Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Good to me for day 6. Not amped like op which isn’t  a surprise, but good look.

Good spot really right now, Don't want its best this far out, Just like to keep this look until Thurs or so, Then we can start to dial it in

65930e374445c.png

• Like 4

I started to a thread for this system - fyi ... 

I want to take a moment to discuss a major overhaul to the hemisphere beginning to emerge.  It was a distant typically 'iffy' signal before, but around 3 days ago it started accelerating into coherence.    Now we are seeing -1 to as deep as -2 SD WPO anomalies emerging in the telecon projection.   This is also happening nearly in tandem with an emerging tendency to 'sag' the EPO back negative.  

You might recall ... I recently was concerned for a major warm up heading into mid month, possibly compensated by a -AO/-NAO.  The -PNA/+EPO signal ( previous) is a Pacific warm signal that was diametric to a cold polar domain exertion.  Very interesting...

However, now the Pacific appears to be collapsing the other way - new but real.  A newly defining -d(WPO) --> -EPO sends the Pacific arc into the 'AB' phase. The expectation therefrom materializes ( or tends to ...)  blocking N overriding colder heights uncutting.  This also tends to raise heights over the Alaskan sector ... all prelude to +PNA.  That sequence of events is the natural propagation of the R-wave distribution.  It was all missing up until 3 days ago but here we are with what really looks like a wholesale change.  

The -WPO crash in the telecon forecast during the ides of the month, and what is interesting is that the EPO starts actually sagging prior to any transmittance of that WPO signal into the N-NE Pac mode.   That's flagging a constructive interference being position in wait. The two of those together is interesting after the 15th of the month

• Like 6
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I started to a thread for this system - fyi ... 

I want to take a moment to discuss a major overhaul to the hemisphere beginning to emerge.  It was a distant signal but in the last 3 days, it's accelerated into coherence.    Now we are seeing -1 to as deep as -2 SD WPO anomalies emerging in the telecon projection.   This is also happening nearly in tandem with an emerging tendency to 'sag' the EPO back negative.  

You might recall ... I recently was concerned for a major warm up heading into mid month, possibly compensated by a -AO/-NAO.  The -PNA/+EPO signal ( previous) is a Pacific warm signal that was diametric to a cold polar domain exertion.  Very interesting...

The Pacific appears to be collapsing the other way - new but real.  A newly defining -d(WPO) --> -EPO sends the Pacific arc into the 'AB' phase, which means blocking N overriding colder heights uncutting.  This also tends to raise heights over the Alaskan sector ... all prelude to +PNA.  That sequence of events is the natural propagation of the R-wave distribution.  It was all missing up until 3 days ago but here we are with what really looks like a wholesale change.  

The -WPO crash in the telecon forecast during the ides of the month, and what is interesting is that the EPO starts actually sagging prior to any transmittance of that WPO signal into the N-NE Pac mode.   That's flagging a constructive interference is being position in wait. The two of those together is interesting after the 15th of the month

Yeah, good observation. I noticed that too. That iffy time looks like it’s going away for the time being. 

Big block on today’s 12z EPS. I think we need that because that looks like a healthy -PNA developing too.

15 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Good spot really right now, Don't want its best this far out, Just like to keep this look until Thurs or so, Then we can start to dial it in

65930e374445c.png

Not trying to pee on your party because I've been burned by them, but Storm Vista snowfall maps have always seemed to be off by 1 category vs. its legend (8-10 is really 6-8.) Here's Pivotal if ur interested. 

sn10_acc-mean-imp.us_state_ne_s (1).png

sn10_acc-mean-imp.us_state_ne_n.png

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Not trying to pee on your party because I've been burned by them, but Storm Vista snowfall maps have always seemed to be off by 1 category vs. its legend (8-10 is really 6-8.) Here's Pivotal if ur interested. 

I think I can live with that result…..and yes-they’re called clown maps for a reason.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, brooklynwx99 said:

i would be remiss to not mention this. this is a legit KU level block. 3 sigma at 12 days out is insane

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_norm_anom-5082400.thumb.png.3a31c30b5281902449bc19b729cd713c.png

We’ll need that because thats a stout -PNA. But yeah, that’s a big block modeled. I think I’d want to see a ridge where that trough is for a KU but no complaints here haha.

To Tip’s point, just don’t want that AK ridge to retro too much. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

We’ll need that because thats a stout -PNA. But yeah, that’s a big block modeled. I think I’d want to see a ridge where that trough is for a KU but no complaints here haha.

i think when you have a -NAO like that, you just need the -EPO, PNA can be neutral to slightly negative

a +PNA doesn't show up on the mean generally in those KU type patterns. it's just transient as the storms develop

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah, good observation. I noticed that too. That iffy time looks like it’s going away for the time being. 

Big block on today’s 12z EPS. I think we need that because that looks like a healthy -PNA developing too.

When they work out those are awesome patterns 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

yeah, I'm just trying to show that the Pacific signal has recently begun to change toward helping our cause with that.  But it'll be mid month... 

I mean we might have to deal with 3 or 4 days of AN ... it's part of the business. But the lease looks a lot shorter at the moment. 

• Like 4

Just now, brooklynwx99 said:

i think when you have a -NAO like that, you just need the -EPO, PNA can be neutral to slightly negative

a +PNA doesn't show up on the mean generally in those KU type patterns. it's just transient as the storms develop

Yes, also a tremendous amount of cold in the central U.S. and Great Lakes to me means that the favored storm track would be on the east coast 

12 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Not peeing on my party, I have pivotal, I have weathermodels, I have SV, I use SV for all the other maps and model analysis but while i was in there i thru that up and yes, SV is more generous with its qpf, Thanks though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Yes, also a tremendous amount of cold in the central U.S. and Great Lakes to me means that the favored storm track would be on the east coast 

the trough also rolls over and slips under the block. it's not a true -PNA... and there is also a -EPO that provides Arctic air. really exciting look here

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-5212000.thumb.png.da9c301ea5832d77a9c660bdb89e998d.png

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

the trough also rolls over and slips under the block. it's not a true -PNA... and there is also a -EPO that provides Arctic air. really exciting look here

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-5212000.thumb.png.da9c301ea5832d77a9c660bdb89e998d.png

This look reminds me some of Jan 2011…esp prior to the 1/12/11 storm. Big AK/Bering ridge with -PNA and big -NAO block. 

• Like 2

We (jdj) follow this all the time just to see if the EPS can find sniff out any snow threats and the last 2 years it’s been abysmal this is an absolutely loaded pattern on the eps with more threats beyond 1/7 and 1/10 that it’s sniffing out . Some huge 15 day outputs that I haven’t seen in a while.. 

IMG_2411.png

IMG_2410.png

IMG_2409.png

• Like 7