Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 Banter

George BM

Bring on severe season. 

Wait ... that's usually a disappointment too. But at least it's generally not a five-day-in-advance heartbreak. It's just we don't clear out in the morning, or the outflow from the storms coming off the Blue Ridge screw everything up downstream, or something that's more or less real time. But it's not like noting on a Saturday, "hey, the GFS shows wedges on the Mall on Wednesday, but the Euro ... etc., etc. ..."

So bring on fog season. 

Palisades is at it again, snow moving in, getting heavy, as they pile up another 15-19 inches into tomorrow!

8200 foot Scope, as always:

https://www.palisadestahoe.com/mountain-information/webcams#tab=palisades

Its like a metronome, dumping on the Sierra about every four days, piling and piling and piling on the snows. Ditto for Mammoth as well into Sunday. You want snow? Get on a plane head west, rent a car and drive to Tahoe and soak in the deep snows! Ski till your legs fall off and watch all that heavy relentless Sierra snow pour down, driven by 100 mph winds at ridgetop! Snow weenies' DREAM!

https://www.mammothmountain.com/on-the-mountain/mammoth-webcam/main-lodge

You know what I wish for? I wish I won 7 billion in the Powerball, then take everyone on this board who wanted to go, to Palisades for a month! Take over an entire hotel! Put on the most EPIC get together conference American has ever heard of! Get all the red taggers to hold classes on weather phenomena while we all watch the heavy Sierra snows cut us off from the rest of the world!

Like I said, We take over a hotel, or two or three ----- And anything goes.

We show those folks how to party!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TinGTown said:

So, I'm sure I will get crushed by this post, but...

Is following weather really your hobby?   Why not golf, trap and skeet, sking...things you can control?

NS, TPV, phasing, trough, suppression, etc...?  I won't lie.  I am a snow lover and have lurked on this forum in winter for years when there is a chance of snow.  I have done the same when I owned a home in the Outer Banks when a hurricane was predicted.  I think I was here when this site was Eastern weather (but I'm old, so I could be wrong}.  I know of Jeb walks, Wes Junker, Bob Chill back in the day and many others.

Pro Mets (red taggers) make their living by observing and giving their best advice/prediction/forecast on their knowledge and what they have observed.  I am very appreciative of these people taking time to post here. I also appreciate those that are here to learn and contribute.

However, it has always been a pissing match between amateur observers about forecasts.  There is also a weird dynamic between those that love snow (clinging to the best model run) and those that are more pessimistic.  What gives?  The weather will do what it does.

Snow is serious business. The kind of meltdowns we see during winter, do not happen during severe season. It’s just the love for snow, jebwalks in the snow, getting the most snow. That’s it. Just snow. 

• Like 2

Thanks mappy!  I know you have been here  long time as well as Ji.  I should have mentioned you earlier.  I still don't get the cray cray on here about snow and why people fight about snow (regarding model runs, Kuchera rates, etc..). WTF?

31 minutes ago, mappy said:

Snow is serious business. The kind of meltdowns we see during winter, do not happen during severe season. It’s just the love for snow, jebwalks in the snow, getting the most snow. That’s it. Just snow. 

Maybe this is only true in my case, but...to me...I believe there's an addictive quality with this as well. I see what my brain does when we're tracking something. The shot of adrenaline on the Zs when there's potential (literally dropping everything to check the run), the dopamine of a good run, the opposite of a bad. There's a real give (and take) of the brain's reward system...and when there's a letdown, the mood is a bit disrupted (temporarily).

BUT...what I'm finding this season is...the less exposure to this place (and even tracking) when things are crappy works wonders. The site blocker app is becoming my best friend, lol 

Not many here appreciate my psychological musings of this hobby, but I'm telling ya, folks...it's worth it to delve into that side to better manage your reaction to the not-so-good that can happen with this hobby.

There are about 5 of you who know what they're talking about. I'm no wx man nor do I pretend to be. Outside of those 5 all the rest of you guys do is btch and complain about every single model run... the seasoned vets and experienced are obvious. Psu, chill etc. The rest just stfu and quit turning a potential 3" storm into 30 pages of crying. It's ridiculous. We're all trying to learn from people on here who know their sh!t but some of you insist on trying to speak the lingo and you get it wrong. It's embarrassing, you sound like biden..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

18 minutes ago, TinGTown said:

Thanks mappy!  I know you have been here  long time as well as Ji.  I should have mentioned you earlier.  I still don't get the cray cray on here about snow and why people fight about snow (regarding model runs, Kuchera rates, etc..). WTF?

Definitely a level of cray-cray here (as you've discovered!).  It's just what we do, hahaha!  But despite some posters who can be aggravating or all the tearing of hair, gnashing of teeth with every snow fail, this is a fun place to be honest!  There are some good and highly knowledgeable folks here, and some cool people (including @mappy!!)...I think there are many who have a good sense of humor even in the face of failures.

(ETA:  Sometimes, I seriously have to ask myself why the f**k I care about frozen water falling from the sky and get disappointed when it doesn't happen, LOL!!! :lol:)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Plow'n said:

There are about 5 of you who know what they're talking about. I'm no wx man nor do I pretend to be. Outside of those 5 all the rest of you guys do is btch and complain about every single model run... the seasoned vets and experienced are obvious. Psu, chill etc. The rest just stfu and quit turning a potential 3" storm into 30 pages of crying. It's ridiculous. We're all trying to learn from people on here who know their sh!t but some of you insist on trying to speak the lingo and you get it wrong. It's embarrassing, you sound like biden..

Well, I'm not one of those who will sh*t all over a thread because I'm pissed the models suck for snow!  Don't get me wrong, I surely get disappointed when things don't work, but I don't post it all over the damned place.  But honestly, I know what you mean and I know exactly those who you are referring to that do precisely that.  And it's driven off some of the better posters on here, unfortunately.  It pisses me off as well (I really should use the ignore feature, yeah, I know!).  It's beyond annoying to read page after page and post after post of verbal diarrhea complaining about stuff.  One or two saying "well, this doesn't look good" is fine, but it turns into a bitch-fest among a handful of posters.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Well, I'm not one of those who will sh*t all over a thread because I'm pissed the models suck for snow!  Don't get me wrong, I surely get disappointed when things don't work, but I don't post it all over the damned place.  But honestly, I know what you mean and I know exactly those who you are referring to that do precisely that.  And it's driven off some of the better posters on here, unfortunately.  It pisses me off as well (I really should use the ignore feature, yeah, I know!).  It's beyond annoying to read page after page and post after post of verbal diarrhea complaining about stuff.  One or two saying "well, this doesn't look good" is fine, but it turns into a bitch-fest among a handful of posters.

I make a living off of snow, from bwi to dca so I have a hard time understanding some of these "hard times" over snow models. If it's a hobby, I get it. I'm here to learn and get a "non-hyped" 3rd party opinion from independent meteorologists who I mentioned above

Just now, Plow'n said:

I make a living off of snow, from bwi to dca so I have a hard time understanding some of these "hard times" over snow models. If it's a hobby, I get it. I'm here to learn and get a "non-hyped" 3rd party opinion from independent meteorologists who I mentioned above

Those handful of posters you mentioned are good and worth paying attention to for sure.  Unfortunately, you also have to sift through all the chaff (i.e., bullshit!) from those who inundate threads with complaining comments!  But don't let that deter you!  There is a lot of good information in here despite that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Plow'n said:

Not sure there's any fixing to the problems. Mods don't have time to always clean up the posts when it's not storm mode...people have to police themselves. But unfortunately, snow is an emotional topic here, and hence even among the great analysis you also get...emotions. I do wish we could help each other find healthier ways to deal with it, but hey...probably too idealistic, lol I for one am working on new ways to deal. Takes some time but it's doable!

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2024 at 9:52 AM, mattie g said:

Yes. If you park in long-term parking, you need to take the shuttle to the terminal. Depending on the time of day and which stop you get picked up at, it can take anywhere up about 15 minutes to get to the terminal once you get on the shittle.

Pretty sure they run 24/7, or at least as often as they need to get people to the terminals on time.

So I get stuck in Chicago overnight because i missed my connection due to the snowstorm.  I thought… hey no problem I will a get a treat of a foot of snow before continuing on. 

well sure as shit as soon as my plane touched down the snow turned to rain, it never flips back  and Chicago busts HARD with only 2 inches of slush on the ground.  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Plow'n said:

Not true.. you are here because your sick like the rest of us.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Maybe this is only true in my case, but...to me...I believe there's an addictive quality with this as well. I see what my brain does when we're tracking something. The shot of adrenaline on the Zs when there's potential (literally dropping everything to check the run), the dopamine of a good run, the opposite of a bad. There's a real give (and take) of the brain's reward system...and when there's a letdown, the mood is a bit disrupted (temporarily).

BUT...what I'm finding this season is...the less exposure to this place (and even tracking) when things are crappy works wonders. The site blocker app is becoming my best friend, lol 

Not many here appreciate my psychological musings of this hobby, but I'm telling ya, folks...it's worth it to delve into that side to better manage your reaction to the not-so-good that can happen with this hobby.

This is not a hobby to most people here. It's a lifestyle. Most of us were born this way. I see it as a gift. We're gifted to have such a profound connection with nature that it affects our daily lives. I'm sure most of us have our little meltdowns here and move on happily with our day, but always looking at the sky. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

I still love snow, but it can also be an annoyance. Has zero impact on my happiness. I like to track because I appreciate the physics and complexity of the atmosphere. Large scale fluid mechanics is cool.

I'm more obsessed with the power of nature. I've always loved storm. I was 3 months old during the blizzard of 78. My mom told me that I cried if I couldn't see out of the window. She moved me to the window and I laid there starring out the window at the blizzard all day. During thunderstorms she'd come in the room and I'd be standing in my crib in the middle of the night looking at the window. When I was 6 I got busted outside at 2 am looking at the snow falling lol. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TinGTown said:

I’ve been here too long. Not as long as some who go further back to Eastern and a forum before that, but long enough that my mind frame on snow has changed as I have gotten older. I used to live and die by the models, let it impact my day to day mood and such. But hard times in life make you realize some things just aren’t worth letting ruin your day. If it snows great, if it doesn’t…oh well. I’m still watching and hoping but it doesn’t affect me like it used to when we fail. 

• Like 1

Here’s the thing about snow. People here lose their shit because snow in itself is rare. 365 days in a year and in these parts it might snow 10 of those days. That leaves 355 days of dry, sun, rain, clouds, tsunamis, drought, pollen. 

Snow can make people happy 'cause of how it makes things look. Some like the process. Some are just weenies. 

It gets incredibly frustrating to come here and read the Deb’s and all the bitching and moaning over something none of us have control over. Weather isn’t against us. It doesn’t hate us, it isn’t here to screw us. It’s just weather being weather. 

Having been here for as long as I have it’s been a process to learn about weather and how it can do what it wants to. Getting upset was easier to do when one doesn’t understand the process. 

But having gone thru some tremendous sadness, stress, joy, etc that life throws at a person the “need” for snow just isn’t as high a priority to make my life or others miserable over it. I love snow. I want snow. I don’t live for snow. I live to be here for my family, friends, and myself. I have a kid with certain needs. He needs me to be there for him when needed and not in a pissy mood because my snow went to rain. And when things go to shit storm wise it’s much better to laugh it off or make others laugh because everyone needs more of that in these trying times. 

I rather smile and try and enjoy the good things like snow when they come. Because they are indeed rare. 

• Thanks 3

WOW I just looked at the Buffalo forecast and tomorrow's 1 pm game is going to be insane.  I didn't know the stadium was south of the city which is in the better lake effect area.  P&C has heavy snow with gusts to 45 during the day tomorrow with 16-28 inches total between tonight thru tomorrow night.  Will they even play the game there?

image.png.20084d6422e666529ec858de8e62f8ee.png

4 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

WOW I just looked at the Buffalo forecast and tomorrow's 1 pm game is going to be insane.  I didn't know the stadium was south of the city which is in the better lake effect area.  P&C has heavy snow with gusts to 45 during the day tomorrow with 16-28 inches total between tonight thru tomorrow night.  Will they even play the game there?

image.png.20084d6422e666529ec858de8e62f8ee.png

Postponed til Monday at 4:30

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

Darn no blizzard game now -- guess we settle for "Ice Bowl II" at Kansas City tonight.  They found a window Monday afternoon where the snow stops then it snows again from later that night until......FRIDAY :wacko2:

Won't be watching that unless I can find it on some spammy online gambling site. Fuck peacock and the NFL.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic