Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

9 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Hopefully the MJO progression into the null phase & then emerging into weak phase 7 & 8 will help the pattern to improve by the end of the month.

IMG_3581.png

IMG_3582.png

I hope the emergence into 8 continues due West...right off the chart.  Low amp might not be enough help if AO/NAO are only slightly in our favor as tellies suggest twds Christmas week n beyond.  Regardless, signals are starting to look somewhat better, and lets hope that trend continues. 

5 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Sw'ly flow ahead of the front killed any chance at an inversion. Closest Wunderground site to me only made it to 28.6.

Correct - frontal passage timing is unique in that now that the flow has switched around to the NW, temps will only slowly rise today before bottoming out tonight. 

• Like 1

It is indeed a "not comfortable" 40's out.  Just stepped out and did not have a coat on. 
I see on the NWS wind chill calculator they have watts per metered square. I'm familiar with it from solar power, but how is it related to wind chill? It seems to go down as temp increases but wind stays steady.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

12Z GFS op still have some stuff to watch.  It is changing so much run to run I am not going to put too much effort in it but has cold air chasing the big storm Mon/Tue (too late for LSV) then said storm is back to looping up and try to pull somewhat cold air back down over us Christmas Eve.  Certainly not great panels but still in play. 

I'm just the messenger of one professional opinion...and it's a rather strong one at that. (posted last evening from MU)

Essentially, cold air is and will remain bottled up at high latitudes for at least the next 2-3 weeks. Greenland/North Atlantic blocking is currently absent and not expected to develop through the end of December, and a Pacific Jet Extension (PJE) should flood much of North America with mild air for the foreseeable future. PJEs typically force a southward dip in the Jet Stream over Alaska and the eastern Pacific and a subsequent northward bulge over eastern North America. The resulting, westerly flow across the contiguous United States keeps Arctic air confined to high latitudes.

As such, December is essentially a "lost cause" for snow-lovers south of I-80 and east of I-99. "Wishcasts" calling for a White Christmas or a shift toward colder/snowier weather around the holiday are simply not based in reality and should be ignored. The tide may turn in early- to mid-January, but it'll be a "no-show" until then. As the old adage goes, "Patience is a virture." -- Elliott

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I'm just the messenger of one professional opinion...and it's a rather strong one at that. (posted last evening from MU)

Essentially, cold air is and will remain bottled up at high latitudes for at least the next 2-3 weeks. Greenland/North Atlantic blocking is currently absent and not expected to develop through the end of December, and a Pacific Jet Extension (PJE) should flood much of North America with mild air for the foreseeable future. PJEs typically force a southward dip in the Jet Stream over Alaska and the eastern Pacific and a subsequent northward bulge over eastern North America. The resulting, westerly flow across the contiguous United States keeps Arctic air confined to high latitudes.

As such, December is essentially a "lost cause" for snow-lovers south of I-80 and east of I-99. "Wishcasts" calling for a White Christmas or a shift toward colder/snowier weather around the holiday are simply not based in reality and should be ignored. The tide may turn in early- to mid-January, but it'll be a "no-show" until then. As the old adage goes, "Patience is a virture." -- Elliott

I guess one might ask what cold air means?  If it means no lows in the 20's then I say this has little chance of being correct.  If it means no cold air timing moisture, then yea definitely a possibility (no snow.)  If I were MU's professor, I would fail him on this statement because 30 is cold no matter what time of the year, IMO.   Patience is also allowing for people to misspell virtue.   LOL

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I guess one might ask what cold air means?  If it means no lows in the 20's then I say this has little chance of being correct.  If it means no cold air timing moisture, then yea definitely a possibility (no snow.)  If I were MU's professor, I would fail him on this statement because 30 is cold no matter what time of the year, IMO.   Patience is also allowing for people to misspell virtue. 

I hesitate to speak for someone that I don't even know. I'll assume that he means that in aggregate, the remainder of the month will be well AN. Your point is certainly thought provoking, and I guess opens things up for personal perception. I would not classify a low of 30 or even in the 20s in December as "cold" but again, that's me. The normal low at MU for the remainder of the month ranges between 22 and 26 degrees, so a temp of 30 is fairly significantly AN. If it was 30 on the morning of 10/14, I'd say it's cold. To me, the time of year matters greatly in my own perception. 75 in February is incredibly warm, 75 in July is delightful. 

Interesting how all of us are unique in our own perceptions. :)  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I hesitate to speak for someone that I don't even know. I'll assume that he means that in aggregate, the remainder of the month will be well AN. Your point is certainly thought provoking, and I guess opens things up for personal perception. I would not classify a low of 30 or even in the 20s in December as "cold" but again, that's me. The normal low at MU for the remainder of the month ranges between 22 and 26 degrees, so a temp of 30 is fairly significantly AN. If it was 30 on the morning of 10/14, I'd say it's cold. To me, the time of year matters greatly in my own perception. 75 in February is incredibly warm, 75 in July is delightful. 

Interesting how all of us are unique in our own perceptions. :)  

Definitely thought provoking.   If he said no arctic air in the first sentence, then I am down with that.  But I think there is a decent chance MU gets below 25 more than one more time this month. The NWS Zone forecast for MU tonight is 24.    But yea, saying cold vs. AN does change the perspective.      To me, 25 or 30 is cold any day.    Mild would be 38, 40ish or above for lows right now.  This is similar to the "what is a heatwave" discussion.

• Like 2

Definitely thought provoking.   If he said no arctic air in the first sentence, then I am down with that.  But I think there is a decent chance MU gets below 25 more than one more time this month. The NWS Zone forecast for MU tonight is 24.    But yea, saying cold vs. AN does change the perspective.      To me, 25 or 30 is cold any day.    Mild would be 38, 40ish or above for lows right now.  This is similar to the "what is a heatwave" discussion.
I took it as no periods beyond 1-2 days of departure from normal greater than 5+ degrees below normal

• Haha 1

That is a whole bunch of reading between the lines.  LOL. 
Haha, it is, but even with that predictor it was pretty weak, just several times more likely than periods when it wasn't. God only knows how the hell to communicate that to the masses outside of some catchy jingle

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

I took it as no periods beyond 1-2 days of departure from normal greater than 5+ degrees below normal

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

That is a whole bunch of reading between the lines.  LOL. 

I've read and reread that statement 15 times.

And now, it's happy hour for me. 

• Like 1