Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

3 hours ago, Layman said:

You're joking, right?  Nobody's got natural snow but Cranmore has been blowing like crazy.  Click to see the other cams aside from the "Valley View"

https://cranmore.com/cams 

I know they are making snow. I’m talking about natural. Kind of wild to be riding up the chair with bare ground below. Not good vibes 

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I know they are making snow. I’m talking about natural. Kind of wild to be riding up the chair with bare ground below. Not good vibes 

Skiers don’t really care if there is no snow off-trail. I’ve been 3 times this season and have yet to see any natural snow off-trail.

the difference is that bare ground may keep the tourists at home, but the skiers are going to get their turns in.

• Like 1

It's going to be an uphill battle next week with that deep trough amplifying out west.....probably a front end 2-5" over the interior is a reasonable goal.....and it will get mild mid month as the MJO goes through the MC....but once that circles back around to the favorable phases after about the 20th and the PV begins drifting back eastward, there is going to be some absolutely astronomical potential. A guy I chat with online was mentioning the late January 1978 evolution with that OV inside runner and I can see it.

This is going to be one hell of a ride.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It's going to be an uphill battle next week with that deep trough amplifying out west.....probably a front end 2-5" over the interior is a reasonable goal.....and it will get mild mid month as the MJO goes through the MC....but once that circles back around to the favorable phases after about the 20th and the PV begins drifting back eastward, there is going to be some absolutely astronomical potential. A guy a chat with online was mentioning the late January 1978 evolution with that OV inside runner and I can see it.

This is going to be one hell of a ride.

Gun to head, how are you feeling about your 42-52 inch call for the Boston area? I’m not going to lie, I’m getting nervous about my 20-30 inch call busting, especially with the blocking being modeled for later Jan and a significant storm (6+) on the horizon. Imo your range is looking good right now. 

5 minutes ago, George001 said:

Gun to head, how are you feeling about your 42-52 inch call for the Boston area? I’m not going to lie, I’m getting nervous about my 20-30 inch call busting, especially with the blocking being modeled for later Jan and a significant storm (6+) on the horizon. Imo your range is looking good right now. 

I feel the same what that I did in August.

Confident.

• Like 1

Don't be fooled....it's taking a circuitous route to get there due to the residual cool ENSO GLAAM that continues to offer resistance at times, but this winter is going to offer some downright violent potential once things evolve later this month and into early February. I am not one for hyperbole at this stage of my life, but there just isn't any other way to articulate what I am envisioning.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Don't be fooled....it's taking a circuitous route to get there due to the residual cool ENSO GLAAM that continues to offer resistance at times, but this winter is going to offer some downright violent potential once things evolve later this month and into early February. I am not one for hyperbole at this stage of my life, but there just isn't any other way to articulate what I am envisioning.

Would have been nice to actually have snow otg more than 2 days 

22 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I wouldn't be at all shocked to see a February 2010 Snowmageddon repeated somewhere.

We had last year's March epic snowstorm and I can pass on a Snowmaggeddon, honestly. Some snow yes, over 30", no.

It’s interesting, looking at the pattern coming up it looks serviceable to good for the Boston area, but a lot better for interior areas. Almost like a La Niña snowfall distribution, wouldn’t be surprised to see Boston end the season with 40 and Worcester with 80-90 or something. 

7 minutes ago, George001 said:

It’s interesting, looking at the pattern coming up it looks serviceable to good for the Boston area, but a lot better for interior areas. Almost like a La Niña snowfall distribution, wouldn’t be surprised to see Boston end the season with 40 and Worcester with 80-90 or something. 

That is what I predicted for January....we'll see. I liked 1966, 1987 and 2003 in terms of snowfall distribution. 1966 best match meteorologically speaking.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

That would be the death blow to ski season. NH resorts already teetering.

There is no such thing as a death blow to ski season in the first week of January. It’s been an absolutely awful last 10-14 days, but we average almost 200” from here on out. Plenty of season left for the northeast, and especially northern Vermont. Things are looking up all over NE compared to last year right now. You’re looking to get a nice start this weekend.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SJonesWX said:

Skiers don’t really care if there is no snow off-trail. I’ve been 3 times this season and have yet to see any natural snow off-trail.

the difference is that bare ground may keep the tourists at home, but the skiers are going to get their turns in.

As a lifelong skier in New England and the Rockies this is patently false. Not only does overall snow cover help the ski vibe, But more importantly glade and tree skiing is a big part of the mountain for many skiers.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

There is no such thing as a death blow to ski season in the first week of January. It’s been an absolutely awful last 10-14 days, but we average almost 200” from here on out. Plenty of season left for the northeast, and especially northern Vermont. Things are looking up all over NE compared to last year right now. You’re looking to get a nice start this weekend.

He gets a carried away a lot…everything is a disaster and the worst ever/death blow type stuff. Very dramatic. :axe:

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Look how next week's inside runner augments that huge NAO block via wave breaking and poleward heat flux...that is going to put up one hell of a fight mid month against what will be a very hostile tropics....could be a 2007-2008 like stretch far enough north.

The year I snowmobiled until the last weekend in April?

a1ad01cd7c02ef43d540e7bc98982d12.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DJln491 said:

The 10th looks different.  I know we’re still way far out but curious to see the opinions on that. 

500mb trough takes longer to go negative for the 0z run than in 18z. Lobe of shear vorticity over the plains seems to be trailing more at 0z rather than getting wrapped up as much.