Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Dec/Jan Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

Just now, CAPE said:

12z GEFS is a bit more robust with the trailing shortwave dropping south behind the 27th rain event. A little snow across the region on the mean verbatim.

1703894400-03dxoCZYyxo.png

That’s the one. Nothing major of course but maybe could serve as an appetizer to a bigger one that you mentioned.

9 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

That’s the one. Nothing major of course but maybe could serve as an appetizer to a bigger one that you mentioned.

That has been a feature on op guidance but not much in the way of surface reflection. A bit better on the 12z op run today, so not surprising the 12z GEFS has a stronger signal for that time. Something to keep an eye on as this looks to usher in the initial push of colder air. 

17 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

also, notice that the source region has gone from the Pacific to northern Canada, AK, and the Arctic circle. follow the streamlines

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-namer-t850_anom_stream-4153600.thumb.png.883d00a49453476f84e8014dd9f97fba.png

Impossible according to the NYC crowd. It’s warmth and no snow if you believe them. 

• Haha 6

I usually lurk in the long range threads - and what I am about to say is purely "gut feeling-esque" but this upcoming period while it may not be the "peak climo" or "best odds" - has the feeling of a period of time that might define the remainder of winter. In other words, if we can find a way to make snow work with a less than perfect pattern a time or two in the next 2+ weeks, it feels like something bigger might come "easier" (term used loosely). Similar to how Bob and others say some winter it just "wants to snow" 

If we get skunked through like January 10th, it may still be game on for later in the month and into Feb, but it'll have a whole different feel if we can back into or have a few events sneak in before primetime. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

I usually lurk in the long range threads - and what I am about to say is purely "gut feeling-esque" but this upcoming period while it may not be the "peak climo" or "best odds" - has the feeling of a period of time that might define the remainder of winter. In other words, if we can find a way to make snow work with a less than perfect pattern a time or two in the next 2+ weeks, it feels like something bigger might come "easier" (term used loosely). Similar to how Bob and others say some winter it just "wants to snow" 

If we get skunked through like January 10th, it may still be game on for later in the month and into Feb, but it'll have a whole different feel if we can back into or have a few events sneak in before primetime. 

No doubt. When PSU broke down how things might proceed from here, I cringed a bit. I know he still said late January-February could be the real deal, but potentially waiting until then after all the talk of virtual wall-to-wall -NAO and -AO and after so many seasons of nothingness and can-kicking.........whew, that would test us.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Yes.  Part of forecasting and model “guidance” is the timing. Cold and snow if predicted for 12/15, then 12/30, then 1/15 and such finally arrives 1/25 is a Busted outlook. Eventual outcome has some limited merit but timing is even more valuable. Nobody was excited about Dec anyway but by end of the month we need to see the pattern change to what the analogs showed or we are in trouble with what previous outcomes in Ninos have provided for us. .

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

26 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Well said my feelings exactly too!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

We have a good pattern setting up for Dec 29-Jan 2, then it looks like the Aleutian island ridge comes on strong hr384 on 12z GEFS. By the end of the run, the pattern is transitioning toward possibly a SE ridge. 

Did they relocate the southeast USA? 

IMG_0175.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

23 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

We have a good pattern setting up for Dec 29-Jan 2, then it looks like the Aleutian island ridge comes on strong hr384 on 12z GEFS. By the end of the run, the pattern is transitioning toward possibly a SE ridge. 

Nothing ever positive. People like that

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Haven’t seen EPS yet, but otherwise an encouraging 12z suite to my eye. 3 big globals all show some light snow/snow showers in the area late next week as cold air arrives and are setting up well beyond D10. GEFS and GEPS show the Jan 4-6 period is very compelling. GEFS also again around Jan 1-2. 

• Like 16
  • Weenie 1

13 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Haven’t seen EPS yet, but otherwise an encouraging 12z suite to my eye. 3 big globals all show some light snow/snow showers in the area late next week as cold air arrives and are setting up well beyond D10. GEFS and GEPS show the Jan 4-6 period is very compelling. GEFS also again around Jan 1-2. 

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-t850_anom_stream-1703160000-1703937600-1703937600-20.gif.5f1d9e05358d5c23c00adff165c6c23a.gif

• Like 12

The 12z deterministic GFS gives warning criteria snow to the 81 corridor in the Jan. 4 - 6 time-frame. This of course will all change but I see this as a determination of pattern.

The 21 members of the GEFS give basic agreement to the pattern, but as earlier this week and last, it disagrees with its own parameters if looking at literal precip. type.  That is a repetitive flaw with this ensemble.

The 12z EPS is superior to the GEFS in this regard.

1 hour ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Are you okay?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Edibles? Vape? Flower? You smoking that good shit. Hook a brotha up?

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

33 minutes ago, Ji said:

EPS has blue in the snowfall map finally 

Yes, the 15-day mean in College Park is over an inch (1.1") for this first time this winter.  We're entering a period when the modeled large-scale pattern is favorable and the climatology is less unfavorable.   Hopefully, we get a few inches before we hear the word maritime continent again.