Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Yesvember or November?

Go Kart Mozart

8 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I do wonder if opinions or posts on here would change if real money was on the table.  I believe TanBlizz would still be all in on warm/above normal temps… but I would be interested if Wolfie was all in on cooler temps in the long range, once money becomes involved.

Odds would also be interesting.  It’d sort of be putting your money where your mouth is and see how that changes the tone.

Oh I think the tone would instantly collapse into very mediocre, blah non-committal statements...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Casing point for the so-called warm trend the end of next week. Now one of the three major weather stations here in our state are calling for temperatures to get above 60 next Friday. Then next Saturday they calling for the 50s with rain. So there were some calling for temperatures in the 60s to near 70 the end of next week? What happened to that warming trend?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Oh I think the tone would instantly collapse into very mediocre, blah non-committal statements...

The irony is, I didn’t commit at all, was just in awe over the anxiety, because we are 3 weeks away from the very start of December.  And then we have 4 weeks to finish December.  So my reasoning is, that is just too far out there at this point in time, to flush the month of December, and call it a loss wintry speaking, at least as of today.  

I said nothing about betting with somebody. I just didn’t understand the angst of some folks about December/and the up coming winter In general on 11/9? 

And that’s all there is to it on my end.  If it ends up warm and snowless(December and the rest of the winter)..I’ll tip the cap to em. 

21 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Casing point for the so-called warm trend the end of next week. Now one of the three major weather stations here in our state are calling for temperatures to get above 60 next Friday. Then next Saturday they calling for the 50s with rain. So there were some calling for temperatures in the 60s to near 70 the end of next week? What happened to that warming trend?

Weekend in 60s

Still a lot of uncertainty Tday week on guidance....it's all over the place. Until then, seems pretty boring....cold and dry this weekend and early next week (sans upslope snow showers....maybe a few flurries down here monday night) and then mild and dry late next week.....but a lot of guidance last night went with a mini-cold shot next weekend which wasn't really there before. That might affect the pattern Tday week just beyond that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Rather have that in early November though, than a month to 6 weeks from now. So let’s get it out of the way now…and as we close in on a more climo favored time, maybe things start to get more active. 

Wish it worked that way though. Mother nature will do whatever she wants. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I remember that V day storm well. It was 3-6” originally iirc. That 10-12” wasn’t wet either. Was a very cold storm. I mean look at those totals right to the canal lol. 

It was the gold standard for early season snowstorms for a long time until Oct 2011 (interior, not coast)

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Nice little stretch of Novie events from 86-89. 

There was a good snow to ice storm in the interior on Tday 1985 too....and of course the warning snow event in Nov 1980.....seems like the '80s were decent for November and spring snows, but were pathetic for actual winter snow.....lol.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There was a good snow to ice storm in the interior on Tday 1985 too....and of course the warning snow event in Nov 1980.....seems like the '80s were decent for November and spring snows, but were pathetic for actual winter snow.....lol.

You got that right! So many teases in certain Novembers... only to be living the first week of April all winter with the sporadic dry frozen tundra arctic blast

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Remember traveling back in from TDay game in 1985 in S ORH county and went from heavy rain to solid pellet fest! 

1 minute ago, Modfan2 said:

Remember traveling back in from TDay game in 1985 in S ORH county and went from heavy rain to solid pellet fest! 

We were at my grandparents in Holden, MA (just outside of ORH at 1000 feet) and we lost power mid-afternoon with a nasty mixed of pellets and ZR (had about 1.5" of snow before the changeover)....luckily, most of the dinner was already cooked, but some of the sides had to be finished on top of the wood stove.

There was already snow OTG too when that storm started because there had been a 2-3" snow event two days earlier. It was like a currier and ives week you'd expect near Xmas and not Tday. That was probably the best stretch of winter that season....lol.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

Was living outside of Harvard Square in Watertown first year out of college and missed the bus which were running on holiday schedule. I asked my roommate if he'd drive me to the subway so I'd be on time for dinner at my grandmothers, the roads were sleet and ice covered and he slid off the road on Brattle Street and banged up his car - felt really bad. He was so pissed he cancelled his TDay plans and went back to our apartment and got drunk.

16 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

yeah it won't be an abject torch with the propensity for AK ridging. i just think that most of the cold will be in the W US in December. if we get some blocking somehow, that's a different story. the weeklies are advertising a weak SPV so that may help

Thu 09 Nov 2023

Yeah I totally would not rule out a colder December yet. As you know, there certainly have been some cold December's in stronger EL Nino episodes. Those saying, "December will be warm b/c that's what climo says" are selling themselves short. I would not be at all surprised to see some blocking in December, maybe something along the lines of pesudo-blocking. Nothing thus far though I think is 100% convincing for a warm Dec.

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We were at my grandparents in Holden, MA (just outside of ORH at 1000 feet) and we lost power mid-afternoon with a nasty mixed of pellets and ZR (had about 1.5" of snow before the changeover)....luckily, most of the dinner was already cooked, but some of the sides had to be finished on top of the wood stove.

There was already snow OTG too when that storm started because there had been a 2-3" snow event two days earlier. It was like a currier and ives week you'd expect near Xmas and not Tday. That was probably the best stretch of winter that season....lol.

Looks like about 2” around here. I vaguely remember that.  Ironically it was a mild month overall. 

24 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Looks like about 2” around here. I vaguely remember that.  Ironically it was a mild month overall. 

Yeah the pattern flipped the final week of the month. Late Nov 1985 and Dec 1985 were very cold....we prob left some potential on the table in Dec 1985. It was like a -5 month, but not all that snowy.

That's a fascinating all or nothing (warm vs winter) frontal boundary/wave train out there in the extended 06z GFS.  It looks like 70's with severe on one side, with mix/snow shots running up the west side, over a span of 200 miles during the week of thanks giggedy. 

Also, so long as we're cooking hotdogs ... if the model run were to go out another kielbasa couple of days, that last wave would hyper bomb roughly along ATL to ISP

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ma blizzard said:

can we get a nov 2002 icestorm repeat sometime soon? 

I don't recall the 11/2002 ice storm.  December 11-12, 2008 though, I remember that one.  We were doing some Christmas shopping at the North Shore Mall or one of the other MA malls and as we got back into NH we stopped off at the Best Buy plaza in Portsmouth.  When I stepped out of the car I slipped on the just-starting-to-freeze-up ice and laughed.  Mostly because it was a decent day and I wasn't really expecting ice at that point.  Told the wife and kids that our last stop needed to be quick so we can get home before the roads get too icy.  

Seven days later we got our power back...

• Like 1