Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

30 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

What I love the most about this storm:

1. We went from “pattern does not fit a snow event” to warning level snows.
2. South shift does exist.

I was surprised by the size of the shift. I don’t really recall many shifts that big, less than 24 hours out.

1 minute ago, Superstorm said:

Warning criteria met in Lancaster and York and still no warning.

I really like the CTP people and they do a bang up job but this storm was not their finest hour.  Yesterday they had my area in 4-8” with WSW and then last night lowered it to 3-5” and still with a warning.  Im at 5” now and still have an hour or so to go.  Sometimes the NWS folks lean way too heavy on the National Blend Model solution but this storm was horribly predicted via the Canadian suite of products and only late yesterday did the Euro finally catch on

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Coop_Mason said:

Not bad.   EJ reports 3” in Emmitsburg less than 10 miles away.   I’m closing in on 5” here 

At first, I thought there was 5 inches earlier, then I took three measurements about an hour ago and they were all at 6, surprised me a little. 

I did suspect 2” an hour rates and that basically confirmed it for at least 90 minutes

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Just got into work after an 80 min drive (normally 35).  Pretty much puking snow the hole way from the house.

Observations from newport rd to etown rd to office in etown.. 

Litltz - was around 3-4" when I stopped for office fasnachts at weisers (best donuts in the world)

Manheim - at least 5-6" and was one big traffic jam

etown - about 5" at 8:10 am

if we can hang onto a couple more hours, high ends likely in play.  If not, its still a fantastic pounding all the same.

I will also add that for those that stayed home....you were smart.  Been a long time since i've driven in such greasy conditions, and I LOVE driving in it.  Lets just say my arse was puckered tight a handful of times.

Enjoy everyone who got into it.

Same here! co-worker called at 430 and gave me a heads up on how bad roads were. roads were untouched when i came in. I can't recall driving on 11&15 or I-81 that was unplowed. 

• Like 1

At 8:30am in Carlisle, the temperature is 32.7 degrees.  It is still snowing moderately, but in the process of ending.  Radar shows the back edge about 15 miles to my west.  Only picked up an additional 0.2" for a storm total of 5.8".  I'll take a final measurement at 9:00.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sauss06 said:

Same here! co-worker called at 430 and gave me a heads up on how bad roads were. roads were untouched when i came in. I can't recall driving on 11&15 or I-81 that was unplowed. 

Yeah I usually chuckle at some folks for not driving in it, but any that sat this one out...it was legit.  FWIW my vehicle is and AWD Acadia. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

PPL estimates my power will be restored by 11pm on Valentines day. The heavy snow ripped the telephone line from the house to the pole. And I still hear trees cracking and breaking.

You've gotta be at 8" + ??

3 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Now we gotta hug Z Icon for friday night/saturday refresher.  :P

Looks like multiple chances for at least some flakes in next 7-10 days.  Sure hope so.

Lots of chance ls on the 6z Gfs, but no direct hits. That's ok with me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

PPL estimates my power will be restored by 11pm on Valentines day. The heavy snow ripped the telephone line from the house to the pole. And I still hear trees cracking and breaking.

They gave me that exact same time estimation when my power went out a few hours ago. Hoping yours comes back sooner than later.