Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

24 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

An inch of paste on everything non-paved here but melting quickly. Looks beautiful. Low of 32 and current temp of 34. Will get a full QPF reading in a little bit. 

You doubled me.  I'd say 1/2" for my area.  North of Lititz/Manheim was the big winner on my way into office.  Frosting on trees and mountains to north had a pretty frosting as well.  I was just pleasantly surprised to see anything, so my expectations were surpassed.  

Northern Centre PA-Clearfield PA-
813 AM EST Mon Dec 11 2023

...A BAND OF HEAVY SNOW SHOWERS WILL AFFECT PARTS OF NORTHERN CENTRE AND CLEARFIELD COUNTIES...

HAZARDS...A band of heavy snow showers which can rapidly reduce visibility to less than one mile.

LOCATION AND MOVEMENT...At 813 AM EST, a band of heavy snow was along a line extending from Clearfield to 22 miles east of DuBois and moving southeast at 15 MPH.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
Clearfield, Philipsburg, Woodland, Penfield, Hyde, Plymptonville, Rockton, Chester Hill, Snow Shoe, North Philipsburg, Clarence, South Philipsburg, Moshannon, Pine Glen, Black Moshannon State Park, Parker Dam State Park, Lecontes Mills, S.B. Elliot State Park, Morrisdale, and West Decatur.

For those driving on Interstate 80, this includes areas between the Dubois Route 255 and Milesburg exits, specifically from mile markers 102 to 148.

This includes the following highways...
Route 322 from east of Rockton to north of Port Matilda.
State Road 153 from near S.B. Elliot State Park to Penfield.
State Road 255 from Penfield to Penfield.
State Road 350 near Philipsburg.

SAFETY INFO...
Conditions can deteriorate rapidly in winter weather situations. Be prepared for snow or ice covered roads. Slow down and allow extra time to reach your destination.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Nice snowfall here in Mt Top, Pa elev 1700ft.  Around 4 inches or so on deck and around 2.5 on the driveway. Heavy wet snow so compacted don't know what actually fell when it started, sure there was melting at the start, woke up few times during the night, looked out the bedroom window, snowing very hard, couldn't see all the way up the road

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

You doubled me.  I'd say 1/2" for my area.  North of Lititz/Manheim was the big winner on my way into office.  Frosting on trees and mountains to north had a pretty frosting as well.  I was just pleasantly surprised to see anything, so my expectations were surpassed.  

You know it's funny, I have a weeeeee bit of elevation on my side here.  I'm about halfway up the little ridge here and the back yard is pushing 500'.  I know it doesn't sound like much but relative to my immediate surroundings it's something ha, and I think it may have played a small role.  As you know, I'm still getting used to this new location.  

12 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

Sounds like your intentionally grounding us, or you giving up so early in the season, I guess we will have to wait for Blizz to post future snow maps to get us back on the field after that costly penalty.

That was a hail mary that did not work out.  ha.  Not cancelling anything.  Seriously, the lack of cold air is a real hinderance to having any chance of identifying threats very far out.  The GFS has a low take a great track in 7 days and it is rain everywhere except far North New England. Track will be different in a few hours but not sure there will be any more cold air to work with.   No obvious frying pan periods either...just a bit AN. 

• Like 1

In all honesty, I'm extremely grateful for what we've seen over the last week or so.  I love these little storms that just creep up on us.  Heck I don't think anyone would have predicted seeing snow falling 3 times over the last week even as Thanksgiving approached.  Just goes to show you, (imho) that because something isn't modeled a week out doesn't mean we can't see snow.  For me this is 10X better than last year.  Side note, I'm happy to see the juiced up systems that keep popping up.  Keep the faith!!

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

1.71" of rain in Maytown.

I think I'm going to be in that range as well, just waiting for the snow to melt in the gauge.  Brought it inside to speed up the process ha.  I'll tell you what, I may have actually had more than an inch here.  Wish I would have been able to snag an accurate timely measurement. 

1 minute ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I think I'm going to be in that range as well, just waiting for the snow to melt in the gauge.  Brought it inside to speed up the process ha.  I'll tell you what, I may have actually had more than an inch here.  Wish I would have been able to snag an accurate timely measurement. 

One of the met's in the MA thread estimated the snow was 3:1.   If so, the Kuch maps were too high.  

1 hour ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

You know it's funny, I have a weeeeee bit of elevation on my side here.  I'm about halfway up the little ridge here and the back yard is pushing 500'.  I know it doesn't sound like much but relative to my immediate surroundings it's something ha, and I think it may have played a small role.  As you know, I'm still getting used to this new location.  

Dude, you don't have to answer to me.  Your word is plenty good IMO.  I'm not one of "those" guys.  

And even if you were embellishing a bit....the diff between 1/2" and 1" really shouldn't be anything to squabble over regarless....

Happy for you pal.  Enjoy your microclimate :P

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mitchnick said:

Looks like we wait until January  unless we sneak something in during the last week of the month. It is what it is. 

while the pattern looks better in the coming weeks, heights associated w/ said pattern aren't anything to get jacked up about.  All we can hope for is that once we get the flow right, we can get more chances as peak climo gets closer.  That's been my worry while parsing over Ens guidance for the last week.  540's north of our region, no matter the flow....makes it challenging for sure.  IF the SSW that is being discussed can take shape and grows in confidence, the lag time is typically 15-30 days, which could help us to get into some fun w/ colder source regions.