Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Euro does have dews into the 60s down there. It’s worth watching.

It’s the same setup south of pike as the one we had last year. I remember all the MA posters asking where big winds and damage was . South of pike got crushed. Especially the eastern 2/3 of CT and RI up To south of Scooter in S Wey .Gusted to and over 60 in many spots 

27 minutes ago, dendrite said:

50kt? It’s like double that.

image.png

image.png

He posted 60mph at 5k feet…lol

But yeah, if it actually gets to 90+ knots, then there’s at least some potential to mix down 50+ at sfc, though even usually that isn’t enough because of inversion. 

edit: I reread his tweet…looks like he was just coloring minimum of 60 at 850 and not saying that was the cap…not sure why we’d even care about values that low. You’d prob want to start at 80+. 

17 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s the same setup south of pike as the one we had last year. I remember all the MA posters asking where big winds and damage was . South of pike got crushed. Especially the eastern 2/3 of CT and RI up To south of Scooter in S Wey .Gusted to and over 60 in many spots 

Our batting average on these is like late-career Chris Davis levels. For every “hit” there’s like 10 whiffs. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

The ensembles are pretty clueless beyond D10 right now. Check out this animation for the last 48 hours on the EPS…12z on the 4th, 12z yesterday and 12z today….all 3 of these are valid Dec 18th 00zIMG_9777.gif.9861528b6175cd27b44ae7bb7a46fa16.gif

Yeah .. Scott and I were musing over the utter lack of predictive skill in the mid month. man -

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah .. Scott and I were musing over the utter lack of predictive skill in the mid month. man -

I mean, just look at the EPO region…went from deep blue to orange in 48 hours. Horrific continuity…we wouldn’t be surprised on an OP run but for an ensemble mean to do that is notable. Shows how clueless guidance is right now. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

the peak winds aloft happen around 12z and winds are sse. snooze

I suspect the bigger wind threat from that frontal ordeal's really going to be more so convection dependent.  Could see a ribbon squall with some wild rad tags tripping warnings...  General 35 to maybe 40 mph gusts out ahead go W on that squall wedge with a turbine gusting along with sheets of blinding rain for 5 minutes while it side-winders through the area.   

This type of frontal nature, with deep warm dp transport out ahead of that kind of squal/cold frontal combo ...I've seen this probably half the Nov and Dec I've lived on the planet.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I mean, just look at the EPO region…went from deep blue to orange in 48 hours. Horrific continuity…we wouldn’t be surprised on an OP run but for an ensemble mean to do that is notable. Shows how clueless guidance is right now. 

And has been. Take a white Christmas to the bank .

15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Folks that live in SNE understand that SE winds are the most damaging due to prevalent winds being WNW. A 50+ SE gust does far more damage than 50+ NW gusts. 

C’mon…this won’t be anything extraordinary.  I know you’re dying for some active weather, we all are.  But this is most likely not it, and nothing that special for most outside of cape Cod and Nantucket.  That’s my take. But I mean if it makes you feel better to hype it up, then I guess you’re doing what makes you happy.  Hope you’re right, and I’m wrong. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

Should be at least 45kt gusts for SOME southern folks if model soundings are fairly accurate.  That'll damage

Won’t be like the ones we had in the 90’s with trees bent to the ground.. but if these soundings are anywhere close to correct .. there’ll be 50-64 mph gusts .. mainly south of pike and east of a Springfield/ HFD line. Basically the area that sectors. We’ve seen these so many times.. it’s generally that setup 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1