• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

I don't think ensembles are going to be much help with this and we're probably not going to get much clarity until we're about 60 hours out. Any "trends" we see now are going to be pretty worthless...we're going to have to see how guidance is handling everything once we get to the 72 hour window. This seems like a constant theme these past 3-4 winters. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I don't think ensembles are going to be much help with this and we're probably not going to get much clarity until we're about 60 hours out. Any "trends" we see now are going to be pretty worthless...we're going to have to see how guidance is handling everything once we get to the 72 hour window. This seems like a constant theme these past 3-4 winters. 

If your interested .. I outlined some of the reasons (theoretical) for why that may be the case over in the thread I just put up. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

“ I’m rooting for NNE snow”

and folks wonder why? 

what's worse is those folks yesterday salivating over and legit hyping the Euro solutions, yet the same people have been absolutely trashing that models MR/LR performance for months

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Trends matter . If it trends south for two days and more importantly *how much * you don’t want it so far you need a Hail Mary to Bring it back 

did the west trough weaken on the gfs, seems like that was helping this get latitude 

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It’s not like whiff, whiff, cutter is a pattern unfamiliar to NE.  Happens.  

Yup, Made that claim a couple days ago of the possibility, I still think we will get at least one of these to work out, If we get the 7th to track further north it will help out the 10th to stay further SE into a SWFE i think.

• Like 1

Just now, dryslot said:

Yup, Made that claim a couple days ago of the possibility, I still think we will get at least one of these to work out, If we get the 7th to track further north it will help out the 10th to stay further SE into a SWFE i think.

Yeah you want a phased 1/7 system helping with confluence ahead of the 1/10 system. GGEM was better for 1/10 too and I’m betting it’s 1/7 solution helped. 

• Like 3

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Trends matter . If it trends south for two days and more importantly *how much * you don’t want it so far you need a Hail Mary to Bring it back 

did the west trough weaken on the gfs, seems like that was helping this get latitude 

ehhh honestly sometimes the word trend is overused. I think Wes (Usedtobe) used to say at any conference he hated that word trend. 

We have seen several potential events these last several winters where ENS support was very high several days out and even some good OP support in the 3-4-5 day range only for us to start getting inside 72 hours and things just fall apart. 

• Like 1

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah you want a phased 1/7 system helping with confluence ahead of the 1/10 system. GGEM was better for 1/10 too and I’m betting its 1/7 solution helped. 

Looks like an all or nothing pattern. If 1/7 whiffs south we are cooked, but if it goes way north a wintry solution for 1/10 is back on the table.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah you want a phased 1/7 system helping with confluence ahead of the 1/10 system. GGEM was better for 1/10 too and I’m betting it’s 1/7 solution helped. 

Yes noticed it on yesterdays runs when we were getting snow up here from the 7th that the 10th looked good too, Yesterdays 12z Euro had it.

It's so early yet for any kind of call for next Sunday, Monday. Yesterday was a beauty of model runs. The nice part is it got a lot of us in a different place from where we had been. There's no way to know what's going to happen for the storm on the 7th for sure. Even though today's runs have been mediocre at best, there's going to be changes with the model runs later today, tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday. Same goes for the system on the 10th. We have no idea if it's going to rain, snow, nothing, cutter, coastal. Just focusing on the storm for Sunday for now. I'm just glad that we're tracking a winter type storm now, not a complete rain job!

• Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

and folks wonder why? 

what's worse is those folks yesterday salivating over and legit hyping the Euro solutions, yet the same people have been absolutely trashing that models MR/LR performance for months

Aren’t you worried about hydroplaning the Amazon van?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 15

On 12/31/2023 at 10:39 AM, jbenedet said:

A whiff…

And then a whiff or rain.

Can’t wait.

IMG_0500.png

IMG_0503.png

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Let’s whiff and then rain. 

10 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It’s not like whiff, whiff, cutter is a pattern unfamiliar to NE.  Happens.  

7 minutes ago, dryslot said:

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It’s a double whammy. The worse 1/7 is, the worse 1/10 is. If 1/7 is like the gfs, 1/10 is rains to Mainers 

• Thanks 1