• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday, December 17 - Monday, December 18, 2023 Storm

weatherwiz

Flooding has been high-end in NNE.  Inches of rain is one thing… but add in a very significant SWE melt and this is a big disrupter.  How many times can places say “this is a once in 100 year event?”

A friend/coworker’s view in Waterbury, VT.

7B80F638-769C-4AB5-9D94-08020E269FA3.jpeg.76eb1a87c1377d2dce6345adc4421880.jpeg

RT 15 in Johnson, VT, on the way to Smuggs from Stowe.

B592CF84-5EDD-48FA-B825-4D289158065D.jpeg.62ec4f23fd4e2182d0d28d180c270684.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

Pretty much every major snow event prior to this was high QPF… there was one fluffer but multiple 1”+ SWE snow events sat laying in wait east of the Spine.

Then strong SE winds brought a huge wave of moisture into those same areas that harbored the most SWE.

Many big QPF events have occurred in the past month, but we lucked out by 1C each time.  This one wasn’t even close though.  Pattern has been very wet.

• Like 2

We have been here since 2003, moved in the day after the Aaron Boone home run (I can only write the because of 2004 and subsequent years) and lost power only once before, the October snow for about half a day. Been out since yesterday morning and they told us up to 3 days; lots of damage around town as we drove around last night, poles cracked half way up, trees and wires down, roads blocked. Definitely an impressive storm.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don’t know I was energized from that storm lol. Better than 40 and sun.

Gotta admit, that was impressive...especially since I got to experience it in Chelsea....winds do not seem to have been impressive at home....shocker. I have blogged about some tropical systems that were not that impressive. I will continue to take the under on wind 9/10 times, but yesterday was that one out of ten.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Gotta admit, that was impressive...especially since I got to experience it in Chelsea....winds do not seem to have been impressive at home....shocker. I have blogged about some tropical systems that were not that impressive. I will continue to take the under on wind 9/10 times, but yesterday was that one out of ten.

It was. It had a few things going for it. I had the feeling it would be good at least on the S Shore but CT and even metro west got it good too. 

Currently almost flooded completely in here in the great brown north, luckily we live on a hill and currently have power, but only one way out of town right now since the river flooded over everywhere else, think we're past peak now though. Highest flood ive ever seen in my 32 years, worst since 1987 

PXL_20231219_120724660_copy_768x1020.jpg

FB_IMG_1702989122027.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It was. It had a few things going for it. I had the feeling it would be good at least on the S Shore but CT and even metro west got it good too. 

Big wind stayed south of my home, which I am okay with....worked out perfectly with my being able to see the damage at work in Chelsea lol

23 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

21 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Now that this one is in the books, I'm curious what the consensus is for @Damage In Tolland's take on this storm.  There were some high fives and "atta boy's" yesterday but was this a case of keen interpretation of model output, wish-casting, persistence forecasting or some combination of all these things?  Hindsight is always 20/20 but it's hard telling, for me anyways, if someone has truly sniffed something out ahead of time or just gets lucky.  He was definitely onto this and stuck to that going into go-time whereas it seemed like many (who I tended to agree with, especially due to the storm the week prior...) were on the side of this not being too impactful.  

Just curious what some pertinent bullet points are for an after storm review from those with experience doing this.  What was interpreted accurately and what wasn't?  What did DIT see ahead of time to say this is actually going to happen?  How often do those variables show up and it DOESN'T happen?

14 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Not localized either.  Damage In every county.  Sounds like a lot of rescues in the Brownfield - Greenville corridor. 

Its widespread, Winds were bad in some areas due to duration over time, But the worst is the snow melt and amount of rainfall that fell over a large area of the state that has caused the flooding.

Talked to my mom. Guess the pine tree did more damage then expected. Crushed much of the front door entrance, came partially through the ceiling. We've got a couple leads on guys coming out to remove the tree, but the repair work will be the main issue. It's a fairy new mobile home, but not sure how insurance will handle it. Some guys don't want to work on those. 

3 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Its widespread, Winds were bad in some areas but the worst is the snow melt and amount of rainfall that fell over a large area of the state.

Gonna try to walk/drive all 34 miles of our trails this weekend because if we need to bring in fill or rebuild a bridge we got to do it sooner rather than later if we want to be snowmobiling this winter, what a miserable stupid storm, I wish it was November instead 

• Like 1

Just now, TheMainer said:

Gonna try to walk/drive all 34 miles of our trails this weekend because if we need to bring in fill or rebuild a bridge we got to do it sooner rather than later if we want to be snowmobiling this winter, what a miserable stupid storm, I wish it was November instead 

That's the worst part of all, Some clubs won't have the resources or time to make the necessary repairs in time to salvage the season, Most don't know what it takes to maintain the trail system so its an oh well, And a shrug of the shoulders for many that have no skin in the game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dryslot said:

That's the worst part of all, Some clubs won't have the resources or time to make the necessary repairs in time to salvage the season, Most don't know what it takes to maintain the trail system so its an oh well, And a shrug of the shoulders for many that have no skin in the game.

Oh yeah for sure, further south in Maine or no ITS trails I think we might see quite a bit of trails closed. Around Franklin county they were finally recovering from this spring storm with all the bridges and trails washed away, probably gonna have to do it all again...

10 minutes ago, TheMainer said:

4 minutes ago, dryslot said:

We had to do it over the entire system after this summer's floods.  In my county we had one club that had to rebuild 13 bridges and replace 8 culverts.  I'm afraid to think what may be out there today.

• Sad 1