Rochester 1.2 E              1.4 in    0830 AM 11/09   COCORAHS             
3 NNE Northwood              1.4 in    0900 AM 11/09   Trained Spotter      
2 ENE Northwood              1.4 in    0912 AM 11/09   Trained Spotter      
Rochester 3.4 ENE            1.3 in    0700 AM 11/09   COCORAHS             

...Sullivan County...
1.3 NW Newport               1.5 in    0700 AM 11/09   COOP     
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Of course it helps to augment ridging in the SW NAO region with two tropical systems pumping heat into it.

That's what I'm wondering yeah.  Cuz the last few runs didn't have that much -NAO response, but they also didn't have that TC capture, either.   Those two are likely connected per this run

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That's what I'm wondering yeah.  Cuz the last few runs didn't have that much -NAO response, but they also didn't have that TC capture, either.   Those two are likely connected per this run

I just had a good laugh and that's all it's worth. I know you get it. And In November it doesn't really bother me. But total flashbacks to last winter there.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Really interesting to see some potential for tropical activity within the next 10 days. This may be a long shot but there may be a system in the Gulf late weekend/early next week which could materialize into something and the GFS has been really hinting at a pretty power Caribbean storm later next week or next weekend. Now of course neither of these will have an impact on our sensible weather, but when looking at this from an atmospheric perspective and forcings...this could be a clue of how the pattern could evolve moving through the second half of the month.

Are there any specific things you would be looking for (generally) that coincide with or reinforce this atmospheric pattern going forward?  What would you want to see over the next 3-5 days that would build confidence in the pattern taking shape and eventually impacting New England weather?  I'm assuming that the weather impact on New England would be of the winter variety...?

3 minutes ago, Layman said:

Are there any specific things you would be looking for (generally) that coincide with or reinforce this atmospheric pattern going forward?  What would you want to see over the next 3-5 days that would build confidence in the pattern taking shape and eventually impacting New England weather?  I'm assuming that the weather impact on New England would be of the winter variety...?

A great place to really start is always the Pacific but the overall hemispheric pattern can provide a good signal...especially when its a ridge/trough pattern and everything is on the progressive side. You can get an idea of where your ridges/troughs will be 3-5+ days out. It's not always this clear cut but identifying where your troughs/ridges are can help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Really interesting to see some potential for tropical activity within the next 10 days. This may be a long shot but there may be a system in the Gulf late weekend/early next week which could materialize into something and the GFS has been really hinting at a pretty power Caribbean storm later next week or next weekend. Now of course neither of these will have an impact on our sensible weather, but when looking at this from an atmospheric perspective and forcings...this could be a clue of how the pattern could evolve moving through the second half of the month.

Damn, that's close to a destructive storm.  Maybe a half day faster with the TC, or slower with the trough.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

A great place to really start is always the Pacific but the overall hemispheric pattern can provide a good signal...especially when its a ridge/trough pattern and everything is on the progressive side. You can get an idea of where your ridges/troughs will be 3-5+ days out. It's not always this clear cut but identifying where your troughs/ridges are can help.

Thanks.  Supposing the GFS is correct about a Caribbean storm, do the general mechanics and evolution of a storm in that location impact where the ridges and troughs eventually line up in a consistent manner?

Sorry if these are very basic questions and most here already know these answers.  I'm interested in better understanding the predictions at longer lead times so I can relate what I'm reading from folks here to what I'm seeing on the models.  I appreciate anyone who takes the time to explain these answers for the Nth time so I can attempt to keep up!

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Had a few flakes at 9:20 but nothing more until 10:50.  Lgt snow since then, but temp is 32-33 and we're almost to solar noon, so unless it snows a lot harder, we'll not have more than a trace.  Only place the flakes are surviving is on the upturned edges of the few oak leaves still on the tree.  Timing is everything.

Edit:  Radar shows a short burst of mod snow now coming overhead, so maybe a tenth or 2 to whiten the lawn.

20 minutes of moderate snow brought 0.2" and dropped the temp back to 30-31, but now beginning to let up.  "Flakes" were not quite spherical things about 1/16 diam, but not graupel.  Not much but first white ground.

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

So I was reading Kevin’s posts about thanksgiving week and then looked at GEFS and realized they are cold that week.   

Been a model war of sorts of Tday week....GEFS have been colder the last few runs while EPS are slightly above normal.

25 minutes ago, Layman said:

Thanks.  Supposing the GFS is correct about a Caribbean storm, do the general mechanics and evolution of a storm in that location impact where the ridges and troughs eventually line up in a consistent manner?

Sorry if these are very basic questions and most here already know these answers.  I'm interested in better understanding the predictions at longer lead times so I can relate what I'm reading from folks here to what I'm seeing on the models.  I appreciate anyone who takes the time to explain these answers for the Nth time so I can attempt to keep up!

I don't think that storm will really have an impact in that manner, but typhoons in the PAC (especially recurving Typhoons) can alter the downstream pattern significantly. @Ginx snewx and @Typhoon Tip can go into biblical details on this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Where is the "torch" people were talking about? And what constitutes a "torch" in November. Last year it got up into the mid 70's here more than once. I can understand that being called a torch. But is a 60F day in November a torch or just a sort of normal warm November day?

Next Wednesday through next Saturday/Sunday should be 5-15 degree anomalies. 

4 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Where is the "torch" people Kevin is talking about? And what constitutes a "torch" in November. Last year it got up into the mid 70's here more than once. I can understand that being called a torch. But is a 60F day in November a torch or just a sort of normal warm November day?

Fixed

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1