Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Banter 2023

George BM

14 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Been a busy fall for me. Been running heavy equipment with a buddy doing grading, clearing, private road installs etc. If anyone is interested in before and afters, my buddy has a good Facebook biz page (Fisher Construction and Excavation in Amherst VA). I worked every job since Labor Day. I love this more than anything I've done. Offices may as well be on Mars cuz I'm NEVER doing that again. I'll go bankrupt first because money is never more important than sanity hahahaha

I have tons of fall pics but they are a jumbled mess. Lol. Put a couple collages together. Smith Mtn gets hit by sunrise b4 my property. Lights it up the entire mountain while I'm in total shade. Happens every day and steals my heart every time. 

I mill a lot of wood in my spare time and it's a blast. I'm getting a bandsaw mill in 2 weeks. 30" log diameter and 18' track but I'm always going run a chainsaw mill. Drag into the woods and start making lumber. Hard to describe the experience and what it means to me. Few can relate so I generally quietly mill and don't talk about it. Second collage is a white oak I dropped and milled 2 weeks ago. Just about ready for edging and planing. Using the oak for shed floor and doors. 

20231126_072346.jpg

Through & through?

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Sometimes you gotta win games you don't deserve to win a la the 2023 Steelers, lol This is the first time this year that the defense helped seal the game...followed by Zay. Still can't quite tell where this team is headed...but I think they took a good step on those last two drives.

Given how tough their schedule is the rest of the way, this game was almost a must have. Now the bye and then the Rams at home. They should be 10-3 and pretty much guaranteed a playoff spot.

• Like 2

It wouldn't be as bad as it is in the long range thread if people would stop trolling. Control maps from 1100 hours out of context etc.  Drive by comments with literally nothing to add other than to complain.  the ratio of shit posts to quality posts is way out of whack. I would almost lock that thread so that only about six posters could post in it.  Or maybe see if randy will allow the mods to nuke the trolling shit straight to hell, that would help too. 

It also didn't help that mt psu made everyone care about his backyard for early snowfall and ratcheted up the anxiety level. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

It wouldn't be as bad as it is in the long range thread if people would stop trolling. Control maps from 1100 hours out of context etc.  Drive by comments with literally nothing to add other than to complain.  the ratio of shit posts to quality posts is way out of whack. I would almost lock that thread so that only about six posters could post in it.  Or maybe see if randy will allow the mods to nuke the trolling shit straight to hell, that would help too. 

It also didn't help that mt psu made everyone care about his backyard for early snowfall and ratcheted up the anxiety level. 

Guess I've become slightly immune to the stuff, SOME quirky off the wall things and people desperately wanting snow is to be expected when several years of crappiness has happened. But I do miss the days when discussion was 90+% about the weather and models and not everything else in the long range. OH, and PSU just gave us that 'control feature' everybody was asking for lol. 

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

but we must care about him getting his first inch of snow! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

What I find the most annoying is the truly disingenuous posts from experienced/long-time posters. Whether those are trolling posts, ones simply made to get a response, or even ones made out of ignorance, they irritate me to no end because they end up pushing a bunch of weenies to cry in their Cheerios and shit up the thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

I'm just going to say it here and get it over with. Looks like 2 days of chilly weather and then endless days of 50-55. Our new normal high from Nov to April is like 50.

Dulles's normals today are 52 and 33 and it never averages less than 42 for a high and 25 for a low. Folks need to readjust their expectations.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, mattie g said:

What I find the most annoying is the truly disingenuous posts from experienced/long-time posters. Whether those are trolling posts, ones simply made to get a response, or even ones made out of ignorance, they irritate me to no end because they end up pushing a bunch of weenies to cry in their Cheerios and shit up the thread.

co-sign. It really makes it so much worse from people who should know better. 

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

^ Damn...that's insane.

I do BIAB and my setup is positively prehistoric compared to yours! :lol:

I only considered it because the brewery that I work at sold me the 20 gallon pots at a discount price.  Who knew I'd still spend a small fortune?  Dave (@losetoa6) came over and hooked up the breaker box and I also got some advice from @CAPE about wiring the box.  I built the control panel, but after starting to wire it, I realized I'd burn the house down so a couple of smarter friends (not a difficult trait) helped me out.  I'm not expecting the batches that I brewed yesterday to turn out very good because so much time was spent figuring things out, but we'll see.  It's got a learning curve to it, but it's pretty cool. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I only considered it because the brewery that I work at sold me the 20 gallon pots at a discount price.  Who knew I'd still spend a small fortune?  Dave (@losetoa6) came over and hooked up the breaker box and I also got some advice from @CAPE about wiring the box.  I built the control panel, but after starting to wire it, I realized I'd burn the house down so a couple of smarter friends (not a difficult trait) helped me out.  I'm not expecting the batches that I brewed yesterday to turn out very good because so much time was spent figuring things out, but we'll see.  It's got a learning curve to it, but it's pretty cool. 

First time I have seen the finished product. Impressive looking set up!

Does the PID control significantly reduce temperature over/undershoot compared to manual or standard On-Off(thermostat) control?

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

First time I have seen the finished product. Impressive looking set up!

Does the PID control significantly reduce temperature over/undershoot compared to manual or standard On-Off(thermostat) control?

It will, I think.  And it'll definitely be more consistent than my old cooler mash tun. Hitting my mash target temperature yesterday was hit, miss, up, and down, but I think I've got it figured out.  I'll get beer out of the batches yesterday, but we'll see how they turn out compared to my old five gallon batches.  I'm not worried about it.  A sour, and even a neipa can hide a lot of mistakes.

The annual Christmas/Holiday Party is December 9 so I'll also be rushing the fermentation and carbonation anyway.  Fortunately, most of my friends don't have discerning palettes. 

• Like 1

So let me get this straight. With all the things that normally end winter before Dec like:

angle of the cold, Siberian snow cover, solar sun spots, the strong weak Nino Nina Santa Maria, SSTs in the bay of fundy, latent heat in the MDR and Ji

I NOW have to add in and factor in the jet streak from Dubai AND some dumb snow on Mt PSU?

28 minutes ago, H2O said:

So let me get this straight. With all the things that normally end winter before Dec like:

angle of the cold, Siberian snow cover, solar sun spots, the strong weak Nino Nina Santa Maria, SSTs in the bay of fundy, latent heat in the MDR and Ji

I NOW have to add in and factor in the jet streak from Dubai AND some dumb snow on Mt PSU?

the Ji/PSU combo is a killer

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Jebman said:

Where is The Reaper?

Just in case the winter does not pan out and I jump, I want to be Reaped. And buried in the deep Mammoth snows.

OMG, it's OVER!!!!  If the @Jebman is contemplating a reaping you know it's bad!  It would be @WxWatcher007's greatest triumph I suspect, if the Reaper actually takes the ultimate snow optimist's soul!!  He might even come out of retirement for that! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, mattie g said:

I know exactly what you mean, and I've seen the same.  Kinda annoys me as well.

7 hours ago, mattie g said:

7 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

co-sign. It really makes it so much worse from people who should know better. 

Winter is honest to God the most dumb time of year on AmWx. After trying for years to use humor to redirect conversation I just can’t take it anymore. 

On 11/26/2023 at 11:38 AM, dailylurker said:

I love this place. It's full of weirdos (interesting people) and deep thinkers. There's all walks of life here. The one thing we all share is that we're different than probably 95% of the population. We're gifted with a very deep connection to nature. We're a group of unique fokes and the conversations reflect that. Our Mid Atlantic fourm is the funniest on the board imo. This place cracks me up all the time. Welcome back, Bob! Great to see your doing well and finding peace. Gorgeous place!

The shared love of wx and nature, and the continued contributions of good people are the only things that keep me around. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Winter is honest to God the most dumb time of year on AmWx. After trying for years to use humor to redirect conversation I just can’t take it anymore. 

The shared love of wx and nature, and the continued contributions of good people are the only things that keep me around. 

I think it's important to understand a lot of the people here are extremely passionate about snow. Myself included. We need to be have tolerance for meltdowns and weird negative comments here because this is the only place where people can vent without being put into a mental institution lol. I can't go to my friends and family and tell them how I feel when the models pull the rug on a pattern or storm. I do anyway and they think I'm crazy, but I don't care. It better f**king snow soon. I'm sick of 55 and sunny. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Wait a minute...all this time I thought the Reaper meant serious bid'niz!!!  Now we hear it was all for amusement?!?! :weep::lol:

But you do have a point, winter can definitely be the most dumb (even dumberer!!) time of year on here!! :lol:

And in all honesty, I really appreciated your humor!

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic