Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

29 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This should largely be a tale of two months, as the warmer than average first half should give way to a colder second half that will be accompanied by the first of two historic seasonal snowfall potentials. The first half of the month should focus appreciable snowfall across the interior of southern New England

@jbenedetI assume as a meteorologist you are proficient in reading comprehension, correct?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

CT Rhode Island SE MA up to BOSTON. BUST.

Most people live here. OOPS. 

This is trending well into ratter already for these locations; not even considering the next two cutters. 

Good luck @40/70 Benchmark

Hopefully all these people haven't been paying attention...

Screenshot 2024-01-08 102427.png

Talk about being disingenuous with this graphic. Selecting "24 Hours" misses most of the snowfall that occurred with this event.

Despite personal biases and/or emotions, let's be accurate. 

CaptureNWS.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

This is trending well into ratter already for these locations; not even considering the next two cutters. 

You cherry picked a chart that doesn’t even show most of the snowfall. Good lord 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Funniest part is I didn't even catch that.

Imagine on Jan 8th with most inland peeps now at or above normal snow ytd, telling you that it will be a below normal year with such confidence . Shit 1 more like yesterday for many and and a couple of 3 to 6s and they are normal.

the best part of this is that he (an actual meteorologist according to his tag, anyway) is attacking and comparing his "forecast" to Ray's. And Ray is a hobbyist. 

what a fucking loser.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

There is a thing in our society now about going on the offense/attacking other people for the things that are actually your faults and your wrongs.  It shows up everywhere, including this board.  It is both obvious and dysfunctional.

i think it’s the Niña background state

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

refresh my memory: was this storm supposed to be a suppressed whiff, or was it supposed to be a rainer?

32 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Back to back massive cutters will lead to a coastal track eventually right?

I would think so actually. What I take away from the season so far is that we have a lot of juicy systems. As the pattern slowly shifts with an NAO fed by strong cutters? We probably have a really good period of winter.  We’ve seen this happen in many winters past.

I’m not a meteorologist, but I am certainly feeling optimistic about what happens up here at least from the 13th on, particularly from the 15th.  Up my way we are getting close to 2 feet of snow so far this year and I think Brian is closer to 30 inches. That’s not bad and we’ll probably double that by the first week of February.

Good luck [mention=100]40/70 Benchmark[/mention]
2027878064_Screenshot2024-01-08102427.png.c91635f69e192f915dceba09ffd17144.png

Most of CT seemed to line up with forecast. Most forecasts were straight forward with the what ifs. Lower CT had been I. The 2-10 range depending on trends and dynamics. Closer to event we were lowered to 3-6. We reached 3” before the rain and probably got another inch post the change over. Seems pretty spot on. People need to actually listen or read and not just get distracted by potential snowfall maps

1 minute ago, Hazey said:

Those two cutters/screamers are gonna hurt. What a shame can't even get cold and dry to enjoy the winter landscape. Ohwell.

No cold outside of a day or two here.   Been a nightmare so far but at least we got a plowable snow yesterday...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

There is a thing in our society now about going on the offense/attacking other people for the things that are actually your faults and your wrongs.  It shows up everywhere, including this board.  It is both obvious and dysfunctional.

The thing is...everyone knows how difficult even short term forecasting is with respect to complex winter storm systems, never mind seasonal forecasting....all it takes is demonstrating a modicum of humility and tactfulness and people are pretty forgiving, or at least our peers within the weather community are.

Hopefully those of us who are not yet mindful of this will be at some point.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The thing is...everyone knows how difficult even short term forecasting is with respect to complex winter storm systems, never mind seasonal forecasting....all it takes is demonstrating a modicum of humility and tactfulness and people are pretty forgiving, or at least our peers within the weather community are.

Hopefully those of us who are not yet mindful of this will be at some point.

DALL·E 2024-01-08 11.16.39 - A picture of the Pope yelling at a short man with black hair who has a weather book in his hands..png

• Haha 1

On 12/23/2023 at 12:48 PM, jbenedet said:

If you’re looking for significant cold this is a West of Mississippi River story. Several pieces of guidance are pointing in this direction. At this point, I think the East-central US has some reason for excitement in January; I.e. big snow potential. Not seeing this elsewhere at the moment. This is a N to AN look for the east coast, AN favored in the northeast.

On 12/23/2023 at 12:52 PM, jbenedet said:

Reposting, as GEPS in general alignment with the GEFS at same timeframe.

Take away this far out is some confidence building on severe cold in early to mid January out western half CONUS. UL Ridging in the east..

On 12/24/2023 at 12:44 PM, jbenedet said:

def not.

Point is, balance of guidance has the core of the PV towards the mountain west. 

That latest run of the GEFS looks best though for our region. But some caution on that—it’s a bit misleading— you can still see height falls greatest over the SW on that run.

• Like 1