Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

19 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It backed off from yesterday...has me at like an inch now, as opposed to 3-4".

Not totally surprising given how early it is.

im kind of with scooter on this, probably closer to Christmas before something decent settles in.

Doesnt mean there wont be marginal chances before, but I wouldn’t expect much outside of Hubb to dendrite land for most.

• Like 1

Good lord, I think I'll start sticking to this subforum now. I was just told I must live with my parents and not own my own home in the NYC subforum for saying I like cold weather and am happy that the ski season has gotten off to a good start. Living just west of Danbury, CT, our weather is much more New England like than NYC Metro. I am very happy to see several nights of snow making temperatures at night and also quite a few next week after some moderation this weekend. It would be great for the ski areas to be able to have a good amount of terrain open for the holiday season this year, since many, especially in southern NY and New England, have missed that period the past couple of seasons. This season is already off to a great start, let's hope it stays that way for awhile.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Last year was also the winter of retreating highs. That helps the marine air penetrate further inland. A decent high position would have resulted in much different weather where you are. 

We have friends that live in Exeter, but formerly Epping. I recall one time back in 2013 right when I got to 101 there was just a semblance of frozen translucent crust. As I looked west on 101 from that spot, I could see the snow cover maybe 2 miles away. So I know what you mean with the sharp gradients. 

The difference between Exeter and Epping average snowfall looks like it may highlight what you guys have mentioned regarding the marine influence.  Not sure how accurate this data is, but it's claiming the averages are:  Exeter. 55.71" and Epping 61.85".  http://www.usa.com/rank/new-hampshire-state--average-snow--city-rank.htm 

About a 10 mile NW stretch for a 6" increase on average.  

A warm spring/summer/fall evening on one of the decks at Seadog in Exeter can be a good time for dinner if you haven't been there.  Nice little spot overlooking the Squamscott.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

Good lord, I think I'll start sticking to this subforum now. I was just told I must live with my parents and not own my own home in the NYC subforum for saying I like cold weather and am happy that the ski season has gotten off to a good start. Living just west of Danbury, CT, our weather is much more New England like than NYC Metro. I am very happy to see several nights of snow making temperatures at night and also quite a few next week after some moderation this weekend. It would be great for the ski areas to be able to have a good amount of terrain open for the holiday season this year, since many, especially in southern NY and New England, have missed that period the past couple of seasons. This season is already off to a great start, let's hope it stays that way for awhile.

Definitely a good start to the season.  You may enjoy this ski season thread with lots of good pics from those who've been on the mountains already:  

Please say "Hi" to mom and dad for us. (joking!) 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Layman said:

The difference between Exeter and Epping average snowfall looks like it may highlight what you guys have mentioned regarding the marine influence.  Not sure how accurate this data is, but it's claiming the averages are:  Exeter. 55.71" and Epping 61.85".  http://www.usa.com/rank/new-hampshire-state--average-snow--city-rank.htm 

A warm spring/summer/fall evening on one of the decks at Seadog in Exeter can be a good time for dinner if you haven't been there.  Nice little spot overlooking the Squamscott.  

That's too low for both. Exeter should be close to 70 easily and Epping maybe 5" more.

14 minutes ago, Layman said:

Those aren’t accurate numbers. Epping averages more than 61” and Exeter is much higher than 55”. Sometimes coop data is a bit unreliable…esp for snowfall. 

edit: Scott beat me to it 

41 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

EPS actually is a great look for places near Dryslot to Lakes region etc and on west. 

GYX talked about big overnight shift on models...lots of weak waves along a front draped across new england with high to the north....and maybe the 5th and 6th waves come together as a big storm.  Zones are vague but mostly mention snow after Saturday and through Tuesday.  So far this year it seems to want to snow up here but we'll see.

There's a series of s/w moving along the front that OP models are showing now stalling rather then clearing the coast allowing some warmer air to hang back, HP a bit weaker and further north, Needs to sharpen as well and build further south, Still hopeful the last in the series in the Mon-Weds time frame can amplify into a coastal system that we saw a few days back, Still a lot of time to work things out, Models struggle with multiple waves.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The net gain EPS snow output next week is interesting even in this area 

It's funny, none of the Mets in our area are biting on a wintry solution. But one of them did mention there's a possibility of a mix, but right now saying that one system looks like it's going to go to the north and one to the south of us. They don't want to talk about any possibilities of snow until it's a definite. Here's to hoping, but we'll have other opportunities. I'm sure. It's still very early

1 minute ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

It's funny, none of the Mets in our area are biting on a wintry solution. But one of them did mention there's a possibility of a mix, but right now saying that one system looks like it's going to go to the north and one to the south of us. They don't want to talk about any possibilities of snow until it's a definite. Here's to hoping, but we'll have other opportunities. I'm sure. It's still very early

Latitude will matter for sure.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Those aren’t accurate numbers. Epping averages more than 61” and Exeter is much higher than 55”. Sometimes coop data is a bit unreliable…esp for snowfall. 

edit: Scott beat me to it 

I know you’ve posted before, but what’s the best annual snowfall climo map you’ve seen for SNE?

2 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

This looks like dog shit, especially given background conditions.

Stop looking for snow and start hoping for minimal pack loss to our friends who have it in the far interior.

IMG_0376.png

We're all in agreement snow will be a tall task during the first two weeks of the month in SNE.

• Like 1

Just keep building the pack base in the NW zones of ME/NH/VT for now, I plan on heading north all winter this year and during the week to boot to ride fresh tracks, Then pass 100's of sleds on the weekend with people coming at you on your side of the trail and conditions beat to shit.

• Like 1