Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter '23-'24 Piss and Moan/Banter Thread

IWXwx

44 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Just read through some of the Dec 3 2010 storm thread.  So many peeps from then have left or been banned, kinda sad.

It's crazy how far removed we are from the "hey day" of weather boards. I think the declining popularity of internet forums in general plays a big role (many seem to gravitate to personal chats on messenger or other platforms), as does the increasing amount of trolls and/or people who arent even on a weather board to discuss weather.

17 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

It's crazy how far removed we are from the "hey day" of weather boards. I think the declining popularity of internet forums in general plays a big role (many seem to gravitate to personal chats on messenger or other platforms), as does the increasing amount of trolls and/or people who arent even on a weather board to discuss weather.

Yep.  Mostly has to do with Trolls.  This site isn't so bad but other internet forums got flooded with overwhelming trolls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

I wouldn't necessarily say Internet forums are declining.

I'd say it's a combination of:

*Millennials getting older, busy with their careers and have settled down with kids/partners. Even during the hey dey, the weather boards were mostly a teen and early 20-something ordeal, a time when you have virtually no responsibilities, good health and are full of adrenaline. Gen Z and Alpha are also smaller in size than Millennials were (thus a smaller audience of young weather weenies as a whole).

*Society has become a lot more, socially, politically and economically polarized since the 2000s and early 2010s. So much of the community is now bifurcated into our own little echo chambers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Powerball said:

*Millennials getting older, busy with their careers and have settled down with kids/partners. Even during the hey dey, the weather boards were mostly a teen and early 20-something ordeal, a time when you have virtually no responsibilities, good health and are full of adrenaline. Gen Z and Alpha are also smaller in size than Millennials were (thus a smaller audience of young weather weenies as a whole).

*Society has become a lot more, socially, politically and economically polarized since the 2000s and early 2010s. So much of the community is now bifurcated into our own little echo chambers.

Also wonder if some people realize what they say online is noted by company HRs and peoples social media is reviewed by HR hiring teams.  I.e. private groups can be much safer.

3 hours ago, Powerball said:

You left out us boomers B)  Seriously, I think you're right, especially about by being bifurcated into their echo chambers

May help the forums and perhaps bring in more posters if we had a strong winter for this region. It's been awhile since 2013-14, 2007-08, GHD1 and 2. Too much thread the needle with no widespread arctic air to tap and lack of phased storms. Not to mention the recent  Decembers.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cary67 said:

May help the forums and perhaps bring in more posters if we had a strong winter for this region. It's been awhile since 2013-14, 2007-08, GHD1 and 2. Too much thread the needle with no widespread arctic air to tap and lack of phased storms. Not to mention the recent  Decembers.

It was arguably worse during the amazing stretch from 2007-15. The board was full of members, and some of them had IMPOSSIBLE expectations. Plenty of complaints in winters that featured 150+% of normal snowfall. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

I was 14 when I came to the group of forums a lot of us have belonged to for so long. There are no replacement troops. This type of platform for communicating is archaic and dying. 

Teens now use twitter or discord for weather chatting, things on a forum move too slowly for them. Personally I like both forums and chat groups, they both have pros and cons.

• Like 7

19 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Youtube needs to change it's name to Hypetube.  Seems like every video (weather forecast related especially) is overly hyped, especially by the video title or vid graphic.  I get that each youtuber is trying to make their vids pop for views, but it's really dumbing down the site.  

You should watch Eric Snodgrass's daily videos (Nutrien Ag Solutions).  He's great.  He knows his sh*t and has good presentation skills.  I'm not sure how detailed he will get once we start getting big winter storms, but he is based in Illinois so he has a lot of interest in our area/region.

Snodgrass YouTube link

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2023 at 6:01 PM, weatherbo said:

I was 14 when I came to the group of forums a lot of us have belonged to for so long. There are no replacement troops. This type of platform for communicating is archaic and dying. 

I remember the eastern US weather forum and AccuWeather forums. I forget how I found this one 

41 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

I remember the eastern US weather forum and AccuWeather forums. I forget how I found this one 

I received a text from another member of Eastern with the link to the new board.  I had been banned from Eastern just prior to its collapse.  Not sure for what anymore but it was probably deserved. :lol:

• Haha 5

31 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

I received a text from another member of Eastern with the link to the new board.  I had been banned from Eastern just prior to its collapse.  Not sure for what anymore but it was probably deserved. :lol:

I remember you over at eastern, but also can’t remember what happened. I do remember flipping out when I went to the site one morning and it was gone. I don’t remember how I found my way here with the eastern crew, but was glad I found it.

• Thanks 1

GHD I brought me here. Before I was on any weatherboards I had read rumblings of a possible historic blizzard for the MW and google brought me here. The snowfall maps leading up the that storm were unlike anything I had seen for my area, I’m pretty sure if memory serves correct I slept 8 hours over a 48 hour period leading up to the storm.