Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Total Solar Eclipse, April 8, 2024

wxsniss

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

Based on everything still thinking Newport with the idea of cutting over towards Colebrook if clouds interfere.  Honestly I’m not at all worried about a few wisps of cirrus.  Mesos look good so far.

didn't see this before my post but see you there lol Derby might even work

49 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I think we have each other’s?  I’ll text to test.?

Doing the same as you, Jerry. (But leaving Cambridge at 5:30) Can you text me? I couldn't message you for some reason.

10 minutes ago, Brewbeer said:

Also heading to Newport, leaving before 6, car is fueled and cooler is packed.  Bike is in the trunk.  Hoping to get to the event at Prouty Beach.  

Just looked up the event at prouty Beach that sounds fun might do that 

I am curious to hear from you Mets.  The timing of that cirrus layer is critical.  Although the sun will filter through I don't know if it will be a thicker solid high overcast with filtered sun or a very thin layer of cirrus that is hardly noticable.  I'm not smart enough to look at the moisture layers to determine how thick the moisture layer might be.  

Even if the layer is thin it will screw up seeing the Diamond Ring, Bailey's Beads and the sun's corona. The planets would not be visiable either.  Any thoughts on how "thick" is thick?  Looks like a total layer with no holes.

One more thing.  At 3:30pm the sun is in the western sky to some degree.  So even if the forward line of cirrus is still slightly west of  any given point it may still block the afternoon sun

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wxsniss said:

Same exact plan

Agree I think cloud cover will be a thin veil at most + we'll be far enough east that Newport vs. Colebrook should work. Defaulting to Newport given the extra seconds of totality.

I'm so nervous just about getting there leaving Boston at 8am.

Still can't believe New England may have one of the the best patches of viewing on the planet...

I'll PM you my cell #

You can also try Canaan, VT. It might be a little as crowded than Colebrook. 

10 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

He’s Buddhist, many many lives. 

:D

We are all Buddhist, many many lives, learning a lot and growing. I am a young one, making a lot of dumb mistakes got a Loooooooooooooog way to go to get off the damn Cycle of Rebirth. Probably thousands and thousands of lives yet, many will be filled with hardship.

Did you know that loving snow as much as I do is actually a mistake that's gonna set me back?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The eclipse tourists were rolling in fast today, and the vibe is fun.  So many people out and about in town.  Many outside, walking the Rec Path and sidewalks. Skiers, first time skiers in town for the eclipse, having fun. But cars everywhere.  I’ll be honest, sometimes it’s a bit much and annoying while you are just trying to get through daily life.

This has a different vibe.  Like people know it’s not something that randomly happens.  It’s an event that many won’t see again in their lives and they know it.

The mood is cheerful, weather was 50s and sunshine, with melting snow on the ground next to greening grass.  Optimism for a spring day mixed with a once-in-a-lifetime vibe.

It’s going to be the largest party NNE has ever seen.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The eclipse tourists were rolling in fast today, and the vibe is fun.  So many people out and about in town.  Many outside, walking the Rec Path and sidewalks. Skiers, first time skiers in town for the eclipse, having fun. But cars everywhere.  I’ll be honest, sometimes it’s a bit much and annoying while you are just trying to get through daily life.

This has a different vibe.  Like people know it’s not something that randomly happens.  It’s an event that many won’t see again in their lives and they know it.

The mood is cheerful, weather was 50s and sunshine, with melting snow on the ground next to greening grass.  Optimism for a spring day mixed with a once-in-a-lifetime vibe.

It’s going to be the largest party NNE has ever seen.

Enjoy it! If you have never experienced totality before you are in for a real treat!  As for the traffic, the nightmare comes as soon as totality ends. That is when everyone hits the road almost at once. I learned that lesson in 2017. This time I kept the room for tomorrow night as well and will roll out Tuesday.

1 minute ago, mreaves said:

This should have been your Smuggs trip. 

Hahah it should have been but I never thought VT would see clear skies in April. I also wanted to maximize my time in totality. Weather forecasts here have become more optimistic. Any clouds we have may see should be thin cirrus at least.

4 hours ago, apm said:

Doing the same as you, Jerry. (But leaving Cambridge at 5:30) Can you text me? I couldn't message you for some reason.

I just cleared out a ton of messages going back 11 years.  Try now.  I don’t have your phone number.  We’re at the 89/93 split for the night and leaving around 9am.  Even triple the normal time gets us to Newport in the nick of time.

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

I just cleared out a ton of messages going back 11 years.  Try now.  I don’t have your phone number.  We’re at the 89/93 split for the night and leaving around 9am.  Even triple the normal time gets us to Newport in the nick of time.

You'll be fine, it's the drive back that will be a little more crowded. 

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

You'll be fine, it's the drive back that will be a little more crowded. 

I don’t think it will be as bad as people think.  At least that was my experience in 2017 and today’s drive up had normal flow-late afternoon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

I don’t think it will be as bad as people think.  At least that was my experience in 2017 and today’s drive up had normal flow-late afternoon.

That's good to hear and I kind of agree, the traffic is probably being overhyped by the media and local officials. 

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Congrats to everyone going North for the full totality. I hope it is even more epic than you think it will be! 

I'll be helping chaperone the kids watching from my son's school in W MA.  Looks like about 95% totality here. 

I’m staying here as well. Pulling the kids from school to view it at our local park. They’ll enjoy it regardless of totality percentage.