Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Mid/Long Range Discussion

WxUSAF

8 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Sorry…if we don’t go from drought to flood status with feet of rain and highs in the 20s for thanksgiving then we might as well pack it up! And Ji and Chuck have already cancelled next winter. So see you in late 25??

But what does PSU think?  Has he gotten his first snowfall so we can uncancel the winter cancel based on how much he gets before winter starts?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Terpeast said:

We're already in mid-winter form.

Canceling winter before it even starts.

In a -PDO/+ENSO battle like this season, there's going to be a lot more of this.

At least it won't be boring like last winter.

Just look at the models... STJ is becoming more and more active.

We just need PSU to get his 1" by Dec 1 and we are gravy baby. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

We just need PSU to get his 1" by Dec 1 and we are gravy baby. 

I know this is mostly a joke now…but just throwing this out there, while the numbers are compelling that snow in the  colder parts of our region early is a good sign…it is, it’s also worth pointing out that the only 2 exceptions in the 75 years I looked at where our area got a snowy winter after not having an inch of snow here until after Xmas we’re both high analogs to this winter. 1987 and 1966.  On top of that when I ran the numbers for only ninos the snow mean falls more slowly than in all years.  

That said early is still better. Early opens up the best analogs like 1958, 1964, 2003, 2010. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

I know this is mostly a joke now…but just throwing this out there, while the numbers are compelling that snow in the  colder parts of our region early is a good sign…it is, it’s also worth pointing out that the only 2 exceptions in the 75 years I looked at where our area got a snowy winter after not having an inch of snow here until after Xmas we’re both high analogs to this winter. 1987 and 1966.  On top of that when I ran the numbers for only ninos the snow mean falls more slowly than in all years.  

That said early is still better. Early opens up the best analogs like 1958, 1964, 2003, 2010. 

That was my point there is factual data that supports your theory. I'm really vested in seeing if your area can cash in sooner than later.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

can it be much colder than normal and not snow due to bad luck and still be a good?

Just now, Ji said:

its not as good as you think...its due to about 5 members giving us severe snow...including one 25 incher...but ya its fun

yeah I saw... but I'll take a "window" in late November that gives us a chance at a blockbuster over a 32 degree storm where I pray for .5" in the urban hellscape of DC. 

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

yeah I saw... but I'll take a "window" in late November that gives us a chance at a blockbuster over a 32 degree storm where I pray for .5" in the urban hellscape of DC. 

the biggest takeway is betwee Thanksgiving and Dec 3rd...the euro has us solidly below normal temps...so there is a pretty sustained window to get at least one event...psu's inch

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Ji said:

the biggest takeway is betwee Thanksgiving and Dec 3rd...the euro has us solidly below normal temps...so there is a pretty sustained window to get at least one event...psu's inch

this is just shameful friends....shame on you e39

index (6).png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 11

5 minutes ago, Ji said:

this is just shameful friends....shame on you e39

index (6).png

Lmao it has snowfall rates of 2 plus inch per hour and gusts to 80 over the Delmarva. I mean it does technically have a 1/50 chance of happening right? I mean we can round 1/50 to like 10/50 and at that point why not 50/50 ... thats how math works so tell everyone about our guarantied blizzard. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Weenie 1

3 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Quite contraire mi amigo....there is no joke therein. This is pretty serious stuff. 

It seems most winters, there's some word or phrase that just becomes the "meme" of that year.  The first inch thing might just be this year's!!!  Remember in 2016, around the time of the blizzard, it was the word "amped"...and I'm sure "-PNA" has appeared many times!

3 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Ok, I ran some numbers for DCA.  For the period 1950-forward, the correlation between temps and snow gets stronger as you go through the winter.  We root for cold and hope for precip.  Snow on the vertical axis, temp departure from current norms on the horizontal axis.

Interesting note on the final (full season) chart.  The two 20"+ winters that were above normal temps were due to HECS (1983, 2016).  So, you want to have a full-season negative departure or you are praying for a fluke.

1920377227_DCADecemberTempsvsSnow(1950-2022).png.ccc6f191d05d0d333cd1f6b06a32a843.png

190151601_DCAJanuaryTempvsSnow(1950-2023).png.f371c9bc07effb78e2a6c8a1920c2640.png

962409393_DCAFebruaryTempvsSnow(1950-2023).png.42afd91e21b9a4549757e4de05c7dcaf.png

573450077_DCAMarchTempvsSnow1950-2023.png.3ccbbafec5d2d85a65dcd27c58db44ca.png

92692785_DCADec-MarTempsvsSnow(1950-2022).png.49d2eeb231a9b3f9744407b1ce6a6398.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic