… we did have pinhole leaks years ago in our copper pipes. A whole bunch over the course of a few years. Like 10 years ago. Now I’m wondering if that was related to PD1 PD2 and 2009-10 etc. I never even thought of that !!!

could be! it doesn't hurt to have your well tested. there is a lab in Sparks we used when we had to go through the process to sue MD/SHA. 

Canaan Mountain Summit - the reporting station for data.canaanmtnsnow.com, hit 96 inches on 01/20/24, which is the most snow to date since 2011.  Pretty impressive, the slopes must be mint out there.

Currently there is 98.3 inches of snow for the 23-24 winter there.  Not bad.

• Like 1

@osfan24

11 hours ago, CAPE said:

Amazingly, neither of you seem to know where you live. We are just coming out of a 10 day period of legit winter that produced a moderate amount of snow in the lowlands. If we get another 10-14 days with a pattern that can deliver below avg temps with a favorable storm track, that is a pretty typical winter at this latitude outside of the western highlands and PSU land.

Also a reminder- These sort of posts belong in the Panic Room thread.

10 hours ago, osfan24 said:

But it’s not average for this type of nino. Some of you are crazy. The average winter is literally the average of the few really good winters that are Nino’s where we crush it and a lot of crappy other seasons that are Nina or neutral. Hitting climo in a nino is a failure. You suffer through the last seven years for this year.

What's not average? I said average(avg) once. Nothing to do with snowfall.

My post was in reference to the finite number of periods where we get a pattern that is supportive of below average temps (with snow chances) in a typical winter for this region, regardless of ENSO state. No mention of Nino, Nina, climo/ any specific amounts of snow, or expectations.

And who of us are 'crazy' and for what reason?

I've had snow on the ground for 8 days. I hike on a local mountain bike trail network. It's not crowded. I never see too many people, well.. until I spark a joint. Than some boy scout group will pop up. Anyway.. The amount of dog piss over 8 days is pretty amazing. It's basically a trail of piss and shit lol. I'm high. End of rant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

I've had snow on the ground for 8 days. I hike on a local mountain bike trail network. It's not crowded. I never see too many people, well.. until I spark a joint. Than some boy scout group will pop up. Anyway.. The amount of dog piss over 8 days is pretty amazing. It's basically a trail of piss and shit lol. I'm high. End of rant.

Lmao.

Same experience here, minus the trail of piss and shit.B)

Great period. Still mostly snow covered ground, day 8. Had a fantastic hike at Tuckahoe on Sunday before the football games.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

Bacon ridge?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

It's very worth adding to your arsenal. It's one of my main tabs even while I'm on shift. A great tool 

Incredible plume was moving into TX today. Poor thing got damped 99 percent. All we eked out, was fog, mist and about one  five hundred twelfths of an inch.

If you can't count on a Pacific atmospheric river plume in a STRONG Nino, what can you trust?

We got an El WHAT in the equatorial Pacific ?

Back to reality. Our drought will never cease.

35 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I may have to give ignore a go. Never thought I would, but I have a tendency to read/reply to posts I should just bypass.

I hope your not done! We need your analysis in here.

When need your level headiness in here lol.

• Like 1

[mention=2035]Bob Chill[/mention]warned me about this a few years ago lol. Losing the fun aspect. Fatiguing. Better things to do. I think I am there dude.

I keep it light here (and online now) for a reason. I used to post on nba forums and, in hindsight, some of the arguments were just silly. With that said, a little break usually resolves my tendency towards all or none thinking…probably 99 times out of 100 lol.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic