Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

31 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Huh, what a multi-faceted menace next week could be. 

Flooding SE'easter

Tropical cyclone

'hook 'n' latter' nor'easter with rain/snow mix

A soaking and forest flattener followed up by icestorm followed by snow cover the next day . I’d sign up for that and call it a winter 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Weenie 3

1 minute ago, WJX231 said:

Some of the models are showing a slight possibility of a STC from this. In the unlikely event that it verifies, how would it compare to say 12/24/94? That event produced long duration damaging winds in my area on par with the 03/02/18 wind event.

That was a coastal storm that back in NW off Nantucket. This is sort of different in that it acts more like a cutter initially. But, it has some warm core characteristics.

The euro verbatim is real nasty in ern areas.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I’d take the Euro and run. That would prob be a few inches anyway. 

GGEM too... just not as protracted.

It actually brings a CCB burst exiting on this solution -

It's all obviously subject to change with these ongoing continuity issues.

Next period of interest is Dec 28 -31st

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

This is our last shot for a white Xmas . We need Tuesday/ Wednesday to pan out 

I wouldn’t totally sleep on 12/23-25 yet if Canada wants to get blocky. Those can go either way…you can end up under a ridge and be 50F and partly cloudy, or you could end up with snow and 27 if there’s a block over Hudson Bay and shortwaves are diving under you.

It’s not something I’d bank on, but it’s plausible. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I wouldn’t totally sleep on 12/23-25 yet if Canada wants to get blocky. Those can go either way…you can end up under a ridge and be 50F and partly cloudy, or you could end up with snow and 27 if there’s a block over Hudson Bay and shortwaves are diving under you.

It’s not something I’d bank on, but it’s plausible. 

I think everyone should ask Santa to bring them what the 12z Canadian is showing for the 20th 

3 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

So a 60° rainer on Christmas Eve is just another rainer to you if there’s no snow to melt? 

Oh it's Grinchy, but nowhere near as painful without snow on the ground. That massive cutter we had a few years back that wiped out a foot of pack on Christmas Eve was absolutely excruciating. Rain on bare ground sucks, but not like that.

• Like 1

So that's a pretty significant consensus shift by the operational versions across the board, for multi contoured closing low.  Something is missing there ... there should be an explosive response as that much q-v forcing combined with height falls intersect the coast - it's really almost on textbook spec.

I suspect it is the lead Miller A evacuating the dynamics away and so we're looking at a starved scenario. Otherwise there'd likely be a much more significant response with that thing. There may in fact yet be one, too - it's a bit of wild notion but I'd really watch that.  It could be a weird scenario that just happens to be particularly difficult to model. The Miller A may be too deep; a weaker passage would leave a marginal dynamic b-c axis more intact - things end up different.  The last Miller A turned out to be almost 15 mb weaker than the 4 day consensus, too.

Predicated on the assumption that N/stream is real.

• Like 3