• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

Don’t like looking past this weekends storm but man does next weeks storm seem like a tipping point for winter at least out here up into Vermont.  I’ve seen 2011 mentioned, maybe take that and move it north a tad. Big January no doubt that year.  Haven’t really had a big January since.(we missed out on big Jan 2015 storm) I don’t expect much right here due to our lower elevation but drive 30 mins in several directions as Hippy knows and it’s a completely different world. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, greenmtnwx said:

As a lifelong skier in New England and the Rockies this is patently false. Not only does overall snow cover help the ski vibe, But more importantly glade and tree skiing is a big part of the mountain for many skiers.

don't agree, but I only ski on trail-I stay the fuck away from trees. too old for that

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

don't agree, but I only ski on trail-I stay the fuck away from trees. too old for that

I understand and that’s fair in your personal case. But there’s really no disagreement to be had, it’s a simple fact that many people glade and tree ski in New England and it’s an important part of the mountain. You said skiers don’t care, as in encompassing the skiing world, but there is no debating that overall coverage including trees is important and many skiers care. There is also a fairly large back country ski scene in both New England and the Rockies, which obviously depends solely on natural snow cover. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, greenmtnwx said:

I understand and that’s fair in your personal case. But there’s really no disagreement to be had, it’s a simple fact that many people glade and tree ski in New England and it’s an important part of the mountain. You said skiers don’t care, as in encompassing the skiing world, but there is no debating that overall coverage including trees is important and many skiers care. There is also a fairly large back country ski scene in both New England and the Rockies, which obviously depends solely on natural snow cover. 

I am actually trying to decide whether to ski Tuesday to Thursday next week based on the forecast - and it's impacts on glade skiing. If there is no glade and I am stuck on corduroy I am going to move that money over to N.Y. Rangers tix and stay home - looking the latter as the 10th looks like shite. I need to decide by midafternoon today.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cut said:

I am actually trying to decide whether to ski Tuesday to Thursday next week based on the forecast - and it's impacts on glade skiing. If there is no glade and I am stuck on corduroy I am going to move that money over to N.Y. Rangers tix and stay home - looking the latter as the 10th looks like shite. I need to decide by midafternoon today.

I can tell you that there’s definitely not gonna be any good tree skiing unless that 10th storm follows up on this storm this weekend. This weekend storm should be pretty good for most of the New England ski resorts but it’s probably a 6 to 10 inch deal and not going to make much of a dent in the trees. That 10th system looks pretty beefy though and if we were to be mostly snow at the resorts on top of this weekend storm the trees could get good pretty quickly. But based on your decision parameters I think it’s going to be too little too late and you’ve got to go with Le Rangèr. Besides, the boys are playing well this season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not the 10th/11th ... 

13-16th has a greater potential for an east correction.  Vague at this range (as yet) but that period should be watched.

Agree. 10th is gone, but no way the one after runs into the monster block by that point. That inside runner on the 10 reinforces the block.

36 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah,... I realize you're rooting for that and attempting to will it into reality ( lol just bustin') but in all seriousness, I'm not sure that doesn't triple point.  But even if it doesn't there's enough cold leading and boundary layer drag to lift the wind off the deck.  That doesn't appear to be a well mixed momentum to the sfc type of deal -

at this time. It can change between now and then

GFS pretty damned cold again for 1/10....GGEM warmed again, though the evolution is kind of weird....nothing like the previous two runs, so not sure what to think.

ICON (if we care) cooled from 00z....though 00z was pretty torchy like the Euro.

16 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

GFS pretty damned cold again for 1/10....GGEM warmed again, though the evolution is kind of weird....nothing like the previous two runs, so not sure what to think.

ICON (if we care) cooled from 00z....though 00z was pretty torchy like the Euro.

Hope the trend is our friend; don’t need rain at this point 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

High stakes. Could be fun, or could be two cutters and rain during 1/10-1/17 or so.

Yeah that 1/10-1/17 period is probably going to be key in whether this month ends up as a higher end snow month or not...and perhaps how this winter is remembered. Even if we have a blockbuster February, if we add in extra events with continuous snow cover during that 1/10-1/17 period, then it changes the whole vibe.

You could honestly have 2 big warning events in that period or two giant rainy cutters.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah that 1/10-1/17 period is probably going to be key in whether this month ends up as a higher end snow month or not...and perhaps how this winter is remembered. Even if we have a blockbuster February, if we add in extra events with continuous snow cover during that 1/10-1/17 period, then it changes the whole vibe.

You could honestly have 2 big warning events in that period or two giant rainy cutters.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Take a look at that block after the 10 system rides up....I don't see how the next one doesn't go Miller B.

My only problem is the PV is so far west, that it forces those systems to cut or just be more liquid than we’d like. Even with the block. 

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Take a look at that block after the 10 system rides up....I don't see how the next one doesn't go Miller B.

The block doesn't retrograde into an awesome spot until really post-1/17.....after that, the ensembles were going full 1978 with the arctic look (hopefully that keeps showing up), but it's still kind of precarious prior to that. The fact that the block is in the process of building/retrograding hopefully makes the corrections colder as we get closer, but I could still see a cutter in that 1/14-1/15 threat.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The block doesn't retrograde into an awesome spot until really post-1/17.....after that, the ensembles were going full 1978 with the arctic look (hopefully that keeps showing up), but it's still kind of precarious prior to that. The fact that the block is in the process of building/retrograding hopefully makes the corrections colder as we get closer, but I could still see a cutter in that 1/14-1/15 threat.

I don’t mind a cutter, just don’t want to see 1-4” of rain we have been seeing lately