Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Banter 2023

George BM

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

Not to mention that's not even a real rebuttal?

P.S. "RMPL"?

My less direct way of saying "read more, post less" 

But now not so subtle lol. 

I just went back and checked... The map that the person posted was the Euro ensemble control... Not even the OP

Been a busy fall for me. Been running heavy equipment with a buddy doing grading, clearing, private road installs etc. If anyone is interested in before and afters, my buddy has a good Facebook biz page (Fisher Construction and Excavation in Amherst VA). I worked every job since Labor Day. I love this more than anything I've done. Offices may as well be on Mars cuz I'm NEVER doing that again. I'll go bankrupt first because money is never more important than sanity hahahaha

I have tons of fall pics but they are a jumbled mess. Lol. Put a couple collages together. Smith Mtn gets hit by sunrise b4 my property. Lights it up the entire mountain while I'm in total shade. Happens every day and steals my heart every time. 

I mill a lot of wood in my spare time and it's a blast. I'm getting a bandsaw mill in 2 weeks. 30" log diameter and 18' track but I'm always going run a chainsaw mill. Drag into the woods and start making lumber. Hard to describe the experience and what it means to me. Few can relate so I generally quietly mill and don't talk about it. Second collage is a white oak I dropped and milled 2 weeks ago. Just about ready for edging and planing. Using the oak for shed floor and doors. 

20231126_072346.jpg

• Like 17

34 minutes ago, mappy said:

It’s not even winter yet and the long range thread is messy af

It really is.  I don't have any education in weather but really enjoy coming here to learn and post observations.  I really wish that some folks can understand what banter is and where it should be posted.  I'm sure that I am guilty of bantering outside of that thread, but ti does get cumbersome trying to read through the "junk" to get to the legit posts and real discussion. 

It would be nice to be bale to create a thread and only let certain folks --Mostly Red Taggers and a select few be allowed to post within.  That would definitely keep down on the noise. 

19 minutes ago, toolsheds said:

It really is.  I don't have any education in weather but really enjoy coming here to learn and post observations.  I really wish that some folks can understand what banter is and where it should be posted.  I'm sure that I am guilty of bantering outside of that thread, but ti does get cumbersome trying to read through the "junk" to get to the legit posts and real discussion. 

It would be nice to be bale to create a thread and only let certain folks --Mostly Red Taggers and a select few be allowed to post within.  That would definitely keep down on the noise. 

That thread tends to get toxic, but man is it worse than ever this year. And the usual suspects are at play in doing it too. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RickinBaltimore said:

That thread tends to get toxic, but man is it worse than ever this year. And the usual suspects are at play in doing it too. 

Thing is, banter in disco thread is totally fine... at certain times that are easy to identify. But that's not how it's been working. When there's a lull, yuk it up. It's fun.

When it's crowded with lurkers and disco posters, just shut the heck up man. Critical thinking is a lost art or... people purposefully choose "poor timing" for maximum (emotional) effect. Imho- that's bad faith, period. Not "oopsie sorry". Just bad behavior with a broken moral compass.

That drove me out of here specifically. Started getting rises out of me. My post history shows my transition in real time. One day i scanned my post history and was very disappointed in the way my behavior was changing so I had to call it quits being a regular.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Thing is, banter in disco thread is totally fine... at certain times that are easy to identify. But that's not how it's been working. When there's a lull, yuk it up. It's fun.

When it's crowded with lurkers and disco posters, just shut the heck up man. Critical thinking is a lost art or... people purposefully choose "poor timing" for maximum (emotional) effect. Imho- that's bad faith, period. Not "oopsie sorry". Just bad behavior with a broken moral compass.

That drove me out of here specifically. Started getting rises out of me. My post history shows my transition in real time. One day i scanned my post history and was very disappointed in the way my behavior was changing so I had to call it quits being a regular.

Leesburg 04 told me he misses you posting regularly...me..I'm on the fence but you seem like a good guy who's handy with construction equipment 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, mappy said:

It’s not even winter yet and the long range thread is messy af

I know, right?!?!  Can't even get to Thanksgiving dinner before several people (you know who!) post doom and gloom that we aren't going to get any snow during the current/upcoming cold period.  IT'S NOT EVEN DECEMBER!!  Anyone expecting "real" snow this month...well, I got nothing! :lol:

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Hey there @Bob Chill!  Good to see you in here again, and let me first say those fall pics are amazing!!  I totally love fall and fall colors.

Agree totally with you.  Some banter or yukking it up in the LR thread is fine when there's not really a whole lot going on, or if there's a lot of "hypothetical" pattern watching for the medium and beyond period.  I admit I post a certain amount of banter in there, though I also will reply and post it in the Banter thread here as well.  But yeah, when things get going and there's an actual threat on the horizon, or when we go into "storm mode", banter should be a minimum.  Like you, I found myself getting at times really aggravated at some of the doom-posting and other BS, some of it done deliberately.  But I've become a bit more "Zen" about it and let it go, only paying attention to or replying to posts with actual content.  Doesn't mean I don't get frustrated when snow chances fall apart...but it's freaking weather!  And I don't feel the need to put 1000 posts on here agonizing about how I feel!  LOL!!

I'm sorry you were kind of driven out of here with all that.  I hope that now maybe you'll be able to stop on by in here more despite some of the crap (though I can understand it's not easy!).  As I mentioned in the LR thread a short while ago, your input is always welcome here, and I've gotten a lot out of the knowledge you and others impart.

I love this place. It's full of weirdos (interesting people) and deep thinkers. There's all walks of life here. The one thing we all share is that we're different then probably 95% of the population. We're gifted with a very deep connection to nature. We're a group of unique fokes and the conversations reflect that. Our Mid Atlantic fourm is the funniest on the board imo. This place cracks me up all the time. Welcome back, Bob! Great to see your doing well and finding peace. Gorgeous place!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dailylurker said:

I love this place. It's full of weirdos (interesting people) and deep thinkers. There's all walks of life here. The one thing we all share is that we're different then probably 95% of the population. We're gifted with a very deep connection to nature. We're a group of unique fokes and the conversations reflect that. Our Mid Atlantic fourm is the funniest on the board imo. This place cracks me up all the time. Welcome back, Bob! Great to see your doing well and finding peace. Gorgeous place!

Pin on Favorite Movies

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

DM stormtracker and tell him to give me the ctrl-alt-del button on my mini mod panel. 10 seconds and it's all fixed! Lol

Jokes aside, human emotional control (of lack thereof) and how it transforms quality discussion into a trench fight has me turned off probably permamently. Some of it is 100% deliberate and some of it is the oil/water nature of group interactions when there is no personal recourse or consequences (other than a ban but that does nothing to fix the global problem way beyond AMWX). 

I behave identical online and in person. What you see is what you get. There is a core crew here I love who are aligned but things have changed and my tank filled up nearly 2 years ago. It just wasn't fun anymore. It became tiresome. 

People have become extremely centric and inflexible online in general. My way or highway! Lol. Add in bro-science, conspiracies, ànd persuasive morons leading sheep and it gets REALLY hard to have quality interactions that include facts and other people's points of view. Rational discussion, willingness to seriously consider another's views, and ability to concede or compromise is just about gone from social media. People have much more fun interacting with emotions and drama. For many, its the only reason to engage. Emotional control is something I hold in high standards. If you want to gain knowledge and explore ideas and concepts properly, you need to listen to everything and contemplate. Not knee jerk spew garbage cuz you don't agree or your feelings are dented. Unfortunately there is no fix because the majority doesn't want to "fix things". They like stirring and prodding and poking for entertainment. I can't do that anymore. 

Thanks for this post. And I gotta say to you and others: I was a part of the problem that drove you all away, and I own that, and feel awful for it quite often. I'm working on changing and slowly but surely making progress, but there's no undoing my part. I've made it about me and my feelings not realizing how it was sounding to everybody else. I apologize to you and everybody else...striving to be better and perhaps make up for it somehow. It's a process...

I too miss your insights: but I totally get why you left. It is indeed a time suck and online is...online, lol Glad you made the decision for your own mental health. Always good to see ya drop in though!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Thanks for this post. And I gotta say to you and others: I was a part of the problem that drove you all away, and I own that, and feel awful for it quite often. I'm working on changing and slowly but surely making progress, but there's no undoing my part. I apologize to you and everybody else...striving to be better and perhaps make up for it somehow It's a process...

I too miss your insights: but I totally get why you left. It is indeed a time suck and online is...online, lol Glad you made the decision for your own mental health. Always good to see ya drop in though!

I'm not @Bob Chill and don't even play him on Snow-TV :lol:, but chiming in here to say good on you for recognizing if you perhaps got "out of hand" with some posts, etc.  Hell, we all do that!  You cannot change what happened or what was said of course, but it is possible to just move on and better oneself afterward.  Don't look back and dwell too much (this coming from someone who tends to dwell waaaay too much at times, which I do!).  I'd wager most people would be willing to recognize if one changes for the better, and see you for the better.

This hobby is similar to watching sports. You want your team to win, but have zero control over the outcome. They also both have a competitive aspect to it that can magnify the noise. It might be why there’s a fair number of people on here who enjoy both sports and weather. The difference for me is that when I actually play sports (typically basketball), I can have at least some control over the outcome (it’s also a creative outlet for me). With the weather, you can’t really “play”…you’re relegated to just learning up on the topics and relying on models/data in order to not only become a better forecaster, but to seek a desired outcome. Fun hobby, but it takes patience…and probably too much sometimes. Personally, while I enjoy the analytical part, the most fruitful part of this hobby is when the weather is in real-time.

How’s that for deep thinking? Lol
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, 87storms said:

This hobby is similar to watching sports. You want your team to win, but have zero control over the outcome. They also both have a competitive aspect to it that can magnify the noise. It might be why there’s a fair number of people on here who enjoy both sports and weather. The difference for me is that when I actually play sports (typically basketball), I can have at least some control over the outcome (it’s also a creative outlet for me). With the weather, you can’t really “play”…you’re relegated to just learning up on the topics and relying on models/data in order to not only become a better forecaster, but to seek a desired outcome. Fun hobby, but it takes patience…and probably too much sometimes. Personally, while I enjoy the analytical part, the most fruitful part of this hobby is when the weather is in real-time.

How’s that for deep thinking? Lol

Fantastic lol. 

Good luck all!  I was supposed to put together a wish list for XMAS but got distracted but wasted by time perusing these articles from the winter of 2023-2024. 

Capital Weather Gang: “Thirteen things need to come into alignment to give a big snowstorm to the coastal plain – in a bad year they are uncorrelated – In 2023-2024 R was close to 1!

January 25, 2024 was a January 25, 2000 redux but 50 miles further west .

How to measure snow in a blizzard (hint don't slant stick or you'll lose the stick) 

How to make an igloo - the most googled phrase in Maryland last week

Potassium or magnesium chloride: a quick guide

With the five inches Baltimore received yesterday, it joined the 100-inch club

The top ten snowstorms of 2023-2024

Rain-snow line? In 2023-2024 for DC, it was as simple as multiplying by 10. 

… and that is why there are 5 categories of a blizzard. 

Let's hope for several forum uniting storms! 

Multiple Ravens/Chargers connections in my fantasy matchup this week.  I have Gus Edwards and Justin Tucker.  My opponent has Austin Ekeler, Cameron Dickler, and the Ravens D.

I guess that means I root for Edwards to dominate on the ground but for Lamar to get sacked back to the 50 yard line and Tucker to hit multiple 60+ yard fields goals.  Meanwhile the Ravens D to crush Ekeler and Dickler but let everybody else run wild.

32 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

So many points have been taken off the board this year going for it on 4th and short when they were in Tucker’s range.

I actually can only think of two questionable 4th down decisions this year: tonight and the Steelers game. Harbs doesn't go for it on 4th down nearly as much this year as he did in 2021 and part of 2022.

4 minutes ago, CAPE said:

The offense disappearing in the second half has been a major contributor to their 3 blown leads and losses this season. That was a bad series after a big forced turnover by Clowney.

What is really shocking to me is how bad the Chargers are this year.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic