Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

13 minutes ago, jayyy said:

I feel like mid January thru February is always prime climo for our area.

Historically, Jan. 15 - March 15 for my area. I don't consider the snow season over until April 10.  Several 6+"  snows in early April last 50+ years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stormtracker said:

Since it's time, and the last thread has gone from sugar to shit, here is the thread that is going to deliver.

image.gif

You aren't kidding. Just catching up. The last part of the old thread was a mini dumpster fire. Quite a few posts belonged in the panic room thread.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

It's HH. Feeling optimistic about HH GFS. (Probably partly because this Old Fashioned is over the top good). This place needs a lift. Lets see what it do.

The main reason "this place needs a lift' is because it is almost incessantly told how bad everything is.

7 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Its easy af to be pessimistic, given our location. What's the point in doing that though? We know the potential upside when it all comes together. Lets look for the key pieces that can make that happen. They are there on guidance.

You are 100% correct!!!!!!! 

4 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Its easy af to be pessimistic, given our location. What's the point in doing that though? We know the potential upside when it all comes together. Lets look for the key pieces that can make that happen. They are there on guidance.

I think this board is a microcosm of human behavior.  Some people tend toward optimism, some toward pessimism.  I posit there are few areas where this is more blatant than the weather.  It's something that nobody can do a damn thing about and really unmasks our inherent biases.  

I tend toward "defensive pessimism".  Eternal optimists annoy the fock out of me.  But it's like an introvert vs an extrovert.  Neither is inherently wrong or bad.

And let's face it, the pessimists have gotten it right for a while now.  

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, IronTy said:

I think this board is a microcosm of human behavior.  Some people tend toward optimism, some toward pessimism.  I posit there are few areas where this is more blatant than the weather.  It's something that nobody can do a damn thing about and really unmasks our inherent biases.  

I tend toward "defensive pessimism".  Eternal optimists annoy the fock out of me.  But it's like an introvert vs an extrovert.  Neither is inherently wrong or bad.

And let's face it, the pessimists have gotten it right for a while now.  

When the goal is snow and most of us live well east of the Allegheny front, like I said, it's super easy to be a pessimist. Boring. More rewarding to do the analysis, have fun with the tracking process, and when it pays off, fucking enjoy the hell out of it. Frankly, some here should find another hobby.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, CAPE said:

When the goal is snow and most of us live well east of the Allegheny front, like I said, it's super easy to be a pessimist. Boring. More rewarding to do the analysis, have fun with the tracking process, and when it pays off, fucking enjoy the hell out of it. Frankly, some here should find another hobby.

Not sure I'd say it's easier to be a pessimist around here so much as it's just more accurate given our location...assuming the goal is snow as you say.  But I do agree that incessant bellyaching isn't really contributing much and its probably just best to find a new hobby.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, CAPE said:

:clap:

• Like 3

For those who look at the 18z GFS and think it is a crap run verbatim (Hi Ji), remember it is a single op run and we are still 8 + days out from the initial window of interest. Look at the big picture at h5- the shortwaves are on the playing field, rolling across the southern US, while the HL look is favorable(note the oranges/ reds in the right places). We just can't know the details yet.

1704380400-n9JP3L3ETa8.png

• Like 2