• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Mid/Long Range Discussion

WxUSAF

A little while ago I said that I would look at driest Nino winters since 1980 and snowfall for the Valley.  The driest was 87-88 with 64% of normal precipitation (12.20").   I received 18 inches of snow which is 75% of normal snowfall for that winter.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Soooo...a pretty canonical Nino look with us on the northern edge of the positive monthly precip anomalies?

Yes, and that can be dangerous to those looking forward to a Nino wet winter.  Which only happens 43% of the time in my locale.

I know we're all rooting for PSU to get his first inch by December, but I think in an El Nino year with 65-66 being one of the top analogs, we have a bit more leeway. The first inch didn't happen until January in both IAD and BWI.

So this may be an exception to the rule. Stay off the ledge until at least January 15.

And then do whatever you want after that date if we don't see any snow by then... but do so at your risk! If you get hurt or worse, don't sue me.

805097187_Screenshot2023-11-21at4_21_10PM.thumb.png.c6e9642c12309b194906aba6d68b50a9.png

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

I know we're all rooting for PSU to get his first inch by December, but I think in an El Nino year with 65-66 being one of the top analogs, we have a bit more leeway. The first inch didn't happen until January in both IAD and BWI.

So this may be an exception to the rule. Stay off the ledge until at least January 15.

And then do whatever you want after that date if we don't see any snow by then... but do so at your risk! If you get hurt or worse, don't sue me.

805097187_Screenshot2023-11-21at4_21_10PM.thumb.png.c6e9642c12309b194906aba6d68b50a9.png

If we don’t get an inch until January, this board will implode 

36 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

If I’ve had to bump the futility thread because we are shutout through Dec 20 the mood in these parts will be bleak coming off the negative snow obs of the last several years…

46 minutes ago, LeesburgWx said:

If we don’t get an inch until January, this board will implode 

This board imploded sometime in March of last winter.  We're just trapped in the event horizon of the supernova remnant.  That's why the PSU inch joke seems to be stretching to infinity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, brooklynwx99 said:

ECMWF extended really dropped the strength of the SPV compared to yesterday... ends up weaker than average for most of December now

ezgif-4-b64b29ba4c.gif.b64ede52b3394b0344d4b8edf9b1aeea.gif

Resulting in this from the GFS / GEFS for early December. Hoping for a favorable look up top as we near later December, or even sooner, to better coincide with mid to late December snowfall climo.  

F_e_seJawAAOhPI.jpeg.af6bf68cfb42f3a029b3b96842c3daf9.jpeg

F_fAVp1akAArrOm.jpeg.fef3cf23eece08b9cf2e75c59f54579e.jpeg

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Shaulov4 said:

Haha thank you, I have been lurking in the background for sometime and have been standing in the shadow of PSU and the crew for a long time, going way back to the Accuweather days. Moderated at another forum that shall not be named until it got too crazy, so just happy to be part of a community again. Oh and hello to a good friend @winter_warlocknice to see you ;).

Heyy ty bro! Good to see u again!!! I was part of another forum i wont name but they got tooo weird and controlling. Im glad to be back here where i joined 13 years ago !! This is the best weather group!!!

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic