Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec/Jan Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

3 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Yes absolutely. Pacific trough is shoved west, solid arctic high for cross polar flow, and much better cooperation from the Altantic. Let's keep it going.

Hoping we can go on a 3 to 4 week heater from maybe mid January to Mid February where we get several accumulating snows.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Weather Will said:

I don't know why anyone cares what the GFS depicts beyond 5 days....

That’s silly because up to 360 hours is intensely presented and discussed here

Models don’t predict weather but rather give examples of possible outcomes keeping in mind to cover as many bases as possible.

Many of the alphabet indexes that have become popular in last 10 years I find unproven. The Enso and NAO and AO have stopped being as reliable as they were thru about 2012. Pacific was important but no where near as dominant as now.

Since models really never did much beyond 3-5 days when times were Good and in this changing, unpredictable environment, they are in even more trouble. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Hoping we can go on a 3 to 4 week heater from maybe mid January to Mid February where we get several accumulating snows.

My wag is that we get a nice period from post-Xmas to Jan 10-14 or so. Then a reset for a week or two, then hopefully a real heater from late Jan to mid February. We’ll see.

• Like 14

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

My wag is that we get a nice period from post-Xmas to Jan 10-14 or so. Then a reset for a week or two, then hopefully a real heater from late Jan to mid February. We’ll see.

2010 was very high on the analogs. It’s very possible we follow a similar progression just displaced 2 weeks later.  Obviously I’m not expecting it to get to that extreme. That takes a lot of luck on top of a good pattern.

1958 followed a similar progression but our area got unlucky during the January window and had to wait for the mid Feb to mid March window to hit big.  But there is a lot of history to two favorable periods with a reload. 1966 also, reload early Feb before another snow event late Feb. 

• Like 6

Just now, CAPE said:

It hasn't been 'missing' that whole time. We have had timely periods of +PNA/-EPO that contributed to cold/snowy periods.

Composite Plot

yes but generally we have been missing that, 2022 had a favorable pattern in Jan

besides 2019/2022 past 7 years haven't been really good here(except 2021 for northern areas?)

compare to last up period for NE US

This plot is not dissimilar to the PNA

... maybe it's just me but I hope the run comes to fruition and has snow.  Despite the "best", "amazing", and "favorable" adjectives, the ensemble mean snow here for the next 15 days is less than 1".   I'm certain the analogs are more favorable. ... and yes if the long wave pattern is favorable the snow may come.  ... and of course, day 15 is just before our great period

1656574857_14-kmEPSGlobalKCGS15-daySnowfallMatrix.thumb.png.df9151d081bc719edf86119686b52dc0.png

• Thanks 1

PSA

When to worry about a post implying it’s not gonna snow 

The post is supported by sound logical analysis citing reliable data 

When not to worry about posts implying it won’t snow 

The post is supported by a random plot from a 300 hour operational run. 

The post cites absolutely no reliable data or evidence 

The post is based on feelings and emotional venting 

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, DarkSharkWX said:

yes but generally we have been missing that, 2022 had a favorable pattern in Jan

besides 2019/2022 past 7 years haven't been really good here(except 2021 for northern areas?)

compare to last up period for NE US

This plot is not dissimilar to the PNA

Many of our snowiest periods historically don't feature a ridge out west, in particular during a Nino. Good to see it show up on the means, especially in the absence of a -NAO. Ofc the last few runs of the EPS are suggesting a -NAO period may develop as well.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Hasn't the GEFS schooled the EPS wrt the LR last 3 or 4 years? Let's cool our collective jets. Yes, the EPS is a unicorn look. Just.....just let's get closer and get the GEFS on board or some support. BTW, I'm all in for Jan-Feb. Have been since Nov and nothing I see can convince me otherwise attm. 

Last I heard the GFS was in fourth place for the global 500 HP metric, behind the euro, Canadian and ukmet.  Now I'm not sure if that was only talking about the operational or includes their ensemble systems as well.  Also not sure if there is any difference in global performance vs NH LR patter in the cold season, which is what we really care about.  I wish I had some idea where to get that data easily.

6 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Hasn't the GEFS schooled the EPS wrt the LR last 3 or 4 years? Let's cool our collective jets. Yes, the EPS is a unicorn look. Just.....just let's get closer and get the GEFS on board or some support. BTW, I'm all in for Jan-Feb. Have been since Nov and nothing I see can convince me otherwise attm. 

The GEFS look is decent, but not drool worthy. It has backed off a bit over the last couple runs on the amped western ridge, with the most notable +heights over Hudson Bay and a slightly +NAO at the end of the run. My guess is it is probably a few days behind(or the EPS is a bit ahead) with the general progression of the pattern.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

well thank fucking god you were here to let us know all that. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

GEFS isn't bad at all. Keep expectations in-check....that's all. And don't be angry if the epic eps look doesn't play out verbatim. Sheeeesh.

I gotta admit, his post made me LOL.

You do have a habit of swooping in here and dropping a deuce on a good vibe. B)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7