• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Two Mdt to high impact events NYC subforum; wknd Jan 6-7 Incl OBS, and mid week Jan 9-10 (incl OBS). Total water equiv by 00z/11 general 2", possibly 6" includes snow-ice mainly interior. RVR flood potential increases Jan 10 and beyond. Damaging wind.

wdrag

59 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

So western 

Long Island did best last nights. With I guess realistically, .5” there was a full coating on colder surfaces: 

we just had some flakes here and there today, the radar was much more bark than bite.

Yesterday afternoon into early evening was a nice surprise.

You got 1" in Lynbrook yesterday? WOW

44 minutes ago, psv88 said:

The sound will drop into the 30s over the next month so its negative impact will decrease a bit heading into peak climo.

by February/march the sound is a net positive for the island, as it enhances snow on the backside/CCB of storms. @NorthShoreWxis a big time beneficiary of this. 

the key with March (especially after the first week of March) is being away from urban heat island (which is pretty strong in Nassau County).

16 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

It can hurt early in the season.  October 2011 was a prime example when snow accumulated south of here, but not here.  On 11/15/2018 I went for a late walk in Sunken Meadow.  Down by the beach there was white rain, but uphill and back from the bluffs branches were starting to break out of the trees from the weight of the heavy wet snow. So the effect that day was literally on the "immediate" shore.  In a normal year, the effect diminishes in December, but there hasn't been anything normal about this year.

We accumulated a solid 1.0" here today, plus 0.2" yesterday, so at least we are on the board (1.2" season).  I'd be happy with that if this was Myrtle Beach.

My house is 2 miles from the Sound, but a little less than a mile from the estuarine part of the Nissequogue River, which is basically an extension of the Sound.  My driveway is 122 feet ASL (the house behind me is about 40 feet lower).

Another possible impact of the Sound being so close...the screaming winds off LI Sound in some of the more notable nor'easters are frequently not good for snow ratios.  Many such storms Islip has done much better in terms of measured accumulations, but my SWE was higher.  I'm only about 8-9 miles NW of ISP (as the jet flies; it seems a lot further when driving there).

October 2011 was a nice surprise here with 1.5" any accumulation in October is historic-- just like an accumulating May snowfall would be.  Another one was November 2012 which dropped 8 inches here, much less on the north shore.  LGA had white rain while we had tree branches falling on the roads from the weight of the heavy wet snow (compounding the devastation from Sandy.)

53 minutes ago, psv88 said:

The sound will drop into the 30s over the next month so its negative impact will decrease a bit heading into peak climo.

by February/march the sound is a net positive for the island, as it enhances snow on the backside/CCB of storms. @NorthShoreWxis a big time beneficiary of this. 

The Sound helped much of LI big time in the Jan 2022 blizzard. You could see the sound enhanced snow for hours over the eastern 2/3 of the island. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The Sound helped much of LI big time in the Jan 2022 blizzard. You could see the sound enhanced snow for hours over the eastern 2/3 of the island. 

This might be a good example of the winds off the Sound fracturing snowflakes.  ISP reported 24.7" of snow with 1.33" SWE.  I had 16.4" of snow with 1.62" SWE.

Jan 22 radar:

https://cdn.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/3cc5880df4464dfb860bf89476ba6eeb/resources/TDhpdvxfPwDBBntlSTaAz.mp4

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

Jesus. Flashbacks. Jan 22 blizzard was awesome in WB

didn’t we get like 8” couple weeks prior also? 

I came home from college to see that blizzard lol, perfect timing with it coming in Friday night. And yeah I remember getting that 6-8” storm at the beginning of January too

58 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

This might be a good example of the winds off the Sound fracturing snowflakes.  ISP reported 24.7" of snow with 1.33" SWE.  I had 16.4" of snow with 1.62" SWE.

Jan 22 radar:

https://cdn.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/3cc5880df4464dfb860bf89476ba6eeb/resources/TDhpdvxfPwDBBntlSTaAz.mp4

We had 34 inches under a death band in that storm. People were stuck in cars on rt 347. 4 inch per hour rates for 3 hours. Never saw snow accumulate in front of my eyes like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Jan 22 radar:

Such a beauty. West of city didn’t get much we really cashed in out here. I think it’s our turn again lol 

So tomorrow morning we'll get the thread title updated to include the OBS for storm 2, add a two day CoCoRahS total and believe it or not, I think there will be some reports of snow and sleet in NJ, NYS/EPA and se NYS/CT midday Tuesday as the system begins.  Not much more that I can add regarding rain/wind and its impacts. 

• Like 2

The severe storm for later Tuesday into Wednesday (January 9-10) remains on track. In terms of deviations from normal, both in terms of precipitation and wind, it will be an infrequent event.

Extreme Forecast Index (EFI) data is below.

Wind Gusts:

image.png.7d6a9b833453f20d1b4993f6869df48b.png

Precipitation:

image.png.223ef68a58160f70f9d2469c0c7f3f40.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The severe storm for later Tuesday into Wednesday (January 9-10) remains on track. In terms of deviations from normal, both in terms of precipitation and wind, it will be an infrequent event.
Extreme Forecast Index (EFI) data is below.
Wind Gusts:
image.png.7d6a9b833453f20d1b4993f6869df48b.png
Precipitation:
image.png.223ef68a58160f70f9d2469c0c7f3f40.png

What do you mean "an infrequent event," Don?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

• wdrag changed the title to Two Mdt to high impact events NYC subforum; wknd Jan 6-7 Incl OBS, and mid week Jan 9-10 (incl OBS). Total water equiv by 00z/11 general 2", possibly 6" includes snow-ice mainly interior. RVR flood potential increases Jan 10 and beyond. Damaging wind.
  • Rjay unpinned this topic