Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

2 hours ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Who came up with Rat or Ratter anyway? 

Do we have a name if it turns out to be amazing... Like .. Goldilocks? 

I had a guy in the dorm at college in the late 1960s who used to say “this blows dead rats”.   So I brought it into conversation here and started saying “ratter”.   I demand residuals!

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’ve been pointing this out for a few years now. Last one was 2010 here. They don’t happen anymore.

for reference, the last white Christmas I was 16 and a junior in high school. I’ll be turning 30 in March lol

Well , there is a reason I travel for snow . Life is short and if I can’t I’d rather invest emotionally in something that will bring me more happiness than frustration . I mean I’d go back to Florida where girls prance around in bathing suits and are under 200 pounds otherwise .

I would like to see data on snow cover days for areas that were marginal winter weather wise and warmed over the last twenty years . Like maybe Philly , NYC , L.I and the immediate burbs as well as S coastal SNE .

Seems like there are more high-moderate to high events based on more juicier systems seemingly present which can help total snowfall numbers where there is a little more temp wiggle room but I would be curious if total snow cover days are decreasing simultaneously for the areas I mentioned . During slower winters I do ponder whether  at some point 20 -25 or so years from now if the basic New England CP SE of 500’ MHT to ORH just turns into what upper interior mid Atlantic to NYC and S coast has or maybe that isn’t the general case 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

52 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I always count 2017 because 20 min later there was an inch. We had one south of BOS in 2010, but Logan didn't get much from the snow event near the 21st I believe.  

I think 2010 was mostly Logan-specific. I was in Boston on Xmas eve and the common was covered with about 2-3" of snow and there was about 2" OTG the entire way back to ORH.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think 2010 was mostly Logan-specific. I was in Boston on Xmas eve and the common was covered with about 2-3" of snow and there was about 2" OTG the entire way back to ORH.

That's what I recall too even in Dorchester where I was. I do remember my friend in East Boston having less than what I had in that event. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Just checked the NOHRSC maps and they seem to agree

image.png.da66557391fd0c9a671427ac9e966f0a.png

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

And same in 2009...yet they're saying it was a white Christmas??  

It appears BOS stopped reporting snow depth after the 2003-2004 winter. So I have no idea what station they are using to determine anything past December 2003 for snow depth and white Xmas.

We obviously know 2009 had snow there but in more marginal years, I'm not sure what they are using. I don't even think 2010 was that marginal either.

10 minutes ago, weathafella said:

This year, the vast majority of CONUS will NOT have a white Christmas.   I wonder if anyone has a database nationwide and what we’re seeing this year is a record....

The Weather Chanell this morning reported that if things remain the same in regards to snowcover that it will be a record.....consdering the record warmth that is likely to occur it is extremely likely that Christmas 2023 will  establish a new record.