• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Two Mdt to high impact events NYC subforum; wknd Jan 6-7 Incl OBS, and mid week Jan 9-10 (incl OBS). Total water equiv by 00z/11 general 2", possibly 6" includes snow-ice mainly interior. RVR flood potential increases Jan 10 and beyond. Damaging wind.

wdrag

20 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Central Park will find a way to measure .9 

They should have had 1” on 2-27-23 but probably took the measurement too late after some melting had occurred. 

Data for February 27, 2023 through February 27, 2023
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
State
Name
Station Type
Total Snowfall 
NJ CEDAR GROVE TWP 0.4 W CoCoRaHS 2.8
NY RIDGE 1.8 SE CoCoRaHS 2.4
CT IGOR I SIKORSKY MEMORIAL AIRPORT WBAN 2.0
NY ISLIP-LI MACARTHUR AP WBAN 1.8
NJ NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP WBAN 1.2
NY LAGUARDIA AIRPORT WBAN 1.1
NY JFK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT WBAN 1.0
NY NY CITY CENTRAL PARK WBAN 0.9

• Like 1

Lots of NWS office inconsistency issues.  The NWS has issued winter storm watches for a general 4-8" of snow for the Poconos, Lehigh Valley, Sussex, Warren, Morris, Passaic and NW Bergen, plus the Hudson Valley N of the Tappan Zee, but the discussions from the Philly and NYC offices are somewhat at odds, with the Philly office focusing on the warmth of the ocean and easterly winds keeping accumulations
I think they're all scrambling, so it's not worth focusing on their discussions, but their maps with inconsistencies are worth discussing - just look at the boundaries along Morris/Somerset where the Philly office has LWZu0hR.png

sYU4Ii8.png

Hmm, an IMBY question, but think it’ll be that low for MMU?

1 minute ago, MJO812 said:

Same solution but less amounts. Onto 0z.

correct me if im wrong but don't the 18z gfs runs use the same data set that the 12z runs do so they're not necessarily the most accurate of runs. still a good looking run for what its worth. lets hope 0z comes in a hair colder

17 minutes ago, North and West said:

Hmm, an IMBY question, but think it’ll be that low for MMU?

You’re by the airport right? I think you’ll be ok for 2-4/3-6; I might do a bit better in Chester with elevation. 

The ensembles have been rather consistent for our area. 

• Like 1

You’re by the airport right? I think you’ll be ok for 2-4/3-6; I might do a bit better in Chester with elevation. 
The ensembles have been rather consistent for our area. 

Yup, and that makes sense. The airport is really low; I’m about 200’ above it. I think it should be an old timey north and west storm doing well out by you.

• Like 1

The depiction of the trailing shortwave juicing the primary makes me think of Nemo. The phasing of the energy that came out of the Great Lakes really juiced things up on the backside of that storm. 

edit: not saying we’re gonna see a nemo outcome 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Franklin0529 said:

Looks warmer then earlier run 

If the storm overall’s weaker it will probably be warmer. Easterly winds are warming up the surface from the city on E/S and heavier precip could help overcome the surface warmth but light precip wouldn’t do anything. And the lack of CCB behind the low means cold air won’t come back in with heavier snow. The CCB is a possibility if the mid level lows close off south of us but if not it’ll be minimal if any. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

If the storm overall’s weaker it will probably be warmer. Easterly winds are warming up the surface from the city on E/S and heavier precip could help overcome the surface warmth but light precip wouldn’t do anything. And the lack of CCB behind the low means cold air won’t come back in with heavier snow. The CCB is a possibility if the mid level lows close off south of us but if not it’ll be minimal if any. 

I get it

5 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

My thoughts remain the same. Sloppy inch or 2 for us. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

why are you losing interest? just curious?  you have anything is last year? January looks nice and warm. this may be it for the month

Fair question. Don’t like the trends. Thinking it trends even lower. I don’t care if snow gets washed away the next day but could do without a gross slushy mix. Part of me thought we could see a 3-6, or 6-8 event by me but think the odds are becoming slim to none of that happening 

• wdrag changed the title to Two Mdt to high impact events NYC subforum; wknd Jan 6-7 Incl OBS, and mid week Jan 9-10 (incl OBS). Total water equiv by 00z/11 general 2", possibly 6" includes snow-ice mainly interior. RVR flood potential increases Jan 10 and beyond. Damaging wind.
  • Rjay unpinned this topic