• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Total Solar Eclipse, April 8, 2024

wxsniss

Heading to Richibucto, New Brunswick for this one. Looking like it might be the best seat in the house. Just a few clouds forecast. Length of totality is 3min 6sec. It’s a three hour drive away(normal traffic). Expected to be much longer but it will be worth it for a once in a life time experience.

As Carly Simon sang, hop in your leer jet and head to Nova Scotia or in this case New Brunswick. Best of luck to all those trying to get a view.

11 minutes ago, radarman said:

Not sure why you're staking out the meh position here.  Seems out of character.

Someone who gets excited for a 940mb low on satellite off Newfoundland finds viewing a total eclipse in person as boring. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Someone who gets excited for a 940mb low on satellite off Newfoundland finds viewing a total eclipse in person as boring. :lol:

Guy gets a hard on for moose labia Maine snow totals and mehs a total eclipse. 

• Haha 1

A Total Solar Eclipse is A MUST SEE! Not 99%, need to get into center of 100% totality.
Experienced the one in '17 so for seven years I've been waiting for this one.
Leaving tonight and driving to AR., MO., IL., IN. Should be enough time to chase clear skies in a 200-mile area starting at sunrise.
It doesn't look good presently. I put 0% confidence in a Cld Cvr prediction. Looking at 700MB humidity combined with surface Td... OUCH.  

cld_cov.thumb.png.d130a376eefb55174b1445d53e1d5c22.png    

• Like 1

Our plan is to head to Newport, VT-hopefully far enough ne of the approaching high clouds.  But high cirrus shouldn’t really be that much of a damper so keep that in mind.  Euro cloud algorithm is all high clouds.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Our plan is to head to Newport, VT-hopefully far enough ne of the approaching high clouds.  But high cirrus shouldn’t really be that much of a damper so keep that in mind.  Euro cloud algorithm is all high clouds.

Yeah not really worried about high clouds at all to be honest.  Filtered sunshine works.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

I think the cirrus will block out the corona and you will not be able to see any planets but all and all it should be good. I have been watching the Euro and GFS every run.  Weatherbell has tools that even break down cloud cover by type.  The good thing is that on the 12Z runs the cirrus are slightly slower to move in. 

On thing is that I can tell you because I am very active in our Newfound FB group is that so many people are planning to head north.  So really plan on that.  The other thing that strikes me is how many people are planning to go up to Lincoln.  With a solar eclipse either it is totality or bust.  Good luck Jerry.  Take some pictures!

Screenshot 2024-04-06 122517.jpg

19 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I think the cirrus will block out the corona and you will not be able to see any planets but all and all it should be good. I have been watching the Euro and GFS every run.  Weatherbell has tools that even break down cloud cover by type.  The good thing is that on the 12Z runs the cirrus are slightly slower to move in. 

On thing is that I can tell you because I am very active in our Newfound FB group is that so many people are planning to head north.  So really plan on that.  The other thing that strikes me is how many people are planning to go up to Lincoln.  With a solar eclipse either it is totality or bust.  Good luck Jerry.  Take some pictures!

Screenshot 2024-04-06 122517.jpg

So true.  After experiencing totality in 2017 there’s no going back.  We’ll see how it plays out but we’re also considering further east like Colebrook.   Game day decision.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, weathafella said:

So true.  After experiencing totality in 2017 there’s no going back.  We’ll see how it plays out but we’re also considering further east like Colebrook.   Game day decision.

We're heading to a B&B in Plymouth early tomorrow and then had always figured it would be a Monday morning decision on where to go from there.  The past few days we were also thinking Newport, NH, as it looked clearer than further west, like Burlington and is still pretty close to totality, but we're also not happy with the cloud trends and have been thinking of Pittsburg, NH, which is about 15 miles NE of Colebrook. 

Another possibility is heading another 15 miles all the way up Rt. 3 to the border at Connecticut Lake State Forest, as it's a bit closer to totality, but I have zero idea how that road would be and if there's somewhere good to watch near there - no obvious towns and the one campground (Deer Mountain Campground about 4 miles from the border) says it's temporarily closed, but I think that's just because their camping season doesn't start until May.  My guess is one could just pull over and trudge through the snow to what looks like a nice clearing (we have nice chairs, lol) or maybe the US Customs folks won't mind people parking near there and watching. No idea and not even sure who to ask (NH Parks/Rec is closed, lol).  

And if the clouds really move further east, I guess we may have to go somewhere in Maine, but anywhere near totality, like Coburn Gore or Jackman will add a few hours to the trip, since there's no fast/easy way there - it's about 2:20 from Plymouth to Pittsburg, but it's 4:00 to Coburn Gore and 4:50 to Jackman and that's if traffic isn't bad.  I imagine thousands of others are pondering these same questions.  My wife's already not happy about a 2:20 drive from our B&B, so a 4+ hour drive won't go over much better, lol, but I might have to put my foot down on this one, as I really want a good shot at clear skies (I know there's no guarantee as 5 minutes of clouds in front of the sun at totality could happen on a 95% clear day).  

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

I just heard that Burlington VT is now expecting 200,000 extra people.  Especially because New England may have the best viewing people that were heading to other areas like upstate NY may try to come east with less chance of that cirrus deck.  So traffic jams and few services may end up being the big story.  I still have 10" of heavy wet snow on the ground (that is melting quick) so people thinking they can just pull off the pavement into some snow are going to have a rude awaking.  With the 18" in the last storm and a foot or so the other day.  Also  whenever i drive NW of my area there is no cell service in vast rural areas so people that get stuck or rely on GPS maps are going to be in trouble.  The whole social element of this is very interesting to me.  

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

Eying that area as well but would be coming from home. I figure a straight shot up 91 won’t be the worst, but I’d probably plan to leave here pre-sunrise maybe as soon as 2am to avoid traffic getting there.

Much like a storm chase, this may be a hurry up and wait type situation. 

Basic camera filter seems good. Tried testing it in between clouds today.

3AOIaG1.jpeg

Just spoke to the owner of the BuckRubPub in Pittsburg, NH (3 min 14 sec of totality vs. 3:34 along the center line of totality) and he said it's going to be a madhouse - first come first served to get into the pub and their parking, but he did say there was parking available.  You can see some on the map as it is a small town of 800 with some businesses, but I saw a story where they were planning for anywhere from 5000 to 20,000 people and were worried about any more than 5-6K.  I could also see the forecasts for clouds sending people in NY/VT east...

https://www.facebook.com/buckrubpub

43 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

We're heading to a B&B in Plymouth early tomorrow and then had always figured it would be a Monday morning decision on where to go from there.  The past few days we were also thinking Newport, NH, as it looked clearer than further west, like Burlington and is still pretty close to totality, but we're also not happy with the cloud trends and have been thinking of Pittsburg, NH, which is about 15 miles NE of Colebrook. 

Another possibility is heading another 15 miles all the way up Rt. 3 to the border at Connecticut Lake State Forest, as it's a bit closer to totality, but I have zero idea how that road would be and if there's somewhere good to watch near there - no obvious towns and the one campground (Deer Mountain Campground about 4 miles from the border) says it's temporarily closed, but I think that's just because their camping season doesn't start until May.  My guess is one could just pull over and trudge through the snow to what looks like a nice clearing (we have nice chairs, lol) or maybe the US Customs folks won't mind people parking near there and watching. No idea and not even sure who to ask (NH Parks/Rec is closed, lol).  

And if the clouds really move further east, I guess we may have to go somewhere in Maine, but anywhere near totality, like Coburn Gore or Jackman will add a few hours to the trip, since there's no fast/easy way there - it's about 2:20 from Plymouth to Pittsburg, but it's 4:00 to Coburn Gore and 4:50 to Jackman and that's if traffic isn't bad.  I imagine thousands of others are pondering these same questions.  My wife's already not happy about a 2:20 drive from our B&B, so a 4+ hour drive won't go over much better, lol, but I might have to put my foot down on this one, as I really want a good shot at clear skies (I know there's no guarantee as 5 minutes of clouds in front of the sun at totality could happen on a 95% clear day).  

By totality I think you meant center line?  The difference is duration of totality so getting as close to the center line is key.  I stayed near the Nashville airport in 2017 but spent the eclipse on the center line in Galitin.  Either way, as long as its total where you are the show should be great.

4 hours ago, weathafella said:

Take 105 east to Canaan, VT if you think it’s going to be close. I would say cross the border and head towards Sherbrooke but I bet the crossing will be crazy busy. 

4 hours ago, weathafella said:

I linked a watch event at Newport, VT earlier in the thread... my plan is to leave Boston 8am, 93 to 91 to Newport. At the very least will stage on southbound 91 and just pull over on the interstate.

A bit nervous what cloud cover over pretty much the rest of the nation's path will do to crowd surge and driving on Monday, but I'm hoping 4 hours extra buffer will be enough for an ordinarily 3.5 hour drive.

23 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

I linked a watch event at Newport, VT earlier in the thread... my plan is to leave Boston 8am, 93 to 91 to Newport. At the very least will stage on southbound 91 and just pull over on the interstate.

A bit nervous what cloud cover over pretty much the rest of the nation's path will do to crowd surge and driving on Monday, but I'm hoping 4 hours extra buffer will be enough for an ordinarily 3.5 hour drive.

My biggest worry is finding parking wherever we end up.   If you remember Gallatin in 2017, outside of the immediate area of the park traffic was a breeze on the highways.